L1500 Radiator Cap?

JCHopkins

Equipment
ZEN-NOH ZL1500
May 7, 2010
Montgomery,TX
I checked the coolant in the radiator yesterday and noticed it was low. I also noticed the radiator cap needed to be replaced. I purchased a 13 psi cap from the autoparts and refilled the radiator. Then after mowing for about 30 minutes my radiator sprung a leak. Was this bad luck or did I install the wrong psi. cap? Thanks, John

P.S. This is a great forum I just found it recently and it has helped me tremendously.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Have you checked it to see if its leaking anywhere else other then just the cap? It could be a freak thing that it came from the cap but more commonly theres a leak somewhere in the coils of the radiator tank.

JCHopkins

Equipment
ZEN-NOH ZL1500
May 7, 2010
Montgomery,TX
Have you checked it to see if its leaking anywhere else other then just the cap? It could be a freak thing that it came from the cap but more commonly theres a leak somewhere in the coils of the radiator tank.
It is definitely leaking from one of the coils in the radiator, not the cap. I was just wondering if I used the wrong psi cap and that is what made it let go. I am going to take the radiator to a shop today after work to get repaired. I'll see what he has to say.
John

handyman

Equipment
Kubota B7100HST-E
Sep 18, 2009
Dayton,Tn.
Like I told a friend of mine been trying to do that since it was new. ;)Comes with age in other words. Hope thats all that goes for a while.handy

Monte

Equipment
L1500DT
Nov 10, 2009
Geeveston, Tas, Australia
This happened to my L1500DT and I got it recored for around $350 Aus.The guy that recored it wasn't all that impressed with the quality of the original core and said the recore would last much longer.

Cheers

Monte

JCHopkins

Equipment
ZEN-NOH ZL1500
May 7, 2010
Montgomery,TX
Well I got my radiator back today and the guy said since the old cap wasn't holding pressure that was where my coolant was leaking. Then when I replaced it the increase in pressure found a weak spot in the radiator hence the new leak. So he soldered it up, I reinstalled it with new hoses and fresh 50/50 mix. Then I mowed for several hours and everything is great. Thanks, for the help. :)
Next I will be replacing the clutch :(

handyman

Equipment
Kubota B7100HST-E
Sep 18, 2009
Dayton,Tn.
Jc I hope not the clutch, baby that thing. If you do there are several people on the forum that has done the same thing and can lead you down that road;).handy