Kubota Super utd fluid alternative

lmichael

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Apr 23, 2021
Rockford IL area
Knowing who brews it does not mean you can find that direct stuff from the company that brews it. The recipe is likely unique. So who knows the actual likelihood you will buy Valvoline XYZ and have it actually be the same or meet the specs of UDT2. Stuff like that is not worth screwing with. It's not like engine oils. I.E. My newer car requires 0w16 oil meeting Dexos (3) IIRC. As long as I buy oil meeting that spec I am good, but the transmission requires Toyota WS fluid. I go to the dealer and buy Toyota WS. Not gonna buy a "do it all" fluid.

Reactions: 1 user

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Knowing who brews it does not mean you can find that direct stuff from the company that brews it. The recipe is likely unique. So who knows the actual likelihood you will buy Valvoline XYZ and have it actually be the same or meet the specs of UDT2. Stuff like that is not worth screwing with. It's not like engine oils. I.E. My newer car requires 0w16 oil meeting Dexos (3) IIRC. As long as I buy oil meeting that spec I am good, but the transmission requires Toyota WS fluid. I go to the dealer and buy Toyota WS. Not gonna buy a "do it all" fluid.
Kubota says regular UDT is sn "acceptable" alternative to SUDT2 and it has nothing to set it apart from the generic UTTOs.

Dan

lmichael

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Apr 23, 2021
Rockford IL area
Kubota says regular UDT is sn "acceptable" alternative to SUDT2 and it has nothing to set it apart from the generic UTTOs.

Dan
Well yeah, and my Toyota indicates Dexron is a suitable if nothing else is available. But I'd have it towed to the dealer before I put Dexron in it

TheMurf

Equipment
BX1880.with loader and 48 inch deck. 1990 Gravel 12G Riding tractor.
Jun 25, 2022
Upstate New York
Old saying " Don't step over dollars to pick up dimes." You know when you buy the super UDT2 from the dealership it's factory backed product. You get a receipt the you purchased it and the dealership has your history of what you bought on their computer system..The extra few dollars spent is cheap insurance knowing your using factory products. If something goes wrong they can never say "You used something other than what the factory recommends therefore you voided your warranty."

Reactions: 1 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Well yeah, and my Toyota indicates Dexron is a suitable if nothing else is available. But I'd have it towed to the dealer before I put Dexron in it
If you were on vacation with family, and nearest dealer was 75 miles away ????

TheMurf

Equipment
Jun 25, 2022
Upstate New York
Messick's order. There the next day usually. Two days at most.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
some days you just have to 'pay the piper'.
if you really, really want to KNOW what it's made out of, a sample run on a GC will tell you. Then you'll need to run so called 'equals' as well, then choose which is the best match.
The 'premium UDT' and filter for my BX23S was about $150 last week, from dealer 7 minutes away..ALWAYS in stock and real pretty gals there !

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
some days you just have to 'pay the piper'.
if you really, really want to KNOW what it's made out of, a sample run on a GC will tell you. Then you'll need to run so called 'equals' as well, then choose which is the best match.
The 'premium UDT' and filter for my BX23S was about $150 last week, from dealer 7 minutes away..ALWAYS in stock and real pretty gals there !
$150 CAD is a pretty good price.... $112.50 USD
Messick's current price is $140 USD
I found some a year ago for $98.75/5 gal.....10 gal. now in my stocked parts.

TheMurf

Equipment
Jun 25, 2022
Upstate New York
$150 is not a lot when you consider you only service the transmission once every 200 hours and that's much earlier than the recommended 400 hours. You can correct me if I am wrong. Hell, with inflation at what it is now, $150 is a dinner for two,minus the tip in a nice restaurant today. When your done you walk out with nothing but a full belly and an empty wallet. If ,my math is correct $150 ÷ 200 = 0.75. So, that's 75 cents per 200 hours of usage for Kubota super transmission oil.

TheMurf

Equipment
Jun 25, 2022
Upstate New York
Here's the oil I use in my Harley's motor. 4 quarts plus a filter. That's not counting the primary oil and transmission oil which are separate on a Harley.

Now I consider this expensive oil..

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
$150 is not a lot when you consider you only service the transmission once every 200 hours and that's much earlier than the recommended 400 hours. You can correct me if I am wrong. Hell, with inflation at what it is now, $150 is a dinner for two,minus the tip in a nice restaurant today. When your done you walk out with nothing but a full belly and an empty wallet. If ,my math is correct $150 ÷ 200 = 0.75. So, that's 75 cents per 200 hours of usage for Kubota super transmission oil.
".75 cents per 200 hours of usage".... ?

Not quite!
.75 cents for each hour !

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
Here's the oil I use in my Harley's motor. 4 quarts plus a filter. That's not counting the primary oil and transmission oil which are separate on a Harley.

Now I consider this expensive oil..

Curious as to why you would pay twice as much for that brand?

TheMurf

Equipment
Jun 25, 2022
Upstate New York
Yes ¢75 cents per hour. My bad. Still what's that in the grand scheme of things? We are using more than that in diesel fuel per hour. Years ago I sent for oil specs and test results on various oils from different manufacturers independent lab analysis. I spent time studying them. Spectro IMO and Red Line are both high quality true synthetic products that exceeded other products. I've been using it in my bikes since the seventies. In 1997 I had my Harley in for service. The lead mechanic came out of the shop and said to me " Your bike is the quietest running and best shifting Harley I ever rode." The dealership went on to stock Spectro on their shelves along with Red Line. Customers ask for it. I also was in a BMW dealership upstate N.Y. The salesman was a Amsoil dealer.
He confided in me that he ran Spectro oils in his own bike. BMW oils at that time were made by Spectro in Brookfield Connecticut. I changed my Kubota BX's engine oil and filter at 21 hours. Used 15W40 Shell Rotella full synthetic.. I only use full synthetic oils. I also use Howells diesel treatment in the diesel fuel..I add Marvel Mystery oil to my gas powered equipment and run non ethanol gas. My 32 year old Gravely 12g rider runs like a top..When we removed the head off it to replace a broken exhaust stud the valves,head and piston top, cylinder looked like new.. Synthetic oil, regular changes, gas additive, and non ethanol gas I believe is why. Maintenance, high quality lubricants and care equals product longevity IMHO.

TheMurf

Equipment
Jun 25, 2022
Upstate New York
Bike is long since out of warranty.. Dealership in our area stock Spectro and Red Line oils.. Customer base asks for them. Harley says you can run their Syn3 oils in the motor, tranny and primary. 20w50 in all three holes. Funny the Spectro and Red Line Transmission oils are 75w-140. One ride you can definitely hear and feel the difference.

ACDII

Equipment
B2410, L352 Loader, Woods BH70-X backhoe
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
I like oil debates. I ride a Harley which cost new over 30k..The Kubota BX over 19k with accessories. My Jeep is almost 60k new and the wife's accord over 30k. So, when you look at cash investment, what the heck is 100 bucks or so for oil ? It's like pissing in the ocean. The full synthetic, Spectro oil I use in my Harley is over 18 bucks a quart. Service the transmission primary, and engine the cost is over 100 bucks on a motorcycle .Why worry about 100 bucks a gallon for Super Kubota hydro oil ? I try to use the best lubricants I can.. I really don't care if they cost more. Money well spent IMHO.

The point is not that about running a cheaper oil (well maybe for some) the point is what can be used in a pinch when you need the tractor back in the field and the nearest dealer is out of stock, not looking to get any for a week or two, and all you need is a few quarts? That was my case last year, no one had oil within 75 miles of me, but the local Farm and Fleet had an alternative that meets the specs. I was able to get my tractor back in service that day and not two weeks later while it takes up my trucks parking space.

What would you do if your Harley spits oil from a loose bolt, is an easy fix to tighten the bolt, but now your a quart low, it's a Sunday and the nearest Harley shop is 150 miles away? Wouldn't it be nice to find the nearest walmart and pop a quart in until you can get to a dealer?

Reactions: 1 users