L175 Leaking Petcock w Pics

Diesel N8

Equipment
Kubota L175, Bush Hog.
Dec 27, 2016
Lincoln, California
Hey everyone thanks for helping me out with my previous post, this time I have a issue with my petcock which is dripping fuel all the time and I dont know why. So today I ran into two problems on my petcock part itself. One is that this retainer clip I think im not sure what its name is, broke when I tried to pull it out by pinching both holes and pulling out but it broke clean in half. And then this o-ring sort of part broke apart on the metal peice that is the petcock itself maybe, so I now need these two parts somehow and I hope it fixes my issue otherwise it could be another gasket thats above the metal housing itself?

20190702_204527.jpg

UPDATE
Fixed issue with correct oring, it is on the last post on this thread.

Last edited:

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
The broken clip is called a Snap Ring, internal style. Pretty generic part available at most hardware and bearing places. The sealing ring, perhaps it once was an O ring but it is hard to tell after all these years. Trial and error method to find one which will work otherwise a new petcock. Clean both areas where the O ring seats.

The sealing ring was likely cracked and causing the leak.

Buying an assortment of snap rings on Amazon for $12 will likely save you lots of running back to get a different size to try.

https://www.amazon.com/Glarks-Inter...ial&ie=UTF8&qid=1562152009&sr=1-1-spons&psc=1

Dave

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
Concur with Dave_eng excellent post above it is an internal snap ring (or another name is Circlip).

It's very likely the broken piece is what was once a very pliable o-ring many years ago. Over time they become plasticized (brittle) and conform to the shape of the bore/groove.

Both are commodity items and generally sized based on the bore/piston diameters. It should be relatively easy to procure these at a good hardware store. Take the old parts with you and it should be easy to match up.

Suggest purchasing the correct size snap ring pliers to make installation easier. Just be careful there are internal and external specific pliers and some can do both positions.

Good luck with the repairs.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I would take the petcock with me to a good hardware store. They will have a drawer of metric O-rings, and a drawer of the clips.

Look for an O-ring that is as wide as the space it fits into and has an inside diameter equal to the OD of the petcock where the O-ring sets. The O-ring needs to be able to go into the hole the petcock fits into without any play, but not so big of outside diameter to not allow it to fit in there. That is way others have suggested an assortment.

It would be nice if you had a caliper or micrometer to actually measure the diameter needed before looking.

Do you have a snap-ring pliers to help with the assembly? If not you can purchase an inexpensive set a Harbor Freight. That will greatly assist you in the reassembly.

The O-ring seals it, the snap-ring keeps it in place.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Also keep in mind that the 'o' ring has to be diesel compatible, not all 'o' rings are the same material and not all are diesel compatible.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
You can get the parts from Kubota directly if you want.

Rebuilding parts are available or the whole assembly should be available at the dealer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You can get the parts from Kubota directly if you want.

Rebuilding parts are available or the whole assembly should be available at the dealer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I priced the valve... that was 4 hours ago, I'm just getting off the floor now.
$75 some odd dollars! :eek:

Diesel N8

Equipment
Kubota L175, Bush Hog.
Dec 27, 2016
Lincoln, California
Concur with Dave_eng excellent post above it is an internal snap ring (or another name is Circlip).

It's very likely the broken piece is what was once a very pliable o-ring many years ago. Over time they become plasticized (brittle) and conform to the shape of the bore/groove.

Both are commodity items and generally sized based on the bore/piston diameters. It should be relatively easy to procure these at a good hardware store. Take the old parts with you and it should be easy to match up.

Suggest purchasing the correct size snap ring pliers to make installation easier. Just be careful there are internal and external specific pliers and some can do both positions.

Good luck with the repairs.
Thanks I just bought those snap ring pliers today because you mentioned it.

Diesel N8

Equipment
Kubota L175, Bush Hog.
Dec 27, 2016
Lincoln, California
I priced the valve... that was 4 hours ago, I'm just getting off the floor now.
$75 some odd dollars! :eek:
Do they have the parts with it as well? 75 is quite a lot :eek: but I am looking for orings that are fuel compatable and not oil rated which should be interesting to find.. I just a generic oil oring from napa but I plan on getting one thats fuel rated so it wont dry up or crack as quickly.

Diesel N8

Equipment
Kubota L175, Bush Hog.
Dec 27, 2016
Lincoln, California
The broken clip is called a Snap Ring, internal style. Pretty generic part available at most hardware and bearing places. The sealing ring, perhaps it once was an O ring but it is hard to tell after all these years. Trial and error method to find one which will work otherwise a new petcock. Clean both areas where the O ring seats.

The sealing ring was likely cracked and causing the leak.

Buying an assortment of snap rings on Amazon for $12 will likely save you lots of running back to get a different size to try.

https://www.amazon.com/Glarks-Inter...ial&ie=UTF8&qid=1562152009&sr=1-1-spons&psc=1

Dave
Thanks for telling me its a snap ring, I went to napa and they gave me an equal sized ring. And that oring that broke was dry and brittle which I believe is from the 70s but who knows, but I hope I find one that fits well and is diesel rated hopefully.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Do they have the parts with it as well? 75 is quite a lot :eek: but I am looking for orings that are fuel compatable and not oil rated which should be interesting to find.. I just a generic oil oring from napa but I plan on getting one thats fuel rated so it wont dry up or crack as quickly.
They do not show a break down of the valve. :(

007kubotaguy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100DT L245DT JD 2355
Dec 23, 2012
Herald Calif.
Hello
I see you are in California. If you send me a PM I will mail you the correct o ring.
Lance

Diesel N8

Equipment
Kubota L175, Bush Hog.
Dec 27, 2016
Lincoln, California
Hello
I see you are in California. If you send me a PM I will mail you the correct o ring.
Lance
I will pm again because something went wrong on my end, but the oring I got from napa does not fit it entirely the oring is loose and so it continues leak so I think this is the issue of my leak.

In Utopia

Equipment
L175 FEL
Apr 21, 2013
Utopia,Tx/Pasadena,TX
I will pm again because something went wrong on my end, but the oring I got from napa does not fit it entirely the oring is loose and so it continues leak so I think this is the issue of my leak.
Are you sure the one you got was metric?
A few years ago I replaced mine from one out of a metric selection box I bought from Harbor Freight. Knocking on wood as I type.