L245 Oil Pressure Light

AshleyBS55

Equipment
L245DT 4WD
Sep 30, 2013
Palestine, WV, US
I just got my L245DT back from a Kubota dealer after having new seals and bearings put on the front wheels. As soon as I started it up, the oil pressure light came on. I checked oil and it was about 1/2 qt. low and dirty so I changed it using manual recommendation of SAE20. The oil light still came on so I went with a heavier weight (15W-40). When I started it the engine light did not come on, but as I used the tractor to move dirt with my end loader, it came on and didn't go off. I'm sure the fact that it came on after coming from the dealer is a coincidence. Any thoughts on what the problem could be? It never came on before I sent it in for repairs.
Thanks.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
The oil pressure light comes on when the oil pressure is 7 PSI or less.

Best thing to do would be to connect a mechanical gauge at the block where the oil pressure sending unit is attached to see what it reads. It could be a bad sending unit. The sending unit can be replaced for probably <$20 and you can easily do it yourself.

Your engine light situation most likely had absolutely nothing to do with the service you had the dealer do.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I just got my L245DT back from a Kubota dealer after having new seals and bearings put on the front wheels. As soon as I started it up, the oil pressure light came on. I checked oil and it was about 1/2 qt. low and dirty so I changed it using manual recommendation of SAE20. The oil light still came on so I went with a heavier weight (15W-40). When I started it the engine light did not come on, but as I used the tractor to move dirt with my end loader, it came on and didn't go off. I'm sure the fact that it came on after coming from the dealer is a coincidence. Any thoughts on what the problem could be? It never came on before I sent it in for repairs.
Thanks.
Not sure your tractor falls into the ol camshaft plug problem - however, that sounds like it. I agree that it should NOT have anything to do with the dealer....just bad coincidence, but a badddd problem. I hope it is your gauge or sending unit that is bad.

read this :
http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4169

I would not be using straight 20 anyway - even though that is an "older" model tractor, 20 is ok in the warm, but I would much rather a little less viscous oil in the winter. THe 15w-40 that you placed in, is ACTUALLY a lighter weight to begin with, it has modifiers to make it behave like a heavier oil.

WHen you engine got warm, the viscosity of the oil got less, and the pressure dropped.....under the min.

read up on oil properties:
http://www.kewengineering.co.uk/Auto_oils/oil_viscosity_explained.htm

AshleyBS55

Equipment
L245DT 4WD
Sep 30, 2013
Palestine, WV, US
85Hokie, you're right. When the engine warms up, that is when the pressure drops and the light comes on. What weight oil should I use in an engine this old. The weather's been warmer than usual and I've usually run the 20 with no problems.

D2CAT, I'm gonna borrow, hopefully, a gauge and check the sending unit. I'm assuming it's at the end of the only wire that runs from the dash at the engine block.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
For motor oil, 15w40, or 30wt will be fine. Just make sure the oil is for a diesel. I started using shell Rotella 15w40 when I did the first oil change on mine. After that, I've been using a semi synthetic 15w-40 from Mobil since. But that's because I've been refilling the jugs from the bulk tank at work :D

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
Yes, go to the link 85Hokie sent...page 23, Fig 55 shows it.

If you were setting on the tractor seat, the sending unit would be in front of your knee! It's on the back of the engine, left side, towards the top, with one wire coming off of it.

AshleyBS55

Equipment
L245DT 4WD
Sep 30, 2013
Palestine, WV, US
Thanks, Guys. I found it just before I checked back and saw all the posts regarding the location. I don't have a way to check it so for $25 I ordered a new one. If it works, great. If not, I'll know it's not the sending unit.
Another question, in addition to a screw holding the wire, it appears in order to replace the unit, there's a plastic piece that turns, kinda like on the headlights of a car. Is this correct? I don't want to start trying to turn this piece and have it break because I did something wrong. This was my first tractor. I now also have a smaller Kubota BX2660. But my L245DT has been my learning curve. I've done a lot with it and wouldn't have been successful without all the help from the people here on OTT. So thanks to everybody in the past.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
Not sure what you're referring to. "plastic piece that turns..." When you get the new sending unit, just compare. I think the unit unthreads, and the new one threads in. Attach wire and you're done!