Kubota Super utd fluid alternative

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Kubota says regular UDT is sn "acceptable" alternative to SUDT2 and it has nothing to set it apart from the generic UTTOs.

Dan
Where, exactly, does Kubota say that? (that their UDT has nothing to set it apart from generic UTTDs). ??

I see that makers of “generic” tractor hyd fluids claim their product is suitable “where Kubota UDT” is called-for…..but I will bet a case of good beer Kubota doesn’t say that. Anywhere or anytime.

(‘And I haven’t ever seen ANY generic tractor fluid claim it is a suitable replacement for SUDT2.)

Reactions: 1 user

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Where, exactly, does Kubota say that? (that their UDT has nothing to set it apart from generic UTTDs). ??

I see that makers of “generic” tractor hyd fluids claim their product is suitable “where Kubota UDT” is called-for…..but I will bet a case of good beer Kubota doesn’t say that. Anywhere or anytime.

(‘And I haven’t ever seen ANY generic tractor fluid claim it is a suitable replacement for SUDT2.)
I see that makers of “generic” tractor hyd fluids claim their product is suitable “where Kubota UDT” isl called-for….but I will bet a case of good beer Kubota doesn’t say that. Anywhere or anytime

Download a copy of the B7200 owners and workshop manuals. Both list about 8 generic UTTOs that are suitable equivalents. That list is not exhaustive - just some name brands that Kubota provided when they were still being honest about lubricants. You will find that same list in many manuals publishedvprior to the introduction of SUDT. Shortly after the development of SUDT truth in advertising died at Kubota and the manuals started promulgating marketing FUD.

My beer of choIce is Goose Island IPA but alas I have had to give all alcohol up due to failing health.

You can also look at any of the detailed specifications for UDT abd SUDT that I have shared here. I have also shared Kubotas technical report on the development of SUDT and the differrence vis-a-vis UDT and its generic counterparts. UDT is nothing special and many third parties make generic equivalents. SUDT2 is signidicantly different and there are only a handfull of other products that have equivalent properties. Anything that claims John Deere J20D performance would be a candidate.

Dan

Last edited:

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
According to the Official John Deere service manual for Lawn Tractors LX255,LX266,LX277,LX2 (TM1754), You Can use a SAE 5W or 10W30 Oil (Synthetic or Mineral) or John Deere HY-GARD™ J20C Oil.”

I doubt Kubota would support that sort of switcheroo however. (And if the B7200 manual lists 8 brands of UTTO…then that is not what I’d refer to as “generic”…. but instead would be “specific”…and I would not be afraid to use them in a 1983-90 B7200..

Sorry to read about your health issue. (Sincerely)

Can’t get Goose Island ….but I’ll place a case of Sam Adams Lager in my ‘fridge instead for anyone who shows up. :p

Last edited:

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
According to the Official John Deere service manual for Lawn Tractors LX255,LX266,LX277,LX2 (TM1754), You Can use a SAE 5W or 10W30 Oil (Synthetic or Mineral) or John Deere HY-GARD™ J20C Oil.”

I doubt Kubota would support that sort of switcheroo however. (And if the B7200 manual lists 8 brands of UTTO…then that is not what I’d refer to as “generic”…. but instead would be “specific”…and I would not be afraid to use them in a 1983-90 B7200..

Sorry to read about your health issue. (Sincerely)

Can’t get Goose Island ….but I’ll place a case of Sam Adams Lager in my ‘fridge instead for anyone who shows up. :p
You simply cant acknowledge it when you get too far out over your. skis. I am not going to be drawn into a obfuscatory debate over the semantics of "generic UTTO".

Nowhere did I say J20C and an alternative lubricant listed in a lawn tractor manual does not impress me as informative or relevant as regards the formulation of J20C. Thats what product specifications are for.

As regards SUDT I said J20D. That is Deeres version of a low viscosity UTTO with enhanced water tolerance - same sort of performance improvement Kubota specified for SUDT. Both hsve clear and well documented performances improvements over traditional UTTO formulations. Too bad Kubota prefers to marketing blather rather than fact in that regard.

Dan

Last edited:

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
You simply cant acknowledge it when you get too far out over your. skis. I am not going to be drawn into a obfuscatory debate over the semantics of "generic UTTO".

Nowhere did I say J20C and an alternative lubricant listed in a lawn tractor manual does not impress me as informative or relevant as regards the formulation of J20C. Thats what product specifications are for.

As regards SUDT I said J20D. That is Deeres version of a low viscosity UTTO with enhanced water tolerance - same sort of performance improvement Kubota specified for SUDT. Both hsve clear and well documented performances improvements over traditional UTTO formulations. Too bad Kubota prefers to marketing blather rather than fact in that regard.

Dan
Hokie..…YOU are the one who referred me to the B7200 Owners’ Manual as proof/reference to Kubota-authorization to use those fluids.… and my comment was to that switcheroo they pulled on using motor oil for fluid. The POINT being that that old Kubota apparently was not picky about what it had for fluid.
Hardly applicable to more modern tractors.
Don’t blame Me for looking into Your Referenced/Recommended manual.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Hokie..…YOU are the one who referred me to the B7200 Owners’ Manual as proof/reference to Kubota-authorization to use those fluids.… and my comment was to that switcheroo they pulled on using motor oil for fluid. The POINT being that that old Kubota apparently was not picky about what it had for fluid.
Hardly applicable to more modern tractors.
Don’t blame Me for looking into Your Referenced/Recommended manual.
The new Kubotas are not picky either. UDT is acceptable for use according to Kubota. Given that there is no good reason to think a premium UTTO is unacceptable and Kubota does not go so far as to say that. The reason is real simple - they cant justify such an assertion and know it.

Dan

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
The new Kubotas are not picky either. UDT is acceptable for use according to Kubota. Given that there is no good reason to think a premium UTTO is unacceptable.

Dan
Isn’t that within certain ambient temperature regimes?

My local dealer tried to get me to use UDT in my M4700…arguing with the customer (me) about what I wanted to use for the 600 hr service. (He actually tried to sell me some off-brand universal stuff he had on sale cheap…but I insisted on genuine Kubota.…so he sold me 15 gals of UDT.

When I got home I was reading my Owners Manual and WSM to do the service….and discovered that in 1996 when my tractor was created…it had a factory-fill of SUDT! I took the UDT back to him and insisted on SUDT(2). While down here in Tx we don’t have the extremes guys do up “nawth”…. I felt better about using what it left the factory with.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Isn’t that within certain ambient temperature regimes?

My local dealer tried to get me to use UDT in my M4700…arguing with the customer (me) about what I wanted to use for the 600 hr service. (He actually tried to sell me some off-brand universal stuff he had on sale cheap…but I insisted on genuine Kubota.…so he sold me 15 gals of UDT.

When I got home I was reading my Owners Manual and WSM to do the service….and discovered that in 1996 when my tractor was created…it had a factory-fill of SUDT! I took the UDT back to him and insisted on SUDT(2). While down here in Tx we don’t have the extremes guys do up “nawth”…. I felt better about using what it left the factory with.
Purely and simply SUDT differs from UDT and generic UTTO in two main ways:

1) It is a lower viscosity and has a much higher viscosity index which makes it quicker to flow and easier to pump in very cold weather. That makes it a better chouce if your tractor sees a lot of operation in cold ambients. It does not mean UDT is unacceptable in those conditions.

2) SUDT must be able to absorb 1% by volume water without forming emulsions or percipitates that clog filters. In their SAE development report Kubota described this property as essential for oils used in wet hunid Asian environments. Consequently Kubota has a specific qualificatuon test that involves mixing water with the oil and measuring the mass of residue that results. This property is clearly an advantage but hardly essential.

FWIW John Deere Hygard J20D is formulated with very similar properties

Dan

Last edited: