Kubota Super utd fluid alternative

kubotafreak

Equipment
GRAND l6060, L3560, B6100, gr2100, tg 1860, g1800, g1900, g2160
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
Oh no! Not trying to make this political are we? LOL

For me there is no SUDT alternative. PERIOD. End of story.
Not trying, accidentally did. Unfortunately politics is in everthing regardless if we want it there or not.

ACDII

Equipment
B2410, L352 Loader, Woods BH70-X backhoe
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
Ol' North Idaho Wolfman says Mystic JT5 is his only acceptable substitute. Don't know if you have it available near you.
The synthetics I've found cost about as much or more than UDT2.

Thanks to this it saved my day. Kubota near me is sold out of UDT2, and all I had were 2 quarts on hand, figuring that would be enough to fill the filters and keep it at the line on the stick until the fluid got back on the shelf. I did NOT expect to have 2 gallons gush out when I removed the filter for it's 50 hour change and now am STUCK with a tractor that wont move. Thankfully the local Farm and Fleet has the 5 gallon pail in stock so I can get the tractor out of the shop.

Who's bright idea was it to not have a check valve to prevent the entire case of oil gush out when the filter is removed!!!! What a freaking mess it made!

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Who's bright idea was it to not have a check valve to prevent the entire case of oil gush out when the filter is removed!!!! What a freaking mess it made!
Stop and think about that, a check valve to keep the oil from flowing into the suction filter!!!!!!!!!!!!o_O

Reactions: 1 users

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
If anyone thinks that the Super UDT is too expensive a lubricant to use, then why did you buy a Kubota? You should have purchased a Mahindra, or even better buy a Jimma. Then it wouldn't matter what lubricant you put into it, because they will never last as long as a Kubota. I have a sneaky suspicion that you drive a Yugo!;)

Reactions: 1 users

ACDII

Equipment
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
Stop and think about that, a check valve to keep the oil from flowing into the suction filter!!!!!!!!!!!!o_O

They have a way to prevent drain down on the fuel filter, why not the same thing on this massive filter that gushes out 2 gallons a minute?

ACDII

Equipment
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
If anyone thinks that the Super UDT is too expensive a lubricant to use, then why did you buy a Kubota? You should have purchased a Mahindra, or even better buy a Jimma. Then it wouldn't matter what lubricant you put into it, because they will never last as long as a Kubota. I have a sneaky suspicion that you drive a Yugo!;)

Not too expensive, UNAVAILABLE! There is a difference! If a couple gallons of a very close fluid gets the tractor out of the shop until the correct stuff is available, then it isn't being cheap, its getting the job done.

My B2410 has been using nothing but JD spec'd hydraulic fluid for 20 years now. Hasn't blown up, and still gets the job done without complaints.

Is there some magic sauce in the UDT2? Does it gold plate the parts?

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Not too expensive, UNAVAILABLE! There is a difference! If a couple gallons of a very close fluid gets the tractor out of the shop until the correct stuff is available, then it isn't being cheap, its getting the job done.

My B2410 has been using nothing but JD spec'd hydraulic fluid for 20 years now. Hasn't blown up, and still gets the job done without complaints.

Is there some magic sauce in the UDT2? Does it gold plate the parts?
No, but it does keep them from wearing out prematurely. My comment was directed to the first post in this thread, and to those that think that Super UDT2 is too expensive for their very expensive Kubota tractor.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Thanks to this it saved my day. Kubota near me is sold out of UDT2, and all I had were 2 quarts on hand, figuring that would be enough to fill the filters and keep it at the line on the stick until the fluid got back on the shelf. I did NOT expect to have 2 gallons gush out when I removed the filter for it's 50 hour change and now am STUCK with a tractor that wont move. Thankfully the local Farm and Fleet has the 5 gallon pail in stock so I can get the tractor out of the shop.

Mystik JT5 bears little physical resemblance to SUDT2 - its essentially a UDT equivalent as listed on their product label. A much closer equivalent would be JD HyGard lo-vis (J20D). As far as "secret sauce" goes they are all GL4 gear oils.

Dan

JT5

Viscosity @ 40C: 62.8 cSt
Viscosity @ 100C: 10.0 cSt
Viscosity index: 148
Brookfield viscosity: 18000 cP @ -35C

UDT

Viscosity @ 40C: 55 cSt
Viscosity @ 100C: 8.8 cSt
Viscosity index: 137
Brookfield viscosity: 4800 cP @ -20C

Hygard lo-vis

Viscosity @ 40C: 33 cSt
Viscosity @ 100C: 7.1 cSt
Viscosity index: 195
Brookfield viscosity: n/a

SUDT2

Viscosity @ 40C: 37 cSt
Viscosity @ 100C: 8.1 cSt
Viscosity index: 199
Brookfield viscosity: 16000 cP @ -40C

Last edited:

ACDII

Equipment
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
No, but it does keep them from wearing out prematurely. My comment was directed to the first post in this thread, and to those that think that Super UDT2 is too expensive for their very expensive Kubota tractor.

Gotcha. Took 2 gallons to fill it up, in a pinch UDT works, but once I can get a couple pails of UDT2 from the local dealer, I will drain and refill it. It will get me through the next batch of hay though and thats what matters, at least not dead in the water.

The supply chain woes suck, still waiting on the 3rd function/remote quick attach kit. With the way things go, they may both arrive at the same time.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
IF…he drives a Yugo… Perhaps we‘d better follow his example …because if he’s kept a Yugo running this long after Yugo production ended…..he is a MASTER MECHANIC who KNOWS how to maintain crummy equipment. 😂

My local Kubota dealer (Ewald.. quite a large group here in Texas)…actually tried REPEATEDLY to discourage me from buying SUDT2 for my ‘96 M4700 …telling me (arguing with me actually) that it was UN-necessary for my tractor.

I told him in NO UNCERTAIN terms I did not want his advice which was CONTRARY to my Owners Manual…. that my tractor LEFT THE FACTORY with SUDT and specifies it for the 600 hr service which I was performing.

That experience was very disappointing to me coming from an otherwise quite good dealership. (perhaps because he was thinking my non-HST/gear-driven tranny could live with UDT…. I don’t know…but he also had a LOT of 5-gal buckets of some off-brand generic I think he might be trying to get rid of.)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users

fast*st

Equipment
M7040, L2900, F550 ford, Yanmar vio70 excavator, Case 580, JD 350 dozer, JD 644E
Jun 26, 2012
Northern Mass
So, if buying orange oil gives you comfort, that's dandy. Kubota is kind of a prick for not sharing what its full on specification is for SUDT Super etc.

I had to change oil in a couple machines, I bought two barrels of Mobilfluid LT For a hefty John Deere wheel loader and a couple other hydraulic machines and a barrel of Mobil Delvac tractor hydraulic fluid for an M7040 and a cute L2900hst We're well out of warranty and I did find the DTH was a slightly higher viscosity than the mobilfluid LT and felt a tad more sluggish in extreme cold.

Look at it from a materials perspective, you want a tractor fluid that's a good quality and is meant to lubricate clutches and hydraulics. Some super cheap oils will help all the clutch material fall off no matter what color machine you put it in. A hydraulic pump is a pump, an o-ring is an o-ring and friction material and how its bonded to a friction disc whether car transmission, motorcycle clutch or tractor transmission built in in the states, Germany, Japan, Korea, they all need the same fluid properties.

I will say the oil coming out of the Kubotas is pretty clean if nobody leaves the parking brake on and drives around. Even the Deere is pretty good once the whole hydraulic system was painstakingly scrubbed out (bad previous owners) Orange machines are 4k hours and 2k hours the Deere is 28k hours and the Yanmar excavator is running about 2.5k. used hydraulic oil gets filtered and recycled back into the bulk diesel fuel tank

Buying oil by the drum saves on having a surplus of pails and jugs around as the company picks up the drums when they're empty for refilling.

Buy a good quality oil that's meant for the application at hand. If your oil changes are some distance apart, the cost of Kubota branded oils is small and the waste stream is also small

redrussian1

Equipment
LX3310HSDC, LA535 FEL w/ mechanical self-leveler, LX2963 SB, Landpride BB1260
Feb 10, 2022
Minnesota

Ditto! A check valve would've been too simple! I did my 50 hr this past weekend also and did the same thing, except I slowly let the hydraulic drain because I thought it wouldn't keep coming out. Now I need to pick up more oil at the dealer today in order to move it out of my driveway. Why tell me to change the hyd. and HST filters at the 50 hr when it should've said to change the fluid also?!

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
They're saying, replace the filters with new ones, you can reuse the old oil.

I actually read the 'how-to' section and it says to drain the oil FIRST then change the filter...AND to remove/clean the 'inlet ' screen.

dvcochran

Equipment
Kubota M9000, New Holland TN90, Deere 2640, Vermeer 504N, Vermeer 504SI, more
Feb 23, 2011
Dickson, TN
At KUBOTA super utd cost ( $100 plus ) I’m looking for same quality at less price
Thank you
What is your machine, mechanical transmission or hydrostat? There are huge differences.
If it is mechanical with or without a shuttle, any good brand that meets or exceeds the UDT specs will work fine. If hydrostat, I would not deviate from UDT2.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
So, if buying orange oil gives you comfort, that's dandy. Kubota is kind of a prick for not sharing what its full on specification is for SUDT Super etc.

I had to change oil in a couple machines, I bought two barrels of Mobilfluid LT For a hefty John Deere wheel loader and a couple other hydraulic machines and a barrel of Mobil Delvac tractor hydraulic fluid for an M7040 and a cute L2900hst We're well out of warranty and I did find the DTH was a slightly higher viscosity than the mobilfluid LT and felt a tad more sluggish in extreme cold.
I have posted the detailed properties and qualifying tests for SUDT earlier in this threafd. Should be pretty easy to find. It is pretty generic with two exceptions:

1) It has exceptional cold weather flow characteristics

2) it has exceptional water tolerance.

In those tests there are very few real equivalents.

Dan

Last edited:

TheMurf

Equipment
BX1880.with loader and 48 inch deck. 1990 Gravel 12G Riding tractor.
Jun 25, 2022
Upstate New York
I like oil debates. I ride a Harley which cost new over 30k..The Kubota BX over 19k with accessories. My Jeep is almost 60k new and the wife's accord over 30k. So, when you look at cash investment, what the heck is 100 bucks or so for oil ? It's like pissing in the ocean. The full synthetic, Spectro oil I use in my Harley is over 18 bucks a quart. Service the transmission primary, and engine the cost is over 100 bucks on a motorcycle .Why worry about 100 bucks a gallon for Super Kubota hydro oil ? I try to use the best lubricants I can.. I really don't care if they cost more. Money well spent IMHO.

Reactions: 3 users

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
Direct from Kubota USA - Valvoline direct replacement for UDT and Ashland Global Chemicals has direct replacement for Kubota SUPER UDT2 . Valvoline and Ashland are the manufacturers. Kubota just re-brands with their name like Northern Tool does with theirs.

all the additives / components and their amounts are listed in attached doc's

Personally I just buy the Kubota re-branded oil direct from my dealer as I found it cheaper than buying the Valvoline or AShland oils. Ashland really hard to get up here in Canada.

That being said Kubota does not make their own oils. They have it made by others and just put their name on it just like Northern Tool and so many others.

Direct from Kubota USA they tell use who makes their oil, part numbers, etc... here