L235 hydraulic block.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Hey Folks, this has been a super useful thread for me. I am trying to tap off of that block for a similar reason. Any idea what the connection type is for that block to the hard lines? The block on my L235 has 3/8 NPT but it goes to the compression fittings on the hard lines like in the picture. Are those just swagelock? or are they something different. I ask because putting T's in to get another line running is PITA. Thanks!
You can't run a tee in it, it won't work.
What are you trying to do?
They are JIC connections not swagelock.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
If your existing block cover has only one outlet, then you cannot tap into the block. You need a replacement cover ( 35300-36720 ).

The stock cover simply connects the inlet to the outlet. The single plug that you are looking at covers the passage that was drilled between the two. To provide hydraulic power to accessories, the replacement cover has two ports and no connection between the inlet and outlet.

The bad news is the covers are hard to find and expensive. The good news is you can make your own OR there are two people you can buy a cover from for a very reasonable price (Oldmanhokie and myself). With the help of this forum, we have designed a universal cover that fits many of the older models, including the L235.

Please see this thread for more information on the hydraulic block in general, dimensions for making your own and the OTT-designed universal version cover: https://www.orangetractortalks.com/...ck-diverter-70060-00360-or-70070-00385.56471/

gyroscopic_effect

Equipment
Kubota L235 with FEL and Century 7600 Backhoe
May 1, 2022
Southern Tier NY
Thanks for the replies! Though it was a long shot given the age of this thread :).

NI Wolfman: they are not JIC. They are just like a swagelok. Why can't I use a T? The current connections come out of the block at a right angle just like in the previous pictures in the thread here. So the fluid can clearly make a right angle turn and work fine i wouldnt be using the loader and the backhoe at the same time.

Torch: my block has two outputs like in the pictures on this thread. I was able to grind down the very end of my one T so that it can spin so I may have the block figured out. But the T that goes on the central channel for the return, and T just doesnt want to cooperate. I was thinking of doing an NPT to the "swagelock" so I dont need to make the swing of the elbow but want to confirm type of connection.

Attachments

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Hey Folks, this has been a super useful thread for me. I am trying to tap off of that block for a similar reason. Any idea what the connection type is for that block to the hard lines? The block on my L235 has 3/8 NPT but it goes to the compression fittings on the hard lines like in the picture. Are those just swagelock? or are they something different. I ask because putting T's in to get another line running is PITA. Thanks!
Post a picture of what you currently have along with some details of what you want to do.

Dan

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I think this is the fitting that I need.

I doubt it. Good chance the OEM tube is not a US tube size. You need to measure it to know what it is.

Same goes for the female port in the block. I'd bet its BSP not NPT.

I will have to look at the parts diagram for the tractor to see exactly what I am looking at in that picture. But if your goal is to hook up a new valve you do not use a tee. This tractor has an open center hydraulic system and the valve goes in series.

Dan

gyroscopic_effect

Equipment
May 1, 2022
Southern Tier NY
I doubt it. Good chance the OEM tube is not a US tube size. You need to measure it to know what it is.

Same goes for the female port in the block. I'd bet its BSP not NPT.

I will have to look at the parts diagram for the tractor to see exactly what I am looking at in that picture. But if your goal is to hook up a new valve you do not use a tee. This tractor has an open center hydraulic system and the valve goes in series.

Dan
The T's that I bought are 3/8 npt and fit (or seem to very well I know thread sizes can be tricky) The issue is that compression fitting in the picture. I can measure it but would need to know what I am measuring against.

So ill ask again, why cant I use a T? the current set up is those steel lines that go to hydraulic hoses to the FEL See pics in that BF400 thread mine is pretty identical. It is a kubota FEL BF400. I would just be running off the T to hydraulic hoses to the valve pack on the backhoe. Not sure why its different.

Cheers!

gyroscopic_effect

Equipment
May 1, 2022
Southern Tier NY
Hmm I think I am starting to smell what you are stepping in... so the backhoe only has a goesinta and goesoutta line. So that would be for a closed center? Whereas the BF400 has two goesintas so thoes are actually flowing through the valve but bypassing and the return line only returns when there is flow thorough the implement. Am I understanding this correctly?

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
The T's that I bought are 3/8 npt and fit (or seem to very well I know thread sizes can be tricky) The issue is that compression fitting in the picture. I can measure it but would need to know what I am measuring against.

So ill ask again, why cant I use a T? the current set up is those steel lines that go to hydraulic hoses to the FEL See pics in that BF400 thread mine is pretty identical. It is a kubota FEL BF400. I would just be running off the T to hydraulic hoses to the valve pack on the backhoe. Not sure why its different.

Cheers!
BSP and NPT will screw together and are easily confused. But the thread flank angle are different and they will not seal correctly. Take care - you are flirting with an expensive mistake. You need to positively identify the thread type before screwing anything new into that port.

Your hydraulic system is open center and all valves have to be in series to maintain pressure. I am not going to take the time here to conduct a lesson just look at the diagram below. If those three hard lines are the loader plumbing they are:

1. Pump pressure out to the loader
  2. Pump pressure return from the loader, aka power beyond (PB) or high pressure carry over (HPCO)
  3. A low pressure tank return from the loader.
You need to identify which lines are which and plumb your backhoe supply and power beyond into the HPCO side of the loader valve:

1. Remove the existing HPCO pipe between the loader and the tractor.
  2. Connect the HPCO port on the loadervalve to the pump IN on the backhoe valve
  3. Connect the HPCO port on the backhoe valve to the pressure in port on the block
  4. Tee the backhoe valve tank return into the loader tank return.
Dan

1652011505488.png

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Hmm I think I am starting to smell what you are stepping in... so the backhoe only has a goesinta and goesoutta line. So that would be for a closed center? Whereas the BF400 has two goesintas so thoes are actually flowing through the valve but bypassing and the return line only returns when there is flow thorough the implement. Am I understanding this correctly?
No but closer. Its open center. see the diagram I I just posted.

Dan

gyroscopic_effect

Equipment
May 1, 2022
Southern Tier NY
And as I was explaining this to my wife I found an problem. I dont think this backhoe has an HPCO line. Ill have to dig a bit deeper into that. Thanks again!

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Ok this makes way more sense now. Thanks! That diagram is really really helpful.

So I think I know how to hook this all up now. Will let you know how it goes. Thanks!!

Cheers!

-G
I would suggest you focus your connection efforts on the loader valve end rather that the hydraulic outlet end. Does your backhoe have a power beyond port? If not you will be using the tank port as a power beyond feed to the downstream device.

Dan

gyroscopic_effect

Equipment
May 1, 2022
Southern Tier NY
I would suggest you focus your connection efforts on the loader valve end rather that the hydraulic outlet end. Does your backhoe have a power beyond port? If not you will be using the tank port as a power beyond feed to the downstream device.

Dan
From what I am getting from the manual this backhoe can be configured to run with PB. Need to start taking things apart so I can see the valve better. They reference a PB kit, so need get the details on that kit to see if I can just make it :) . Thanks again for the explanations. Really made this a lot clearer.

gyroscopic_effect

Equipment
May 1, 2022
Southern Tier NY
From what I am getting from the manual this backhoe can be configured to run with PB. Need to start taking things apart so I can see the valve better. They reference a PB kit, so need get the details on that kit to see if I can just make it :) . Thanks again for the explanations. Really made this a lot clearer.
looks like that surge relief valve is the key component.

If i get this to work ill need to make another thread with the details. I am sure there are other folks with these types of backhoes.

Attachments

torch

Equipment
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Torch: my block has two outputs like in the pictures on this thread. I was able to grind down the very end of my one T so that it can spin so I may have the block figured out. But the T that goes on the central channel for the return, and T just doesnt want to cooperate. I was thinking of doing an NPT to the "swagelock" so I dont need to make the swing of the elbow but want to confirm type of connection.
A picture is worth a thousand words -- that's not the same 2 piece block as pictured in the first part of this thread:

That looks like a one-piece unit, similar to the L275 block posted by olthumpa later on in the thread.

I wonder if there was a design change at some point that applied to multiple models rather than a difference in the models themselves?

I think we need more pictures -- or at least, more information. I can see at least 3 lines in the picture. One appears to be a return to the tank, then the two to the block. There's also something peaking out at the left side, just above where those 3 bend down and behind the valve handle but I can't be sure if that is a hydraulic line or a control lever. Where are the 3 lines leading? Do you have an existing attachment (you mention "backhoe" in passing) fed by those lines? As in, you have an existing backhoe and are trying to add a FEL?

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
looks like that surge relief valve is the key component.

If i get this to work ill need to make another thread with the details. I am sure there are other folks with these types of backhoes.
That manual page is quite definitive if you understand the terminology. The surge relief is unrelated to power beyond. The power beyond kit referenced is typically just a sleeve that screws into one of the tank ports on the valve. That creates two separate circuits inside the outlet section of the valve. One is the high pressure center flow and the other is the low pressure tank return flow. You will not make that power beyond sleeve - it is valve specific and you will have to purchase it from the valve supplier. Slow down and ask questions. You are a quick learner but there is a lot to learn.

Dan

P40 Valve Power Beyond Conversion Sleeves
Top - SAE-10 by SAE-08
Bottom - 1/2" G thread by SAE 8

20220114_082051.jpg

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
A picture is worth a thousand words -- that's not the same 2 piece block as pictured in the first part of this thread:

That looks like a one-piece unit, similar to the L275 block posted by olthumpa later on in the thread.

I wonder if there was a design change at some point that applied to multiple models rather than a difference in the models themselves?

I think we need more pictures -- or at least, more information. I can see at least 3 lines in the picture. One appears to be a return to the tank, then the two to the block. There's also something peaking out at the left side, just above where those 3 bend down and behind the valve handle but I can't be sure if that is a hydraulic line or a control lever. Where are the 3 lines leading? Do you have an existing attachment (you mention "backhoe" in passing) fed by those lines? As in, you have an existing backhoe and are trying to add a FEL?
Its just another "high rise" variant and apparently part of the BF400 kit which also came with all of the hard lines for the quick attach loader. Nice tidy and well integrated installation. Part number for the outlet block was 70764-62710.

Dan

1652014231871.png

Last edited:

torch

Equipment
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Yeah, I was starting to suspect it was something like that. The block is probably nothing more than two elbows inside.