Kubota Quality

Clementine21

Equipment
B2401 with FEL, back blade, back rake, carry all
Dec 9, 2021
Troy, Idaho, USA
I would discuss it with the selling dealer first. Have you been checking the engine oil level frequently since you bought the machine? If not, it might have been overfilled with engine oil when you took delivery. I would pull the dipstick and see if there is a smell of diesel fuel to the engine oil. If it smells of diesel fuel, I wouldn't run the engine until it is repaired.
Have checked the oil after about every 5 hours of use. No diesel smell in the oil, but because the transmission dipstick shows no fluid (I've checked that about every 10 hours of use) I suspect it is a hydraulic pump or seal issue. Dealer agrees with me, but says "driver in on vacation, if you can get it to us..." Well I am not excited about driving 100 miles over snowy roads with a 2WD half ton pulling a trailer. I am going to push for them to pick it up even if it takes a few weeks extra time. I hope the needed parts aren't sitting on a ship in Japan.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
It’s possible to overfill a crankcase with improper use of the dipstick. Here’s how:
Adding oil to an empty sump…the tech installs what he estimates to be the correct amount (didn’t actually measure it.) He then pulls the dipstick to see it about 3 qts low….so he adds 3 qts and sends it out the door without further checking.

When the oil was first installed…the dipstick tube (with the dipstick installed…was thereby plugged…preventing oil from rising up the dipstick tube)….. Checking the dipstick shows the low-level of oil in the dipstick TUBE…not the actual level of oil in the sump.

If the dipstick had been WIPED CLEAN and re-inserted and examined again…it would have displayed the actual oil-level within the sump.

But….Adding additional oil… again, if the dipstick was installed and plugging the tube….would prevent the additonal (excessive) oil-level from being detected…. UNLESS the dipstick is pulled…WIPED CLEAN and re-inserted to obtain an accurate reading.

That may be what occurred in this thread.

Another possible error can occur with an engine that has been sitting a long time. Simply pulling the dipstick and reading it…. may be an error….Unless it is Wiped-Clean, and re-inserted and re-read… BECAUSE oil can creep up a dipstick in an engine left alone for several days….
One way is by capillary action. Another way is atmospheric/barometric pressure changes that can push oil up the tube…or pull it down the tube…. especially if the dipstick has a rubber seal/gasket where it sits at the upper end of the tube.

Last edited:

Clementine21

Equipment
Dec 9, 2021
Troy, Idaho, USA
It’s possible to overfill a crankcase with improper use of the dipstick. Here’s how:
Adding oil to an empty sump…the tech installs what he estimates to be the correct amount (didn’t actually measure it.) He then pulls the dipstick to see it about 3 qts low….so he adds 3 qts and sends it out the door without further checking.

When the oil was first installed…the dipstick tube (with the dipstick installed…was thereby plugged…preventing oil from rising up the dipstick tube)….. Checking the dipstick shows the low-level of oil in the dipstick TUBE…not the actual level of oil in the sump.

If the dipstick had been WIPED CLEAN and re-inserted and examined again…it would have displayed the actual oil-level within the sump.

But….Adding additional oil… again, if the dipstick was installed and plugging the tube….would prevent the additonal (excessive) oil-level from being detected…. UNLESS the dipstick is pulled…WIPED CLEAN and re-inserted to obtain an accurate reading.

That may be what occurred in this thread.

Another possible error can occur with an engine that has been sitting a long time. Simply pulling the dipstick and reading it…. may be an error….Unless it is Wiped-Clean, and re-inserted and re-read… BECAUSE oil can creep up a dipstick in an engine left alone for several days….
One way is by capillary action. Another way is atmospheric/barometric pressure changes that can push oil up the tube…or pull it down the tube…. especially if the dipstick has a rubber seal/gasket where it sits at the upper end of the tube. (Similar to pulling a soda-straw out of a drinking-glass if your finger is placed against the upper-end of the soda-straw.)
Thanks for your insight. Yes, all of those things can happen, but I've been wiping my stick for over 65 years. I checked the oil at delivery and it was where is should be. Each time I've checked it since (about every 5 hours of use), it has been where it should be until this last time. I'd say there are several quarts of hydraulic fluid in the crankcase, judging by the oil level on the stick. Not sure I want to start it to load on trailer!

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
It’s possible to overfill a crankcase with improper use of the dipstick.
I have four Onan engines in regular use, they all do the same trick you described. Since the OP is having significant issues with scheduling service, I would think he did some double checking.

Clementine21

Equipment
Dec 9, 2021
Troy, Idaho, USA
Good news! Crankcase on my B2401 is not overfull. Rubber seal on dipstick was slipping as I pressed it into place! Hydraulic system a bit low, probably due to some air in system at assembly time. Have put another 10 hours on it with no change in either level.

Reactions: 1 user

Mossy dell

Equipment
B2601 (2021) JD970 (1998) B2100 (1991) B6100E (1988)
Jul 20, 2020
sw VA
In the first year of owning my Kubota, I have had four setup issues, all related to the loader, of increasing severity. Here are the problems, in order:

• loose hydraulic hose to left rear loader raise/lower cylinder. Spewing fluid, noticed day after delivery.
• two less convenient loader zerks not greased, noticed when I did the first greasing.
• right side loader frame attachment bolts: one misplaced and one missing, noticed at 50 hours.
• right side front loader stand not attached to spec in front, causing it to come loose. Rest of bolts in right side stand assembly loose. Noticed when it came loose and was bent while plowing snow @ 70+ hours.

My local dealer, a branch of the main store that set up my tractor, has been responsive about addressing problems. But not perfect. When I got the tractor back on the missing loader attachment bolt issue, I checked immediately to see the new bolt. It was there—and had not been tightened! Nut was barely on the bolt.

The problems all apparently started with a "bad setup kid" who left or was fired. But who if anyone supervised him? Was he supported with mentoring, tools, etc. Why was he hired in the first place? It's an art to hire, especially young people, many of whom take a while to get a feeling of responsibility.

And the person who forgot to tighten that bolt at my local store, a bolt that helped connect the the tractor and loader, was a mid- or senior-level tech. Also, I drove the tractor off the trailer and it had been shut down with the throttle wide open.

Based on my experience, you need to assume your new tractor has issues from improper setup. Inspect it carefully. What that means is do a pretend 50-hour service or 100-hour service so you check everything.

Mine was setup in winter 2020 during the pandemic. Maybe they had lost people. Maybe the kid was under too much pressure to get several tractors together. Still, my opinion of the main dealership has taken a nosedive. The local techs I won't have touch my tractor unless there's something I absolutely cannot do.

Reactions: 1 users

TakerEasy

Equipment
2010 Kubota M7040 DTC-1
Aug 31, 2010
South Texas
July 2022, new M5-111 with Cab and loader. Tractor has been perfect but the loader was built in Jefferson and has several defects. The front brackets that hold the support legs on the bottom, and the bucket tilt linkages were welded on crooked. This means the pins are in a really bad bind. It took a 4' cheater pipe for us to be able to remove or install the pins because of linkage twist. The stands also point out at an angle when down and causes the loader to shift towards the hood when removing the loader.

Someone didn't get everything properly aligned in the jig before it got welded. Kubota will have to replace the main frame but none to be found and they are on months backorder. They "seem" willing to fix it, so hopefully they do. They talked about cutting the welds then weld back on straight, then spray bomb the welded area. Although that works, it seems it would directly impact any resell value if I had to sell it. I mentioned safety and resell value so they are going to replace the frame.

Everyone is having issues with QC after covid, and it seems the Jefferson plant has had its share of issues as well. Hopefully, they take care of all these loader and backhoe issues folks are having.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
given the circumstances of the world, it's surprising to me that they can build anything at all, much less build it with any sort of accuracy or quality.

Tuskar

Equipment
B2710 . Flail mower .finishing mower cement mixer . Transport Box Log splitter.
Jan 11, 2023
Weissfjord , Ireland
I've always heard that Kubota Tractors were of the highest quality and they hold their value which was one of the factors in my choosing a new B2301HST-1 to purchase. My new tractor was delivered by the dealer to my home two weeks ago with all it's attachments and was picked up the same day by the dealer at the jobsite for service having never even been used. The loader stand hardware fell off when we were unloading it at the jobsite due to missing welds on the stand brackets to the torsion tube. The dealer returned it the next day with a brand new loader installed so I have absolutely no problem with the Kubota service but I wonder now about the quality. Is the loader attachment made in Japan? The sticker on the old and new loader both say Jefferson Georgia USA but the tractor itself clearly says Made in Japan on it. I was very disappointed to say the least. View attachment 72245 View attachment 72246 View attachment 72247 View attachment 72248
That's a bit disconcerting . However would be nice to see faults on a graph compared to other tractors . Lots made in the 80s are still running sweet .

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
That's a bit disconcerting . However would be nice to see faults on a graph compared to other tractors . Lots made in the 80s are still running sweet .
My 2006 Kubota L48TLB is a fine piece of equipment!
(no anti-pollution stuff)

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I wasn't gonna say nothing but I'm bored and I figure it's time

Internet and social media does more damage to reputations than anything else. Now that someone's posted that they have tractor issues, the entire world can see it and with that the entire world now automatically thinks that Kubota's is all junk. It is up to us to point out what is to be expected and what is not.

Secondly none of us "expect" to have tractor issues with new equipment...well MOST of us don't. Some of us, we know that these things are designed by people, made by people, and then assembled by people. Unfortunately there ain't a single person on Earth that is perfect and "we" know that. Tractor owners have changed. Wasn't too terribly long ago if you bought a new tractor, you kinda expected little things, and you also knew how to fix them without throwing the dealer under the bus. That's changed. Now a lot of hobby farmers, who're sometimes city folks that have absolutely no clue about mechanical stuff, buy a little 8 acre plot, buy a 40hp tractor and call it a farm. Mini-farm, hobby farm, whatever. The new tractor might have a loose bolt. Now the said owner, who ain't got a clue what to do and automatically thinks that one loose bolt means that all of the rest of them are loose and their equipment's fixing to fall apart, gets the dealer on the horn and goes into orbit because they're reluctant to send a tech out to tighten the one loose bolt. No, that's not even acceptable--dealer is demanded to send a rollback out there, pick the tractor up, haul it all the way back to the dealer, then it gets set in que for however long until a tech can get to it. I mean, that one loose bolt is the only job that the shop has, right? Oh wait they're all "probably" loose so the tech's gonna have to go over every single bolt on the tractor. Then they gotta wait for the delivery boy to get freed up so he can haul it back to the "farm"; all the while the owner's on the phone griping about not being able to cut hay on his 5 acre mini-farm. "It's costing me money!!"

You buy a tractor you outta be able to do basic repairs. Tighten hardware that normally will loosen (loader frame bolts come to mind....), adjust tire pressures, check lug nuts and bolts, check the fluids, etc. I didn't say you outta be able to split the transmission and replace a charge pump. Although, being able to do that kinda stuff is a real asset.

Been through this stuff from both sides of the counter and over the last 30 years I saw the changes happen slowly. I started in 1992 working on JD stuff and the JD owners in those days could do basic repairs without too much issue. Some couldn't but for the most part they were cool and admittedly mechanical ignorant. I still to this day serve those same folks although not with tractors anymore. As time went on I saw basic common sense go away. I guess if there was any positive side, it's that it's good for business ;)

Reactions: 10 users

Like Tractors

Equipment
Several Kubotas
Jan 1, 2020
Eastern Iowa
I wasn't gonna say nothing but I'm bored and I figure it's time

Internet and social media does more damage to reputations than anything else. Now that someone's posted that they have tractor issues, the entire world can see it and with that the entire world now automatically thinks that Kubota's is all junk. It is up to us to point out what is to be expected and what is not.

Secondly none of us "expect" to have tractor issues with new equipment...well MOST of us don't. Some of us, we know that these things are designed by people, made by people, and then assembled by people. Unfortunately there ain't a single person on Earth that is perfect and "we" know that. Tractor owners have changed. Wasn't too terribly long ago if you bought a new tractor, you kinda expected little things, and you also knew how to fix them without throwing the dealer under the bus. That's changed. Now a lot of hobby farmers, who're sometimes city folks that have absolutely no clue about mechanical stuff, buy a little 8 acre plot, buy a 40hp tractor and call it a farm. Mini-farm, hobby farm, whatever. The new tractor might have a loose bolt. Now the said owner, who ain't got a clue what to do and automatically thinks that one loose bolt means that all of the rest of them are loose and their equipment's fixing to fall apart, gets the dealer on the horn and goes into orbit because they're reluctant to send a tech out to tighten the one loose bolt. No, that's not even acceptable--dealer is demanded to send a rollback out there, pick the tractor up, haul it all the way back to the dealer, then it gets set in que for however long until a tech can get to it. I mean, that one loose bolt is the only job that the shop has, right? Oh wait they're all "probably" loose so the tech's gonna have to go over every single bolt on the tractor. Then they gotta wait for the delivery boy to get freed up so he can haul it back to the "farm"; all the while the owner's on the phone griping about not being able to cut hay on his 5 acre mini-farm. "It's costing me money!!"

You buy a tractor you outta be able to do basic repairs. Tighten hardware that normally will loosen (loader frame bolts come to mind....), adjust tire pressures, check lug nuts and bolts, check the fluids, etc. I didn't say you outta be able to split the transmission and replace a charge pump. Although, being able to do that kinda stuff is a real asset.

Been through this stuff from both sides of the counter and over the last 30 years I saw the changes happen slowly. I started in 1992 working on JD stuff and the JD owners in those days could do basic repairs without too much issue. Some couldn't but for the most part they were cool and admittedly mechanical ignorant. I still to this day serve those same folks although not with tractors anymore. As time went on I saw basic common sense go away. I guess if there was any positive side, it's that it's good for business ;)

It seems like the "I can't do anything for myself and I am going to put every drama filled thing in my life on the internet" crowd is growing! Some people weren't slapped enough as children.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
It seems like the "I can't do anything for myself and I am going to put every drama filled thing in my life on the internet" crowd is growing! Some people weren't slapped enough as children.
"Some people weren't slapped enough as children"

And..... even though they APPEAR to be adults now,....they still ARE children!
BRING BACK THE DRAFT!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

Like Tractors

Equipment
Several Kubotas
Jan 1, 2020
Eastern Iowa
"Some people weren't slapped enough as children"

And..... even though they APPEAR to be adults now,....they still ARE children!
BRING BACK THE DRAFT!

I happen to find Kubota quality to be excellent! The manufacturing processes of today's world have given us some amazing products. As I grew up on the farm using machinery built in the late 50's thru early 70's I was happy to have machinery to use, but by today's standards for comfort and productivity what an improvement today's products are!

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
I happen to find Kubota quality to be excellent! The manufacturing processes of today's world have given us some amazing products. As I grew up on the farm using machinery built in the late 50's thru early 70's I was happy to have machinery to use, but by today's standards for comfort and productivity what an improvement today's products are!
We all have different experiences, so making blanket statements about quality is just one sample. My experience was finding that my new backhoe was junk and two different dealers couldn't get it right. I would have been happy if I hadn't lost a full year of use. YMMV

Like Tractors

Equipment
Several Kubotas
Jan 1, 2020
Eastern Iowa
We all have different experiences, so making blanket statements about quality is just one sample. My experience was finding that my new backhoe was junk and two different dealers couldn't get it right. I would have been happy if I hadn't lost a full year of use. YMMV
It looks like it is time for you to get a new dealer. Kubota quality is excellent, I didn't say perfect.

Reactions: 1 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Like I've said on this forum many times, four Kubota tractors over seven years, one Kubota generator, numerous Kubota/Land Pride implements, two Kubota dealerships and ZERO problems. Oh, I forgot, a small panel in the M6060 was scratched last summer when a technician was installing two extra rear remotes. But without my asking, the manager of the dealership ordered me a replacement panel which I have.

My Barn

Equipment
Kubota, Ford
Sep 14, 2022
Michigan
I wish the whole thing was made in Japan if this is the quality of work that comes from Georgia plant.
Japan is having problems getting labor too...Most of the Japanese stuff is built here! Honda, Nissan, Toyoda, etc, having had plants down south for years. Sorry not Honda ~ since 70's in Ohio.
Most of Kubota accessory equipment is made by vendors here. My Kubota backhoe was made by (it said Kubota) Woods. Better here vs. China where the quality is hit or miss. Kubota problem is quality control for which there is no excuse?

Last edited:

Trustable

Equipment
l2501HST
Jul 5, 2022
Michigan
I've always heard that Kubota Tractors were of the highest quality and they hold their value which was one of the factors in my choosing a new B2301HST-1 to purchase. My new tractor was delivered by the dealer to my home two weeks ago with all it's attachments and was picked up the same day by the dealer at the jobsite for service having never even been used. The loader stand hardware fell off when we were unloading it at the jobsite due to missing welds on the stand brackets to the torsion tube. The dealer returned it the next day with a brand new loader installed so I have absolutely no problem with the Kubota service but I wonder now about the quality. Is the loader attachment made in Japan? The sticker on the old and new loader both say Jefferson Georgia USA but the tractor itself clearly says Made in Japan on it. I was very disappointed to say the least. View attachment 72245 View attachment 72246 View attachment 72247 View attachment 72248
My l2501 (made in Japan) was flawless, but the bucket (made in the US), had horrible welds with air bubbles in it and looked like garbage, with my neighbor even mentioning he worried how long it would last, especially if water got in the divots (it looked like a golf ball but deeper divots). I actually ground down the welds and my neighbor re-welded them. I for sure will not be buying any land pride implements in the future.