Kubota L175

1stcarver

Equipment
L175
Oct 15, 2012
Waskom, TX USA
Hello everyone! I'm a new member so I thought I would introduce myself. I'm an old retired fart, and I live near Waskom, TX. I own 7 acres, and am busting my old butt trying to keep it up! I purchased an old L175 tractor a few years ago, and I try to keep it serviced as best that I can. Don't know much about tractors, this is my first one, and I need some advice. The dealer is charging me $30 for an oil filter, and I think that is just to high! Are there any aftermarket filters that will work? Thinking about the NAPA store, or maybe O'Riley's, something like that. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks!

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
NAPA is a good choice, they go have a wide selection of tractor fluids and filters and such to keep farm tractors running. If you happen to have the part number for your filter NAPA should be able to cross it over.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Just don't buy a cheap filter, like Fram or something similar. Saving money is good, and a NAPA or other quality parts store should have a filter for less than the dealer. I buy Hastings from my local Federated store, and pay less than $10 for it. I am getting a quality filter (not compromising) while saving money.
My Federated store had no problem finding the right filter for my B7100, and I didn't even have a number off of the old one (no number on the old filter). I bet NAPA can do the same.

aquaforce

Equipment
L245DT FEL, JD450 Track loader, 5' scrape blade&mower, 5x10 trailer, Dump truck
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
Hello everyone! I'm a new member so I thought I would introduce myself. I'm an old retired fart, and I live near Waskom, TX. I own 7 acres, and am busting my old butt trying to keep it up! I purchased an old L175 tractor a few years ago, and I try to keep it serviced as best that I can. Don't know much about tractors, this is my first one, and I need some advice. The dealer is charging me $30 for an oil filter, and I think that is just to high! Are there any aftermarket filters that will work? Thinking about the NAPA store, or maybe O'Riley's, something like that. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks!

Welcome to OTT and congrats on the Orange tractor. :)

Prices like that mean the dealer is charging full list price. I didn't like that kind of business relationship from the dealer near me so I searched for reasonable options that were viable for the Orange tractor to function as designed. I had to build my engine due to a cracked head and when the dealer couldn't even get me that part I got pretty independent about finding my Kubota parts needs.

On the oil filter NAPA has a 1374, which is what I have on mine now, and WIX has a 51374 that will also work. Both of these are quality parts that will not break the bank for simple service. Be sure to use oil with the right spec for that old engine design. The designations like CF etc are specific to the mix and must be matched for best longevity. The new oil on the store shelf has been changed drastically in 2006 by govt legislation and doesn't have the ZDDP that old iron was designed to use.

Coolant is critical for this L175. Don't let the level get low in the radiator. The liquid level needs to stay high in the upper tank for good circulation since there is no water pump.

1stcarver

Equipment
L175
Oct 15, 2012
Waskom, TX USA
Welcome to OTT and congrats on the Orange tractor. :)

Prices like that mean the dealer is charging full list price. I didn't like that kind of business relationship from the dealer near me so I searched for reasonable options that were viable for the Orange tractor to function as designed. I had to build my engine due to a cracked head and when the dealer couldn't even get me that part I got pretty independent about finding my Kubota parts needs.

On the oil filter NAPA has a 1374, which is what I have on mine now, and WIX has a 51374 that will also work. Both of these are quality parts that will not break the bank for simple service. Be sure to use oil with the right spec for that old engine design. The designations like CF etc are specific to the mix and must be matched for best longevity. The new oil on the store shelf has been changed drastically in 2006 by govt legislation and doesn't have the ZDDP that old iron was designed to use.

Coolant is critical for this L175. Don't let the level get low in the radiator. The liquid level needs to stay high in the upper tank for good circulation since there is no water pump.
I bought mine with a cracked head, didn't get a good deal as I had the Kubota shop rebuild with new head. That's expensive. There are no part numbers on the filters from the dealer, just an item number that is only good at the dealership. In doing some cross references I came up with a Fram filter, and Wix filter. I'm a little worried that either of these brand filters might inhibit oil flow. How long have you been using the NAPA filter?

birddogger

May 29, 2011
Pittsburgh
I'm a little worried that either of these brand filters might inhibit oil flow.
There are really just 3 parameters that matter a lot in an oil filter. First is the mounting thread and gasket size, that isn't a critical issue if the filter mounts and seals; all's well.
The next item is the absolute filtration porosity, mostly they are around 50 microns. Some can be smaller like 30 microns but that isn't necessarily better because that affects the third item, bypass pressure limit. When the filter starts to "plug up" or during high volume/rpm the filter will bypass internally and stop filtering to maintain a flow to lubricated parts.

So if in doubt and not having factory specifications to compare; since after-market filters are 1/4 the cost, change them twice as often. If you run the oil 100 hours, change the filter at every 50 hours and add that pint of oil. Still saves money and you know you have a good filter in place.

aquaforce

Equipment
L245DT FEL, JD450 Track loader, 5' scrape blade&mower, 5x10 trailer, Dump truck
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
I bought mine with a cracked head, didn't get a good deal as I had the Kubota shop rebuild with new head. That's expensive. There are no part numbers on the filters from the dealer, just an item number that is only good at the dealership. In doing some cross references I came up with a Fram filter, and Wix filter. I'm a little worried that either of these brand filters might inhibit oil flow. How long have you been using the NAPA filter?
Have owned this tractor for about 5 years and used the NAPA filerts the whole time. I also used them on my B6000 before this one
Napa has good parts as they strive to meet mfgr specs pretty strongly. Others like Baldwin and Frame are what are refered as dual pass filters. That means the oil has to flow through twice to meet specs. Most OE filters are single pass so I stay with that..

This L175 has some pretty high flow at full rpm. I think my manual states 11gpm. That is moving some oil now. There are a lot of hydraulic machines that only flow half of this Kubota.:eek:

Orange Tractors

Equipment
L175 w/Woods L59, Allis Chalmers WD
Jul 19, 2009
Butler, MO
Welcome aboard.

One of the most important things to do with a thermo-syphon cooling system is to keep it clean. Yours shouldn't be too bad if the dealer cleaned the cooling system when they put the new head on; but it is better to be safe than sorry.

I have been running a Wix 51034 on my L175, it is the other number that O'Rielly's has in their book. I change my oil once a year, and haven't had any oil related problems.

These are good little tractors, just don't try to do too much with them.

Robert

duckstab

Equipment
L-185
Sep 14, 2012
WI

kc8fbl

Equipment
2014 L3200 HST FEL, 1949 Minneapolis-Moline R
Aug 23, 2012
Gobles, MI
Thanks for that link. Very helpful. Now it can add more choices. :)