L1500DT 4x4 System

wvshooter

Dec 11, 2012
WV
Does anyone have schematics for the L1500DT four wheel drive system?

Looking at it, I believe the front axle is hydraulically engaged. I have changed out my fluids and the front axle still doesnt seem to engage. Does the tractor have to be moving to engage the front axle? Is it possible I just need to clean the valve and housing?

Also, Am I correct in that the rear final drives are part of the same resevoir as the rest of the transmission, but just have their own sump drains?

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I could be wrong, because I don't have an L1500. But, from the best of my knowledge, no small Kubota tractor has a hydraulically-engaged 4WD system- they are all manual. Also, I don't believe any of them have a front axle that engages or disengages- the axles, gears, and driveshaft turn all the time, and engagement happens inside the transmission case. So, I would surmise that either you haven't engaged the 4WD lever, there is an issue in the transmission, driveshaft, or within the front axle, where power transmission is disrupted.

wvshooter

Dec 11, 2012
WV
You are right about the axle itself not disengaging. The front final drives, axle and driveshaft are always turning when the tractor is in motion. There is a small box that come off the side of my transmission that the front drive shaft comes off of. The driveshaft then runs up the left side of the frame to the front axle.

I am just guessing about the hydraulic issue yet. It is entirely possible that the front axle just needed to spin a bit to lock in, not sure. Otherwise, there is an issue in that box that I need to address.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Also, Am I correct in that the rear final drives are part of the same resevoir as the rest of the transmission, but just have their own sump drains?
I drained out the fluid on my l185F transmission using the 2 drain on the bottom and the 4 plugs on the axle cases (6 plugs total)

I only put fluid into the main transmission fill port (on top of the case behind the gear change lever) after draining the rear axle case. I loosened the upper plug on the rear axle case and fluid came out so I know that fluid was now at the upper plug on the axle case. The only way that fluid could be there is that it came from the transmission case.

Everything points to the fact that the case and axle are all lubricated by the same fluid chamber. The WSM and operators manual also indicate the same thing (no positive statement of the fact though).

wvshooter

Dec 11, 2012
WV
Thanks for the confirmation on that! My loader is much happier with a new filter and new fluid. Now I just need to get this 4WD figured out.

jhodge

Apr 21, 2014
Youngstown, OH
To engage 4wd, pull the lever on the transfer case up with clutch pedal depressed.
The transmission and rear end are all connected and lubricated with the same fluid.

daniel.ray77

Equipment
1976 Kubota L225DT
Nov 16, 2009
Salt Lake City, Utah
Your L1500DT has the same driveline as my L225DT. If the 4wd is working properly, the shaft on the left side running up to the front axle should spin whilst the tractor is moving regardless if in engaged or not. If you disengage it and it doesn't spin then you've lost a connection up in the fron axle either at the differential or at either end of the front axle. My dad "exploded" the front diff in our tractor and it took me 8 years searching salvage yards to find a replacement. Im quite familiar with our tractors so let me know if you ahve any additional questions.

Dan

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
My 4wd tractors have a splined connector between the output shaft and the front differential propeller shaft. The connector has a rolled pin through it between the shafts to keep it from sliding off of the connection. I have had that pin break and the connector slide far enough one way or the other to lose the connection, The repair was simple. Just slide it back into place and install another rolled pin.

Last edited:

Corney

Equipment
L1500DT, front end loader, mower, tiller, snow blower
It appears that my front differential is not engaging into 4x4 on my new to me L1500DT.

This pin that is spoke of in the previous post, I am curious where I would find that? The shaft is turning on the left hand side of the tractor going forward. There appears to be a coupler in the line towards the front. Is that it?

It was about -40C with the windchill yesterday when I was trying to blow snow. I didn't waste mush time looking at it!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The shaft is turning on the left hand side of the tractor going forward. There appears to be a coupler in the line towards the front. Is that it?
You need to lift the front end, with both tires off the ground if you turn one tire what happens to the other?
Now lift it again picking up one front tire leaving the other one on the ground and try turning it.
Does the tire turn?
Does the propeller shaft that goes to the rear turn?
Disengage the 4wd lever, try turning the tire, what happens?
Then reengage the 4wd lever, try turning the tire, what happens?

Corney

Equipment
Wow that's a pile of questions and no answers! Lol

I really appreciate your feedback and I will check this out as soon as I can. What is suppose to happen at each stage?

Thanks again for the quick response.

daniel.ray77

Equipment
1976 Kubota L225DT
Nov 16, 2009
Salt Lake City, Utah
Sounds like your problem is similar to mine with my L225DT (L2000DT) which is the three cyllinder version of your tractor. My front diff was completely destroyed and that part is VERY hard to come by if at all. I do have a contact for a place that found mine. Last time i checked they had at least one more. Pricy little bastardos.

Corney

Equipment
You need to lift the front end, with both tires off the ground if you turn one tire what happens to the other?

The other tire turn the opposite direction.

Now lift it again picking up one front tire leaving the other one on the ground and try turning it.
Does the tire turn?

Yes
Does the propeller shaft that goes to the rear turn?

Yes
Disengage the 4wd lever, try turning the tire, what happens?

Forgot to do this stage on!

Then reengage the 4wd lever, try turning the tire, what happens?
I hope this is enough information to trouble shoot this? We did change the front diff oil as well as part of our service. We are a little unsure of the qty of oil that should go back in there.

daniel.ray77

Equipment
1976 Kubota L225DT
Nov 16, 2009
Salt Lake City, Utah
I believe its .9 quarts in both final drives and 1.1 quarts in the front diff. On each final drive and at the differential , there is a fill port and drain port. JUst fill all three until you see oil at the fill port. Can't go wrong. Even if you are above or below the recommended amount, you'll be fine as long as the big gears can catch enough oil and throuhg around to coat everything else.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I hope this is enough information to trouble shoot this? We did change the front diff oil as well as part of our service. We are a little unsure of the qty of oil that should go back in there.
Really need the answers 2 the last 2 questions as they will give the result where the problem is.

Corney

Equipment
I believe its .9 quarts in both final drives and 1.1 quarts in the front diff. On each final drive and at the differential , there is a fill port and drain port. JUst fill all three until you see oil at the fill port. Can't go wrong. Even if you are above or below the recommended amount, you'll be fine as long as the big gears can catch enough oil and throuhg around to coat everything else.
I found 3 drain plugs but only on fill port? It was on the left side of the tractor.