Kubota L3301 won't turn over

submariner

Equipment
kubota l3301
Jan 13, 2021
Florhome fl
Started a l3301, went to engage the PTO, tractor stalled. Tried to restart, no response, Think it is the safety switch, need help finding location. Also tried disconnecting the control wire to the starter, would not pull out, is there a trick. I did try depressing the plastic tab. Where is the starter relay ?? Is there one?? Thks for any help given in advance

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Slow down, On a computer controlled tractor, doing things like trying to hotwire the starter is really a bad choice.

#1 get the WSM (aka service manual) and the Ops manual, your in luck as both are on Kubotabooks.com.

Follow the WSM on steps to check why it won't start (most likely) PTO switch engaged, but also could be seat switch, HST pedal switch along with other factors.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Pay attention to what NIW said, and look for seat switch issue in shop manual. If the tractor does not think you are in the seat, starting the PTO will cause it to shut down. If the pto is engaged and no one is in the seat, it won’t start. Before you do anything else, get back on the tractor, and engage and disengage pto lever a couple of times. Make sure it is clearly in the OFF position. Then see if it will start. Bounce up and down in the seat or at least sit as firmly as you can. If it will start and stay running, then try to go forward. If it dies then too, probably seat switch. The seat switches hate cold weather!

Actually there are 3 safety switches, that was why the recommendation to find shop manual.

And to repeat the above, don’t even think of messing with the starter and the fuel supply.

Reactions: 1 user

submariner

Equipment
kubota l3301
Jan 13, 2021
Florhome fl
Slow down, On a computer controlled tractor, doing things like trying to hotwire the starter is really a bad choice.

#1 get the WSM (aka service manual) and the Ops manual, your in luck as both are on Kubotabooks.com.

Follow the WSM on steps to check why it won't start (most likely) PTO switch engaged, but also could be seat switch, HST pedal switch along with other factors.
thanks for the in put ed

submariner

Equipment
kubota l3301
Jan 13, 2021
Florhome fl
Pay attention to what NIW said, and look for seat switch issue in shop manual. If the tractor does not think you are in the seat, starting the PTO will cause it to shut down. If the pto is engaged and no one is in the seat, it won’t start. Before you do anything else, get back on the tractor, and engage and disengage pto lever a couple of times. Make sure it is clearly in the OFF position. Then see if it will start. Bounce up and down in the seat or at least sit as firmly as you can. If it will start and stay running, then try to go forward. If it dies then too, probably seat switch. The seat switches hate cold weather!

Actually there are 3 safety switches, that was why the recommendation to find shop manual.

And to repeat the above, don’t even think of messing with the starter and the fuel supply.
Just left Pa Don't think it is cold here. Good advice Tried the suggestion. I think the nex t step is to test the switches /relays, that is why I asked for locations. Will get a shop manual, thanks fr the reply ed

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Just left Pa Don't think it is cold here. Good advice Tried the suggestion. I think the nex t step is to test the switches /relays, that is why I asked for locations. Will get a shop manual, thanks fr the reply ed
Hoping someone with a 3301 will log in and photograph seat switch, they are different on each model. You might have some luck searching old threads for L3301 or 3901 or 4701 seat switch issues to find photographs, or just follow the wire to the base or the back of the seat. The newer tractors have a sensor embedded in the seat itself, different in both my tractors. Other tractors have a lever that is depressed and is easy to check out.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
If it stalled when you went to turn on the PTO, did you have the clutch pushed down? Also I would lube the PTO lever up on the fender, lube the cable and lube the shaft that goes into the side of the transmission. Have someone move the PTO lever in and out as you spray the parts. It does not take very much to hang up the safety switch. Use PB Blaster or equivalent. WD40 is not ideal for this task.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
I had an issue a few months ago with my L3900 where the pto was not disengaging, follow the pto cable under the tractor, find the linkage under the tractor, make sure things are fully in the off position, lube the cable and shaft and coil spring under tractor. Sorry for non technical terms, will try to find my prior post.

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
I had a thread back in November with a similar problem about it not starting. Maybe something in there will help?

submariner

Equipment
kubota l3301
Jan 13, 2021
Florhome fl
thanks for everone input. I solved the problem altrhough not necessary the correct way. I checked the contacts for the PTO switch arm and found they were not making contact. Bent them a little now it works. Need to find out why when the switch is in the correct position, they don't make contact. don't see anya adustment ed

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Did you download the WSM, it should tell you how to adjust it.
It might be in the linkage adjustment.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
thanks for everone input. I solved the problem altrhough not necessary the correct way. I checked the contacts for the PTO switch arm and found they were not making contact. Bent them a little now it works. Need to find out why when the switch is in the correct position, they don't make contact. don't see anya adustment ed
Is the PTO lever return spring pressure holding the lever tight against the rear of the slot? If not, the switch arm will not depress the safety switch to close it. Lube the PTO control shaft at the from of the PTO cable with PB Blaster and cycle the PTO lever ON & Off several times.

The shaft gets rust and dirt under the torsion spring, then the shaft drags which the spring can not overcome. It will keep the lever from being tight in the rear of the slot and not compressing the switches.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I'm familiar with these things

first is the hourmeter showing any codes (P0606, etc)? If so, call the dealer. There isn't much you can do to them beyond basic stuff...everything else, requires kubota software and hardware.

No codes? Ok do this......

with the key OFF, hold down both of the buttons on the left side of the dash, both at the same time...for a few seconds. Then turn the key on. Look at your hourmeter it should say "A". Let off of those two buttons now. Now, push and hold the RIGHT button, and you'll hear a beep and the hourmeter lcd should show something like 1:(with a number following 1:). Pay no attention to that, when you see 1: let off the right button and don't touch it no more. At this point you can AUDIBLY test every single safety switch's operation. They are all on-off switches. HST pedal switch. Move the pedal forward from neutral and you should hear a beep. Let it return to neutral and once it hits neutral you will hear a beep again. Repeat for reverse, then let it return to neutral, should beep. That lets you know the hst neutral switch is working properly. NO beep? Switch wire is off or switch is bad (two likeliest issues). Repeat for pto switch. engine off for all of the tests. Turn the pto "on" you outta hear a beep. Turn it off and it outta beep again. NO beeps, your pto switch is not sensing an on or off condition check wiring and check the switch to make sure one of them didn't fall off. Repeat again for hi-low range or forward-reverse shifter. Outta beep when it comes out of neutral. Repeat again for seat switch, outta beep when ou get out of the seat. Only other switch would be for parking brake and it is not on the start circuit. Neither is the seat switch. It should at least crank over regardless of whether you're on the seat or not. Once your done playing with the beeper and you have isolated your issue, turn the key off and fix your issue. When you restart, the hourmeter will return to normal.

submariner

Equipment
kubota l3301
Jan 13, 2021
Florhome fl
I'm familiar with these things

first is the hourmeter showing any codes (P0606, etc)? If so, call the dealer. There isn't much you can do to them beyond basic stuff...everything else, requires kubota software and hardware.

No codes? Ok do this......

with the key OFF, hold down both of the buttons on the left side of the dash, both at the same time...for a few seconds. Then turn the key on. Look at your hourmeter it should say "A". Let off of those two buttons now. Now, push and hold the RIGHT button, and you'll hear a beep and the hourmeter lcd should show something like 1:(with a number following 1:). Pay no attention to that, when you see 1: let off the right button and don't touch it no more. At this point you can AUDIBLY test every single safety switch's operation. They are all on-off switches. HST pedal switch. Move the pedal forward from neutral and you should hear a beep. Let it return to neutral and once it hits neutral you will hear a beep again. Repeat for reverse, then let it return to neutral, should beep. That lets you know the hst neutral switch is working properly. NO beep? Switch wire is off or switch is bad (two likeliest issues). Repeat for pto switch. engine off for all of the tests. Turn the pto "on" you outta hear a beep. Turn it off and it outta beep again. NO beeps, your pto switch is not sensing an on or off condition check wiring and check the switch to make sure one of them didn't fall off. Repeat again for hi-low range or forward-reverse shifter. Outta beep when it comes out of neutral. Repeat again for seat switch, outta beep when ou get out of the seat. Only other switch would be for parking brake and it is not on the start circuit. Neither is the seat switch. It should at least crank over regardless of whether you're on the seat or not. Once your done playing with the beeper and you have isolated your issue, turn the key off and fix your issue. When you restart, the hourmeter will return to normal.
neet thanks will print and save ed

Tomh

Equipment
Kubota L3301HST
Jun 19, 2021
TN
We have a L3301 that will not turn over and has no starter click.

All 3 safety switches (seat, pto, hst) have been tested and are good.

We are looking for the physical location of the starter relay. Anyone know where it is please?

We have the dash lifted, but cannot see it.

Thanks...

Last edited:

submariner

Equipment
kubota l3301
Jan 13, 2021
Florhome fl
had same issue 2 days ago tried wiggling the petal several time and it started petal have some sort or interlock/switch that if not centered will stop the enginee from starting

Tomh

Equipment
Kubota L3301HST
Jun 19, 2021
TN
So after reading lugbolt's post on Jan 14, 2021 on the electronic method of testing the 3 safety switches, we found the pto switch was bad.

Not sure how we missed that, although the difference between testing manually with a voltmeter and testing electronically with a built in program made all the difference.

Big THANKS to lugbolt for that great procedure! Tractor is running!

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
So after reading lugbolt's post on Jan 14, 2021 on the electronic method of testing the 3 safety switches, we found the pto switch was bad.

Not sure how we missed that, although the difference between testing manually with a voltmeter and testing electronically with a built in program made all the difference.

Big THANKS to lugbolt for that great procedure! Tractor is running!
the audible test is the only way to go, in my opinion. Thanks for posting a solution on the forum.