L175 gaining oil, losing fuel

Orange Tractors

Equipment
L175 w/Woods L59, Allis Chalmers WD
Jul 19, 2009
Butler, MO
Went to start the L175 today for some dreaded yard maintenance, picking up limbs and then mowing. Did not happen.

When I checked the oil, it was about an inch and a half higher than it was when I last used the tractor:confused:, (2-3 weeks ago). I immediately thought uh oh, cracked head; but the coolant level was right where it should be.

The fuel level seemed to be pretty low considering how much I used it last time, but I didn't check it when I was done using it either.

Is there some way for diesel to leak into the crankcase? Hopefully easily repairable.

The oil on the dipstick seemed thin, which also lends credence to it being diluted by diesel. It felt oily and was still black, I didn't think to smell it.

Thanks for any ideas,

Robert

The and filter only have about ten hours on them since I serviced the tractor this spring. I just haven't used it much this year.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Sadly it's not a cheap or easy fix, the fuel is getting to the oil via the injection pump, the pumps bad and leaking into the crank case. :(

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Could be a couple of things. The easier is the fuel injectors. Pull the injectors, hook them back up to the injection lines. Put a piece of cardboard or paper under the injectors. And check the spray pattern. If they are pouring fuel instead of a good spray pattern then that could be your issue. And they either need to be rebuilt or replaced. Check prices for both options to make an informed desiscision. If your getting a good spray pattern then it's probably a more expensive fix. Use caution, when doing this. Make sure and wear safety glasses and do NOT CHECK SPRAY PATTERN WITH YOUR HANDS!!!

The more expensive and harder repair is it could be an issue with the injection pump leaking fuel internally back into the crank case.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
May be worth while to change the oil and see if it does the same thing again before you start getting worried. Or at the very least drain the oil down to the proper level then try it again.

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
Does an L175 have a mechanical fuel pump before the injection pump? If it does that is where I would look first.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Does an L175 have a mechanical fuel pump before the injection pump? If it does that is where I would look first.
It should, and is a good first place to look.
As suggested by Bulldog, I would drain the oil and change it, and the filter. Then, until you can determine where it is leaking, you could use the fuel shutoff (should be at the fuel filter) when not in use.

In Utopia

Equipment
L175 FEL
Apr 21, 2013
Utopia,Tx/Pasadena,TX
It should, and is a good first place to look.
As suggested by Bulldog, I would drain the oil and change it, and the filter. Then, until you can determine where it is leaking, you could use the fuel shutoff (should be at the fuel filter) when not in use.
Fuel shutoff on my 175 is right at the tank.
There is no fuel pump, it's gravity feed to the injector pump.

Orange Tractors

Equipment
L175 w/Woods L59, Allis Chalmers WD
Jul 19, 2009
Butler, MO
Sadly it's not a cheap or easy fix, the fuel is getting to the oil via the injection pump, the pumps bad and leaking into the crank case. :(
That's what I figured. Unfortunately I really don't want to spend my almost nonexistent $6-700 on a new injection pump.

Fuel shutoff on my 175 is right at the tank.
There is no fuel pump, it's gravity feed to the injector pump.
At least I know the fuel shut offs location and that it works, or did, from when I had to rebuild the steering box a few years ago.

I think I will try changing the oil and using the fuel shutoff first, although I wonder how much fuel will leak into the crankcase while the engine is running.

Still, fixing it would be cheaper than buying a new (to me) tractor.

Robert

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
There is also the "supposedly easy" hydraulic pump seal replacement when gaining oil.

I am trying that on my L185 (with a bit if parts difficulty). Search for my similar thread with a plea for some help posted today.