Kubota Convert with a few questions

srbnet

Equipment
1982 Kubota B7100 HST, 60" MMM
Mar 17, 2010
Troy, Missouri
Hi folks,
I'm new to the site and Kubota. Had a John Deere 2210 but sold it a few years back. Been without a tractor until just last week when I picked up a 1982 Kubota B7100 HST with a 60" mmm off of eBay for 2,500.00. Has 1400 hrs on however the guy told me the pistons, sleeves,bearings, etc. had been redone about 200 hrs ago. I have a few questions and was hoping you could point me in the right directions.

The thing is hard to start unless I pre-heat the Glow Plugs for about 3minutes. I can see the indicator on the dash so I believe they are heating up. I've replaced, the Fuel and Air Filter. Both were moderately dirty. I added Power Service Injector cleaner to new fuel as well. If the tractor sits for an hour or two, it acts like it needs the GPs to be preheated again. Seems like once you've done it and the motor has been run to operating temp, it shouldn't need another pre-heat in 50ish degree weather. Am I wrong?

Oil - I changed the oil &filter and put in the Kubota 10W30 as per the dealer. I have no idea what the previous owner used so that's why I went with that. He could tell me all the motor work performed but couldn't tell me the type of oil he used. Seemed a bit odd but seeing new freeze plugs in the block told me it probably was rebuilt. Anyway, when adding the oil I took it just over the full mark. I mean just over to the bend point in the dipstick. I guess maybe a half or quarter of a quart? Should I drain just enough back out to keep on the mark or is it a big deal to be right at that upper mark or below? Knowing little about the engine I'm not sure.

Headlamps - I have the lenses and housing in the hood but no bulbs or wiring. Does anyone know where I can get these from? Not that I'll be using it much in the dark but you never know and I'd like everything to work as much as I can. Thought about mounting some generic lights on the rear fenders facing forward but I don't want to make the mistake of overloading the electrical system or altenator.

Implements - I'm looking at buying a rear blade to grade my road etc. What is the better implements on the market? Land Pride or King Kutter? Any place a person could find used stuff?

FEL - Is it even worth trying to find a used loader to put on this tractor? I would use one if I had it but then again, don't want to put more money into the tractor than its worth.
I'm pleased with my 'post-divorce' Kubota overall. It seems to be built much better than my 04 JD.

Thank you for this wonderful site and for your assistance. Please excuse all the questions. I appreciate all the assistance and acceptance as a convert from the other side of the row.

ptwyz

Equipment
BX2660, FEL, tiller, disc cultivator, tine cultivator, rear blade, MMM, & more!!
Jan 7, 2010
McCutchenville, Ohio, USA
srbnet, first of all welcome to the site, glad you found it. I personnaly cannot answer your questions (I'm a newbie), but you are definately in the rite place. Questions about orange iron, (thank you whoever started that, it's so cool!), is what this forum is all about. I have faith you will get your questions answerred!!!

handyman

Equipment
Kubota B7100HST-E
Sep 18, 2009
Dayton,Tn.
I have a b7100hste also 1983 model those were hard on glowplugs from what I have been told. I put mine to appx. 1/4 throttle turn ignition to left and heat them until I hear 4 clicks if its real cold 6 or 8 clicks which would be about 1.5 min. Yes if I shut it down for a hour or 2 go back I have to do the same warmup all over again. Far as the lights maybe vic or dusty hopefully will jump in but for my self someone posted a electrical diag. for a 7100 If I rememberDo a search for the diagram in the search block. Im not telling you to do this. But for me if I had the lens and hardware I would hunt the diagram and wire it myself. You can buy the right size and color at about any auto parts store and it would not be that difficult to do. Dusty or vic would be able to advise more on the fel than I can. For mine (2 wheel drive with lock differential) I have a 4 ft yard box with5 rippers and 2 pond scoops one pond scoop you load from driving foward only the newer one I bought week ago will load going foward or in reverse. Its reversable I really like it because it works off 3 point hitch instead of fel with no power steering a fel would be harder to manuver. If I can help anymore let me know but am sure vic dusty or trailduster will jump in. Hope I have helped more than confused you. handy

handyman

Equipment
Kubota B7100HST-E
Sep 18, 2009
Dayton,Tn.
I forgot I go to tractor places farm supply places and buy used stuff myself. Sometimes I may have to do a little fab job but thats a hobby of mine anyway. Also do not buy a piece of equipment to large for the tractor. these are little giants and they will do anything a larger one will except with smaller bites. I LIKE MY BEAST. handy

Les

Equipment
B7100D, FEL, Box scraper
Dec 2, 2009
Reno NV
I have an 82 B7100 and pretty much same story with preheating. I used the schematic Vic posted to do my light wiring. the bulb part # is 66591-5563-0
Think I picked them up at the dealer. If you search "positive ground" that's where the diagram is posted, couldn't figger out how to get it here.

handyman

Equipment
Kubota B7100HST-E
Sep 18, 2009
Dayton,Tn.
Thanks for jumping in les I couldnt remember where posted either.I beleive most 7100 have the same warmup issue. handy

srbnet

Equipment
Mar 17, 2010
Troy, Missouri
Thanks guys for the great information. On the oil being overfilled, by about 1/4 to 1/2 a quart when I changed it, should I drain that off at the risk of blowing a ring or is it not enough to even worry with? I know its a dumb question but didn't know how sensitive this diesel is about that.

handyman

Equipment
Kubota B7100HST-E
Sep 18, 2009
Dayton,Tn.
This is just my opinion. I try to stay close to full as possible. I would drain it off but thats me . Transmission fluid in a car will foam dont think oil is that bad. I myself would drain just a little out have your finger or bolt ready you can always add a little.handy

traildust

Equipment
B7610HST 4WD, LA352 FEL, Gearmore 2 Spool Top & Tilt Box Scraper
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
This is just my opinion. I try to stay close to full as possible. I would drain it off but thats me . Transmission fluid in a car will foam dont think oil is that bad. I myself would drain just a little out have your finger or bolt ready you can always add a little.handy

I believe handy is correct. Especcialy if you have some seals that are on edge. With that extra oil and as heat and pressures increase something's gonna give.

It's actually better to be just slightly under the max than going over it.

Scott

pat331

Equipment
L35, mower, bushhog, cement mixer, grader, boxblade, forks, posthole digger
Mar 31, 2009
Ft. Worth, TX
srbnet,

I don't believe anyone gave you an answer on your FEL question. The first FEL I saw was on a 30 hp White my Dad bought 20 years ago. I told him he wasted his money. Six months later (after using the machine) I told Dad I was wrong, that the FEL priceless. He since traded the White in on a 50 hp Kubota with a matching FEL. Later, I bought a used Kubota 4150 and hunted all over for a used FEL. I gave up, sold it and bought an L35. We use the FEL for everything. For instance, tonight we used it to haul a bucket of mulch for my wife to spread around her flowers. If you do get one, it will add several thousand dollars to the value of your machine. Good Luck!

srbnet

Equipment
Mar 17, 2010
Troy, Missouri
Oh Pat, Now you have me wanting to add one to my B7100. Maybe I can find one somewhere at less than the 2500 I paid for the tractor. Thanks so much!

handyman

Equipment
Kubota B7100HST-E
Sep 18, 2009
Dayton,Tn.
srbnet you and vic have me wanting a loader for mine now. I was hoping vic would jump in been a day or two since he has posted enjoy reading his as well as everyone elses.Those new glow plugs will probably fix your problem.Good luck handy

srbnet

Equipment
Mar 17, 2010
Troy, Missouri
You guys are awesome. Such great information and fast. I'm very grateful. Would you believe that I actually gave the beast a bath today in the rain and 38 degrees? I can't wait for better weather to use her. I will get on the list of items right away. Thanks again for all the information. You all rock!

Change the glow plugs, install new ones. They burn out, and it's possible that one is dead and only two are working now. Change em all! The oil over full a little "critical", but I agree with traildust and handy, better to be right on than over/under.

Wiring and lamp sockets are deraler only items, and they are available. Take the headlamps out and throw them in the dishwasher, clans them up real nice.

That tractor will handle a loader like a champ! You're looking for a Kubota B1630 or 1640A, and it will be real hard to find "detached" from the tractor it was installed on!

Landpride is on bed with Kubota now and the price of their gear has risen accordingly! King Kutter implements are of substantial quality and very well priced; if you can choke down the baby blue paint!

traildust

Equipment
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
...Would you believe that I actually gave the beast a bath today in the rain and 38 degrees? I can't wait for better weather to use her.
You are a hardcore tractor owner!

You're gonna wait for better weather to drive the tractor but you WASHED it in the rain at 38 dgrees :eek:

Scott

ptwyz

Equipment
BX2660, FEL, tiller, disc cultivator, tine cultivator, rear blade, MMM, & more!!
Jan 7, 2010
McCutchenville, Ohio, USA
Yep. Couldnt stand it being dirty any longer. It's an illness. I know.
I think there is an eleven step program for that, but after talking with traildust, we figured it was better to stay as far away from the program as possible;):p:D

traildust

Equipment
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
Yep. Couldnt stand it being dirty any longer. It's an illness. I know.
Well, just be careful. If anybody, besides a true tractor lover, sees you washing your tractor in the rain at 38 degrees they might think you to be KOO - KOO.

Juuuust wondering, but did you by chance wash that tractor at 2am :rolleyes:

Scott

srbnet

Equipment
Mar 17, 2010
Troy, Missouri
Nope. Sunday afternoon.:) Spent this evening pulling the glow plugs, haeadlight assemblies, and muffler. Speaking of which, I was wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of a muffler and possibly heat shield. The muffler is shot for sure and the heat shield could be as well if I can get those rusted screw off.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I had a B 7100 for my first tractor when I was a kid. It was in bad shape when my dad bought it for me and looked terrible. It had 1300 hrs. on the meter which no longer worked. We replaced it and fixed a few other issues it had and I kept it for 16 more yrs. I put 4200 hrs on it during that time and all I had to do to it aside from general maintenence was replace the fuel cap and the radiator cap. Mine was always hard to crank the whole time I owned it. I found it cranked much easier using Amsoil Synthetic motor oil. The engine ran smoother and it even made it quieter. After seeing the difference the Amsoil made in that I became a dealer just for the most part so I could keep the oil for my own personal. I run it in everything that I own now from my remote control cars all the way up to my Kubota M 9000. A loader would pay for itself over time. After all the yrs. of use on my B 7100 it really helped me on trade in value. My dad gave $3500 for the tractor with a loader and backhoe on it. It even had a trailer to hual it on. When I traded it in on my new Kubota I kept the trailer and bachoe and still got $2200 out of it. In my opinion a loader would be a good investment.