L225 block heater?

08k8

Equipment
L2000DT
Feb 13, 2012
Illinois, USA
The recent thread about a block heater on a b series got me thinking about my old L225. This engine has a conventional freeze plug, where the b series has a threaded port.

Is there a block heater for my L225?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Depending on the lower radiator hose you could use the Kats inline hose type, Or depending on the size of the freeze plug in your engine Kats sells some that take the place of the freeze plugs.

Rob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6000DT / B7100DP /B8200DT/L225/Globe PTO Chipper/Lewis Backhoe/huxley TR66
Nov 22, 2009
Leafy England....
Please talk to me about this whole block heater thing guys, need to know what they do and if they are worth it.

rob

08k8

Equipment
L2000DT
Feb 13, 2012
Illinois, USA
I agree on both the Katz products, BUT I do not think that I could fit the radiator hose unit without making a complete mess of the plumbing. There is a very short 90 deg lower radiator hose, so IMO, it wouldn't work.

I have seen the generic block heaters for freeze plug replacement.. Basically, I'm unsure of how much room is inside the water jacket in this area.

Kubota's parts list doesn't show an option for this machine. Are there any successful installations out there?

08k8

Equipment
L2000DT
Feb 13, 2012
Illinois, USA
I did look @ the tractor, it appears that this is a 32mm freeze plug.

Kat's lists 11461 for a 32mm drive in heater. I presume you hammer the plug into the block.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
08k8,
Bingo that's the right one, the sleeve makes up for the lack of block clearance! Yes you just drive it in with a hammer.

Rob,
Block heaters are great when you temps drop into the 30's or below, keeps the oil thin and the block warm and much easier to start.
One issue you might have is acquiring one that works with UK power, you use 230V @ 50hz as a norm and we use 120V @ 60hz. So no US versions are going to work for you, unless they are the 240V type, then you would just have to change the plug end.

08k8

Equipment
L2000DT
Feb 13, 2012
Illinois, USA
ok- I'm having a bit of trouble finding the Kat's 11461 available to purchase. Looks like Napa might be the only place?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Does it matter which one I use?
No it does not matter they all go to the same place and do the same thing.

Note: There is on some models a freeze plug that actually goes to the oil cavity, it is in the front on some motors. Just make sure the plug is the same size as the kit sleeve and that it go into the steel block sides.
Oh and drain the water/anti freeze out before pulling the plug or you'll wear it! ;) Also have a pan or bucket as sometimes not all the water/anti freeze will drain out.

08k8

Equipment
L2000DT
Feb 13, 2012
Illinois, USA
Update::

I bought the heater from Napa, which was the only place that I could find it. Katz discontinued this unit, but apparently Napa still has stock because they were packaged with the NAPA logo just below Katz.

The heater works great. Directions say to install in the center freeze plug hole. Not possible on the L2000/L225. Mine went in the front freeze plug hole.

Be carefull driving the old freeze plug out. You will hit a cylinder liner so, just take your time and wiggle it once it's loose. No worries- it will not fall down into the block cavity.

Enjoy!

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Hmmm, I see there's a very timely response here on OTT!
Am bringing this old thread up since it is on on same topic as my new question. New question is for purposes of installing a freeze plug heater in MY L225 tractor not those brought up previously in this thread. Sorry my bad. Did not communicate well.

Moving forward; will 31.8mm O'reilly unit linked above work or is that not close enough in tolerance to 32mm previously mentioned?

Last edited:

CountryBumkin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370 w/LA243, Bucket, Grapple, QA Pallet Forks, 60" MMM, rear blade & rake
Sep 27, 2015
Central FL
Am bringing this old thread up since it is on on same topic as my new question. New question is for purposes of installing a freeze plug heater in MY L225 tractor not those brought up previously in this thread. Sorry my bad. Did not communicate well.

Moving forward; will 31.8mm O'reilly unit linked above work or is that not close enough in tolerance to 32mm previously mentioned?
I don't think anyone will know unless they did this exact install. The 32mm size referenced could be an "approximate" size whereas it is actually 31.8mm.
Can you get a freeze plug from Kubota Dealer and measure with calipers - or get the O'Reily part and return it if is doesn't fit (but get a new replacement Freeze plug from dealer just in case you need to put a plug back in, if O'Reily doesn't fit).

Why not just get a block heater from Kubota so you know it will fit? Or call Messicks and see what they have http://www.messicks.com/search?q=block heater

Last edited:

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
I don't think anyone will know unless they did this exact install. The 32mm size referenced could be an "approximate" size whereas it is actually 31.8mm.
Can you get a freeze plug from Kubota Dealer and measure with calipers - or get the O'Reily part and return it if is doesn't fit (but get a new replacement Freeze plug from dealer just in case you need to put a plug back in, if O'Reily doesn't fit).

Why not just get a block heater from Kubota so you know it will fit? Or call Messicks and see what they have http://www.messicks.com/search?q=block heater
according to the Messicks site they do not sell an OEM or OEM like, block heater for the L225. Probably too old a model for such animal. Assume this is why no one who responded to the OP suggested an OEM product.. but one should never assume.

I got the O'Reilly one on order. There's a store right by my work. Good Idea to get a replacement plug just in case. They have those on the rack.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Mention is made regarding the machine owner being in the UK.

Surely a freeze plug-type insert block heater is available to match local electrical requirements. But..

If not, the heateer is nothing but a resistive heating element. And if operating at twice the US-nominal rated voltage then the unit will use only have the rated amps.

If a 120-vac unit was all I could find, I'd be inclinced to risk the money, change out the male plug to the local standard, test it in a water bath before installation, determine it works, install it, and forget about it until it someday fails.

I suspect it will work fine, even though we all know from experience that crap happens.

Another observation based on the foregoing posts: a block heater is the best thing since sliced bread for diesel engine winter starts. Saves the battery and the engine, over time. Add an on-board battery tender and you've got a primo cold weather machine (add also fuel cetane enhancer / degelling material for winter).

Please post back your continuing experiences so we may all learn.

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Simple and strait answer, NO, it will not work because there is not enough room in the water jacket for the heating element to fit.
You are correct. It was close though. only 1/8th inch or so too deep.

Called Messex. So far they find nothing generic for this model either.

Last edited:

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Update::

I bought the heater from Napa, which was the only place that I could find it. Katz discontinued this unit, but apparently Napa still has stock because they were packaged with the NAPA logo just below Katz.....
Because this was said here to be discontinued..... didn't even search for it.

Since my Oriely's 32mm Zero start I ordered was a smidge to long, decided to search for the Kats one mentioned. Found few options. For more info see my install thread

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?p=161906

Last edited: