Kubota L39 wont start, please help!!!

Roamr.roman

Equipment
Kubota L39
Sep 25, 2018
Mount Shasta, CA
Hi,
I'm currently in the process of trying to help my elderly neighbor start his Kubota L39 tractor. Unfortunately, I'm not that great with mechanics and tractors that is.
He said it randomly died when he was working on it and now wont turn back on. When I turn the key the monitor lights up with Error-60, Error-61, 1-7-8Ng, Error-65, and 1---6Ng.
When I try to turn the key, it simply makes a clicking noise and dies. After which the monitor wont turn back on for 5 minutes or so...please help? Where do I start?
I tested the battery and its reading fine.
Thank you!

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I have a different model, but the owners manual I have for the L3560 says the following:

Error 60 for a Glide shift transmission means " proportional valve in trouble", contact your dealer.

Error 61 1,7,8th speed NG. Solenoid 1 is in trouble at forward or neutral.

" If the shift solenoid gets in trouble, the gearshift lever remains at the same position but ghe real speed is automatically changed to an operable speed range or neutral. Such a self changed speed range will be displayed on the panel. Take note of what is displayed and then contact your dealer."

Error 65 says the same thing but Solenoid 5 Hi Lo is in trouble.

Do you have a wsm? I imagine it wouldnt start if it thinks it is in gear.

manvstaco

Equipment
B6000 with a B205 Front Dozer blade
Sep 24, 2018
Silverdale,Wa United States
I feel like it's a power issue still. The voltage might be there but the amps aren't and the system shuts off when it hits low voltage, battery sits and gets enough to do it again 5-10 minutes later. Did you use a battery tester or just a multimeter?

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Manvstaco's idea could be the root cause. The proportional reducing valve is dependent on the correct voltage, and the suggested solutions are check its connectors and check the ground cable. So the best place to start might be take battery out and load test, and clean grounds and other connectors.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Loose/damaged/corroded cables are the usual culprit. Double check both ends of the "ground" cable. Kubota calls it "earth cord". Best to check both ends of the "plus cord" too (positive cable). I see it all the time at work, tractor shows up won't start, dash goes out, big click and nothing else. Raise hood and find that the cables at one time were broken or cut, and then rather than spend the money on the correct "cords", the'll put those stupid "clamp" style ends on it. The ones that you cut and strip the original cable, stuff the bare wire into the end, tighten two 10mm or 7/16" bolts and "forget it". They fail commonly and VERY easily. Convenience is a big issue with folks nowadays so I don't repair them. I replace them with new cables, expensive they are, but they don't often fail. Rare actually unless the clamp was not tightened or an inferior battery is used, and it becomes corroded due to electrolyte leakage around the posts and/or maintenance caps (and vents).

Secondly, low voltage can damage the solenoids in the GST valve. That "could" be one reason for the codes, though I suspect repairing the low voltage issue could make those codes go away. But I have been wrong once. Or was it twice? I forget.

So check the earth cord and plus cord first, if OK, grab your digital volt meter and test the battery. OPEN circuit (no load placed on the battery) voltage should be 12.7v or more on a good battery. LOAD voltage (have someone turn the key to start while you hold the probes on the battery posts) should be 11v or more. It's not uncommon for open voltage to be "OK" (12v or more) and then when under a load, drop out to sometimes zero, more commonly 3-6v which ain't nearly enough to crank that engine over. If that's the case, replace the battery and call it a day.

Roamr.roman

Equipment
Kubota L39
Sep 25, 2018
Mount Shasta, CA
Thank you all for great ideas. I got it running finally, it turned out to be an electrical issue with the fuse box and harness. Regardless, it starts up great, but now it wont drive. It idles in neutral. But as soon as I put it in forward or reverse it shuts off. Any ideas of what it could be? Could it be a safety switch?
Thank you