L235 hydraulic issue

Rosgood14

Equipment
L4305DT
Jun 5, 2016
Sweeny, TX, USA
I just traded for a L235 4x4 kubota and it has a hydraulic issue. I was told the hydraulics were getting weak so the guy changed the pump, filter, and fluid. I can see that it is a brand new pump and filter and I also asked what fluid he used and he said it was the recommended kubota fluid now that's just his words. After he did that the hydraulics were super slow and he for whatever reason pulled the line off of the bottom of the pump and blew air through it and maybe other places as well not too sure. Well now the hydraulics do nothing. Not even a hint that they want to move. Also when you drive it for a bit the hydraulics get super hot which tells me that the fluid is only going one way and is getting hot. Need to know where to start on this. I'm pretty good with mechanics but don't know jack about hydraulics so use simple words. Thanks

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
if the hydraulics are getting hot - that would tell me that the pump is working, otherwise the fluid would just sit. Wonder if the relief valve is stuck open? Or there might be a blockage somewhere inline?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Too hot of hydraulic fluid is caused by the hydraulic system going into overload.
It is usually caused by a restriction of the relief valve not allowing proper flow, or by the 3 point valve or feed back being maladjusted.

I'll send you a link to download the WSM for that tractor, it will give you troubleshooting advice.

Rosgood14

Equipment
L4305DT
Jun 5, 2016
Sweeny, TX, USA
Ok sounds like what I thought just don't know where to start. I would greatly appreciate the diagram you have so I have somewhere to start.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
A month or so ago someone had a similar problem after installing an new pump. Seems the problem was he left one of those plastic plugs in place during assembly.

Rosgood14

Equipment
L4305DT
Jun 5, 2016
Sweeny, TX, USA
if the hydraulics are getting hot - that would tell me that the pump is working, otherwise the fluid would just sit. Wonder if the relief valve is stuck open? Or there might be a blockage somewhere inline?
Could you send me link for WSM plz sir. I would really appreciate it.

ehenry

Equipment
BX22, FEL, BH, 40" pto tiller, 42" Bushog Squealer, pto hole digger, B7300 w/60"
Mar 25, 2014
Canton, MS
Wolfman, you have a pm.

Rosgood14

Equipment
L4305DT
Jun 5, 2016
Sweeny, TX, USA
Ok so update. I just got through taking the pump off and checking all the holes to make sure there was not a plug left in it. I also tore apart the block that's on the left side of the seat where fluid goes in and out of. There's a little spring in there if that helps you understand what part I'm talking about. I cleaned it all out and made sure it looked good. I also just flushed the entire system with a diesel mixture for a little bit and then cleaned it all out and put new fluid in. Also the old fluid was definitely bad and my dad said it had water in it. But after all that still nothing. The 3 point does not even budge. When I pull the lever up and down it feels like it is free and loose. It will actually fall down on its own. I worked the 3 point up and down manually trying to get fluid to work in and it too is free and loose. What do I need to check next and I know someone said something about a valve being stuck. Where would I find that on the tractor. Thanks

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
First you need to know if you are actually moving hydralic fluid!
Does it have power steering? and if so is it working?

If not you need to crack the pressure line at a fitting that feeds the block and make sure you get fluid.

Rosgood14

Equipment
L4305DT
Jun 5, 2016
Sweeny, TX, USA
It does not have power steering and yes the pump is working. I pulled off the bottom line and it's definitely pumping. I'm pretty sure the reason it got hot the first time is because there was a line disconnected that I guess hooked up to the FEl originally. I also found a pic of the pressure relief valve and I saw in the pic there were only 2 shims although it said 3 and mine actually had 2 shims on one side of the spring and 2 shims plus what looked like a washer it was pretty thick on the other side of the spring. So I took all of them out except 2 shims and put them in like the diagram showed but still nothing.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Onward and forward.

Have you turned the knob under the seat for three point speed, while it only adjusts the speed on the down cycle it will lock the system if turned all the way one way (look on the cover it should say.

As far as the floppy control that just a mater of adjusting the lock nuts that put tension on the washers that give it resistance.

Next would be to check for the connections and the proper adjustment of the feed back rod, it's connected on the left hand side from the rock shaft and the case which in turn goes to the valve.

Rosgood14

Equipment
L4305DT
Jun 5, 2016
Sweeny, TX, USA
So I tried adjusting the feedback rod and I tightened it all the way up and loosened it all the way and never heard or noticed the relieve valve do anything. So maybe I'm not noticing it or maybe it's not moving at all. Should I have heard it start working or what

Rosgood14

Equipment
L4305DT
Jun 5, 2016
Sweeny, TX, USA
Ok so I got some movement and maybe will find the culprit tomorrow. Originally there was fluid coming out of the pump before I changed the fluid that had water in it. Don't know if it was the right pressure or not but my dad was over tonight and got to checking things and don't have hardly any pressure coming from the pump so we pulled the plug on top of the pump that's next to the filter and it was sucking it's ass off but still nothing so we poured some fluid in that little hole and the hydraulics started working so I'm gonna get a new filter just in case that's the problem plus I'm gonna pull the line off where it comes off the tank just to make sure there's nothing stuck in it. Will let you know what I find