I wonder if they will be able to upgrade the tier IV motors

Reactions: 1 user

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
Of course they'll be able to upgrade - just add money. Will they WANT to upgrade is the more important question. Is the upgraded DPF really as trouble free as the video suggests? I'd hold off for a year or two after its introduction to see. In most cases there are bugs and unknowns in new products.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Interesting! Bet it would take a whole new engine etc.

ruger1980

Equipment
L4310 w/La682, L225
Oct 25, 2020
CNY
The standards mentioned are Europe's Stage 5 emission regulations. The US is still at Tier 4 standards and no further standard has been issued.
These are just DPF equipped engines with minor tweaks to meet the newer standards for reduced PM. In reality their previous engines met or came close to these standards. And they are using them here now and have been for some time.
I know the Kubota engines we use have been Stage 5 rated since the requirement went into effect.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
The standards mentioned are Europe's Stage 5 emission regulations. The US is still at Tier 4 standards and no further standard has been issued.
These are just DPF equipped engines with minor tweaks to meet the newer standards for reduced PM. In reality their previous engines met or came close to these standards. And they are using them here now and have been for some time.
I know the Kubota engines we use have been Stage 5 rated since the requirement went into effect.
5 is coming to the usa sooner or later
some excavators are already using tier 5 capable engines in the usa market. The big complaint with excavator operators is having to run 1800-2000 RPM to regenerate, making it much harder to inch the hydrualic functions. So Kubota was already using some versions of lower rpm regeneration stuff in european markets, and tried a few in the usa. The operators love them. You'll see more of them on tractors, etc sooner or later. While not a huge difference between 1800-2200 regen rpm to 1200-1400, it is a step in the right direction. a better step in the correct direction is to get rid of the dpf altogether which I am certainly a proponent of, assuming it can still meet emissions requirements. To date, that can't be done-well it can be physically, but as of now the dpf system is the most cost effective

Dennis.D

Equipment
L6060, Erskine hydraulic snow blower, back hoe
Feb 16, 2018
Central, ME,USA
I don't have any issues with the way my Gr L6060 regens. The only time it's in any way an inconvenience is if I'm done for the job and ready to shut the tractor off and it is in regen. I have to leave running at 2000 RPM's for max 20 min usually it's 10 to 15 min. ( that's if it just started when I was done). In 400 hours I only remember doing that maybe 2 times. I won't interrupt a regen cycle once it has started. I've seen the % to regen go down when I'm operating at PTO speed. (2900 RPM). The longer I have it the less attention I pay to it.

Reactions: 1 users

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
I don't have any issues with the way my Gr L6060 regens. The only time it's in any way an inconvenience is if I'm done for the job and ready to shut the tractor off and it is in regen. I have to leave running at 2000 RPM's for max 20 min usually it's 10 to 15 min. ( that's if it just started when I was done). In 400 hours I only remember doing that maybe 2 times. I won't interrupt a regen cycle once it has started. I've seen the % to regen go down when I'm operating at PTO speed. (2900 RPM). The longer I have it the less attention I pay to it.
Same experience here with my L3301.... non issue.

If people really really are freaked out about DPF's they could always consider buying new Kubota's from places like Malaysia, etc.... that are DPF free and have it shipped?

Sure it takes up half a shipping container which before supply chain / covid debacle would run $3,000 + brokerage but given the much lower prices and since many shop distant dealers anyways who make delivery you can actually save a few bucks!!

Downside you need to be handy to make most of your own repairs unless you have a local tractor / diesel shop who uses the aftermarket digimaster clones or Kubotas open source software program and of course warranty which most rarely use anyways (haha). DOubt many local Kubota shops will provide service with open arms.... However more and more companies do service vehicles imported from England/etc.. when people bring them over so who knows?

Something to consider for those who are very anti pollution control.
Then you can get a brand new / higher hp / older tech. style tractor that is brand new!

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Same experience here with my L3301.... non issue.

If people really really are freaked out about DPF's they could always consider buying new Kubota's from places like Malaysia, etc.... that are DPF free and have it shipped?

Sure it takes up half a shipping container which before supply chain / covid debacle would run $3,000 + brokerage but given the much lower prices and since many shop distant dealers anyways who make delivery you can actually save a few bucks!!

Downside you need to be handy to make most of your own repairs unless you have a local tractor / diesel shop who uses the aftermarket digimaster clones or Kubotas open source software program and of course warranty which most rarely use anyways (haha). DOubt many local Kubota shops will provide service with open arms.... However more and more companies do service vehicles imported from England/etc.. when people bring them over so who knows?

Then you can get a brand new / higher hp / older tech. style tractor that is brand new!
If it’s like everthing else to be imported… in order to clear Customs it must meet current EPA standards…. so that plan won’t work.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
If it’s like everthing else to be imported… in order to clear Customs it must meet current EPA standards…. so that plan won’t work.
So all the cocaine, meth, fentanyl, etc coming through Customs is FDA approved? 🤔

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
So all the cocaine, meth, fentanyl, etc coming through Customs is FDA approved? 🤔
I said EPA. (but, do you think all the meth/fentanyl is being offered for inspection?)

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.

common consensus but with an experienced importer, importing non conforming is not that difficult to do especially if you are using them off road and/or for agricultural purposes.

some farms are full of stuff with motors imported that is not EPA approved.

Cheers
🚜

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
common consensus but with an experienced importer, importing non conforming is not that difficult to do especially if you are using them off road and/or for agricultural purposes.

some farms are full of stuff with motors imported that is not EPA approved.

Cheers
🚜
I do not think the EPA has much to do with approving anything about a "motor", but they are pretty big in controlling engines though.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
LOL - You don't have to be "ANTI-POLLUTION" (nice buzz phrase) to be "anti stupid pollution INCREASING DPF scheme". They are not mutually exclusive.

The newer direct injection engines are 95% of the way there on their own. There are other, better ways to do it and the video above is one example.

We have yet to see ANY dpf scheme make it 20 years let alone 50 or 100. So in a few years when it is time to replace your $3000.00+ filter (todays price).....