Kubota Grand L 5740HSTC3 Stack Conversion

Wildfire

Equipment
Kubota L5740 HSTC3 and a Kubota ZG222Z, 2013 BX25D,Custom Toyota fork lift.
Cause:

Well I had the soot issue with the Grand L 4240 and now the Grand L 5740. The problem is or should I say was the design of the exhaust pipe on these tractors. The problem wouldn’t exist If we didn’t have an FEL on the machine but some of us do and like mine I was getting soot all over the left side of the FEL which I mortally hatted. all i did on the 4240 was add to the pipe and have it pointed down but this time I wanted to do something a little different. I wanted a STACK.

Correction:

To add a stack to these machines may look easy BUT there are many things you need to consider.

- Placement of the stack
- How high should it be?
- Will the hood be able to open after the retrofit of the stack?
- Will the lower panel be able to be removed for servicing the machine after the retrofit?
- Will it impede visibility?
- How can It be done with minimal modifications to the tractor itself?
- How can it be done so it will not interfere with the turning of the wheel and not hit the front fender?
- How can the adapter be attached so that IF the FEL needs to be removed it can as it was originally?
- How do I add the stack and what happens IF water gets into the stack? How do I prevent this from happening?

Cure:

Well It took two days designing and fabricating along the way while I was suffering with a head cold. I used all 1/4 plate, a few modified exhaust flanges and a flexible joint. I also use a cool exhaust tube connector that I liked. A 3” stack was purchased. I thought it had touch of a curve so I did a little tweaking on it.

The design is self explanatory in my opinion. It’s simple yet effective and it sounds so sweet! I did run into a problem bending the pipe. I couldn’t get the sharp bends as close as I needed them under the hood using the 2”ID pipe so i went and put stainless flex pipe in it’s place. I think it’s worked out better anyways because it allows some small amount of movement in the system.

To get around the water in the pipe issue I drilled and tapped a pace for a drain hole and you can see it in photo’s EX8 &EX9. When the water gets in it will just run out in the hose I’ve added to the adapter box. I determined the height of the stack based on the cab light. If i went any higher than I did I would have blocked the light.

Installing it in the location I did allowed the FEL to go fully up and not block the stack and it’s not in any way attached to the cab. I used the existing rear FEL support bar bolts holes to accept the adapter. I did have to cut about 11” of the original exhaust pipe but I’ll use another one of those cool tube connectors if i need to re-install it at some point. The visibility in the cab is great and the hood can be opened like it could before and the lower service panel on the left side can be easily removed as in the past.

Here’s how it was done and looks completed.

Larger photo’s can e seen here:http://www.flickr.com/photos/15602393@N05/sets/72157627144601955/

No CNC used here. All hand done free hand and a Miller 875 plasma cutter.

This is the “roughed in” adapter.

pat331

Equipment
L35, mower, bushhog, cement mixer, grader, boxblade, forks, posthole digger
Mar 31, 2009
Ft. Worth, TX
Paul, that is fantastic! You've done to your Kubota something I've wanted to do for quite a while. Mine points down and outward on the left side. But if you are driving into the wind, the exhaust come back in your face. I'd love to have an upward stack like you've done. I'll study your pictures and maybe "get-er-done". Thanks!

Wildfire

Equipment
Paul, that is fantastic! You've done to your Kubota something I've wanted to do for quite a while. Mine points down and outward on the left side. But if you are driving into the wind, the exhaust come back in your face. I'd love to have an upward stack like you've done. I'll study your pictures and maybe "get-er-done". Thanks!
Great to hear it could help you. I think that turned down exhaust is terrible. Kubota should come out with a kit like I've built that way everyone who needs it can buy it. It's basically all bolt on the way I designed it. Who knows, maybe they are watching. The owner of the Kubota dealership in the city told me that everyone at Kubota Canada knows my name so guys if your seeing this let's talk ;)

Man it sure sounds nice now as well. I'll have to soon do a video. Thanks. Paul

Kytim

Equipment
B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
Inquiring minds demand video with sound! at least a sound bite.

Wildfire

Equipment
I'm already on the edge of my seat! :D :D

Ya I'm sure you are :eek: :p :D

Well this evening I did a little tweaking with the stack mod. Everything looked and sounds great but I was a little concerned about the hoses and wiring close to the plumbing so I did a little re-route and made a simple aluminum heat shield to add to it. It really don't get hot under the hood due to the high volume of air rushing through via the rad fan but this was done just to ease my mind. I added a photo just in case someone else out there was going to do this mod and it might help you out seeing it.

Also got the air horn installed that I had just installed on the 4240 before I traded it so I'm slowly getting things back to normal what ever normal may be.
:eek::laughing:

The original horn installation can be seen here: ‪Kubota Air Horn install.wmv‬‏ - YouTube

Kytim

Equipment
B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
Paul, Looking at the pic with the latest exhaust mod I realized something was mis-configured at the factory. I really surprised you didnt catch it yourself.;)

The turbo is way to SMALL! So I think the next conversion should be to correct the factory oversight and add a larger intercooler, a larger second stage turbo, and then....:D:D:D

SuperCharged

Equipment
1977 B6100D w/ K-48 mower, Woods Mower, Snowcaster
Jun 2, 2011
United States
Wildfire, where'd you get the airhorn?

The horn on my B6100 isn't working, and I might leave it that way. I spend half my time on the tractor with my 4 yr or 7 yr old. Less horn is better in those situations. :)

Wildfire

Equipment
Paul, Looking at the pic with the latest exhaust mod I realized something was mis-configured at the factory. I really surprised you didnt catch it yourself.;)

The turbo is way to SMALL! So I think the next conversion should be to correct the factory oversight and add a larger intercooler, a larger second stage turbo, and then....:D:D:D
:D Ya it's a tiny little fellow for sure. There was hardly enough room under the hood for the new horn so the only place to mount the stuff you mentioned is on top of the hood :eek:

Wildfire, where'd you get the airhorn?

The horn on my B6100 isn't working, and I might leave it that way. I spend half my time on the tractor with my 4 yr or 7 yr old. Less horn is better in those situations. :)
I got the one on Ebay. Nice unit. Oh get one, your kids would love it. Just get yourself some ear plugs :D

Wildfire

Equipment
For those of you that was reading the start of my thread you'll notice that I mentioned I couldn't get the right sharp bends on my bender. Well this week I called the manufacturer and they knew the problem right away. The pressure adjustment had backed off on one of the main cylinders and it took about 10 seconds to correct it.

Seeing I had the bender working like it should have to begin with it was time to head back to the drawing board and ditch the flexible tubing and "do it right" this time. Here's the changes I've done to the connecting pipe. As you can see I used two cool quick connectors and dumped the muffler clamp. I also made a support bracket for the pipe and I feel it looks far more "Factory" like than before. Now I'm calling this custom retrofit completed. Hope it helps some of you out.

SuperCharged

Equipment
1977 B6100D w/ K-48 mower, Woods Mower, Snowcaster
Jun 2, 2011
United States
Unreal. I am beside myself. Thanks for the pictures. I am truly in awe of what you've done to that tractor (and the Mustang too!)

Wildfire

Equipment
Unreal. I am beside myself. Thanks for the pictures. I am truly in awe of what you've done to that tractor (and the Mustang too!)

Thank you my friend. It's nice to hear someone is paying attention to this stuff:D I'm soon coming to the end of the tractor posts until the winter arrives. I installed the snow blower last evening and have just two more items to deal with before I consider it completed. Thanks for posting.

Always enjoyable to look at your latest creations. Great work.

Had you ever thought of this stuff for heat protection.

http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS-Performance-Products/JEGS-Premium-Exhaust-Header-Wrap/1202563/10002/-1

Thank you twice! I've used wrap on motorcycle exhaust that I've made but I've never seen this stuff before or the site. I really appreciate you telling me about this.Tomorrow I'm placing an order. Plenty of times in the past I could have used that type of product. Thanks for the post. very helpful to me. :)

Last winter I had to put the blower in some tough spots and although the rear lights are great if you turn the blower and your in complete darkness you can't see where the snow is going so I adapted a couple of L.E.D. lights to the chute. As the chute turns so will the lights. There are water proof, shock proof and draw around 1 amp so they fit the bill for this application. You'll also see the amber switch on the dash that operates them. The switches are L.E.D. as well. The red switch is the reverse beeper by-pass switch. These lights are very,very bright. Seeing most everyone likes photo's here's a few more. :D