Kubota bounces down the road

Appling-Farmer

Feb 3, 2022
Appling, GA
The M9000 tractor bounces or rocks back and forth going down the road. Is there a way to check the right rear bearing if there is a bearing. It feels like a knot on the right rear tire but I had new tire installed and it still does it.

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
Sounds like an egg shaped tire or flat spot from sitting. A bad bearing would make a rumbling sound, not cause your tractor to rock-n-roll.

Reactions: 2 users

Vlach7

Equipment
L47 305DT JD500C
Dec 16, 2021
Frazier Park Ca
All my tractors have done this to a degree, unless this is something new its prob normal.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Is the new right rear same brand/size/etc. as the left rear ? How tall are both treads ? SAME air pressure, One loaded, other not ?

I ask because I had a boat trailer, same sized tires (5.70-8 ?), different make and they were NOT the same height OR profile, even with same air pressure !!

Gb540

Jan 9, 2021
Central US
Is there fluid in the rear tires?

Have seen it where the fluid will start going around with the tire at road speed (versus the "air pocket" staying on top), and cause all sort of stuff like a side/side wobble or what feels like an egg-shaped tire.

Also have heard (never seen firsthand) stories of folks losing control if the hop gets bad enough. So whether this is true, throttling down when the wobble starts is probably good advice.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
How severely it rocks is subjective.

I’ve been on tractors for almost 60 years, and they don’t ride like a modern car or truck.

Not belittling the question at all. There’s things that could be major safety issues. Some tractors are so fast in road gear, it’s worrisome.

Check the tires to make sure they run true left/right on the road (eg, don’t wobble). Indicates bent or incorrectly mounted wheel. Check left/right tires to make sure they’re matching. Measure height of each to center of axle.

Even my little BX wiggles at 8 mph.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Is there fluid in the rear tires?

Have seen it where the fluid will start going around with the tire at road speed (versus the "air pocket" staying on top), and cause all sort of stuff like a side/side wobble or what feels like an egg-shaped tire.

Also have heard (never seen firsthand) stories of folks losing control if the hop gets bad enough. So whether this is true, throttling down when the wobble starts is probably good advice.

I have noticed this first hand - an old 53 Ford with CaCl in the rears - in 4th gear on a straight road doing about 25 mph.... hopping like a rabbit. At one point I had to slow down or something bad was going to happen!

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
What is the tires that are on it? Bias or radials? What type of rims/wheels are on it?

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Might be nothing at all. I often see the BIG wheel loaders rocking/ bouncing down the road. Even my little 2501 has some oscillation to it when hustling on pavement. I just attribute it to the tires and the fact they are filled. If you go fast enough the fluid will balance the tire. Until then, nothing is balanced.

dvcochran

Equipment
Kubota M9000, New Holland TN90, Deere 2640, Vermeer 504N, Vermeer 504SI, more
Feb 23, 2011
Dickson, TN
The M9000 tractor bounces or rocks back and forth going down the road. Is there a way to check the right rear bearing if there is a bearing. It feels like a knot on the right rear tire but I had new tire installed and it still does it.
Mine does it on a paved road at high speed. My tire is somewhat out of round or has a twist in the tread. It is worse on a cold tire, but I seldom run it on the road other than when making hay. It is not a huge issue for me so will run it as long as I can.
The things you need to check:
1.) If you are running the tires very low on pressure, this can cause loping.
2.) If the tire is fluid filled, make certain the tire is not freezing. Make certain the fluid is full, not low enough to create a 'loping' issue.
3.) On a flat, smooth surface (shop floor) jack up the wheel on the suspected side. Scotch the other side and put the tractor in neutral. If you have a mounted dial indicator, use it but anything with a straight edge will work. Take a stable straight edge and place it next to the tire. Using a bright light, visually inspect the gap between the tire and the straight edge while the tire is rotated. If the gap changes, determine whether it is in the tire or the wheel. Also make certain the tire is seated correctly. If you see movement in the wheel, take something (a rod of some sort) to repeat the same test on the inner wheel plate to determine if the bend is in the wheel ring or inner plate. Sometimes they get bent. You can do the same test at the lug nuts to test for a bent axe.

Reactions: 1 user

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Our 1966 MF Super 90 would do 24 mph in road gear. My 1953 'Moline ZAU does 12....sometimes young boys want to go faster.....

Hokie mentioned it.....probably not related to the OP's problem, but when a kid my grandfather and father always warned to never take a tractor out of gear on a hill.

Speed can get to a point where fluid would follow tire, and they'll hop like a jackrabbit. Trying to slow it with the rudimentary brakes can/will make matters worse.....especially if wheel brakes not locked together.

If you've got a couple ton of hay or silage in a wagon behind you, bad things can happen, and real fast. Happened to a couple of my friends.

One of the most sought-after antique tractors today are the 1938 Minneapolis Moline UDLX, the "Comfortractor." Only 150 (?) built that one year. First tractor with cab, and could go 40-45 mph to go to church Sunday morning. Too expensive, so abandoned. Go for $100-200k now, depending on condition.

Can't imagine driving a 1938 tractor at 40 mph....😨😨

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
What is the world's fastest tractor? In 1934 it was the Allis-Chalmers Model U. The record setting speed of 65.45 miles per hour was set by Ab Jenkins, a speed record that went unchallenged for 81 years (2015 !!! )

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
Hokie mentioned it.....probably not related to the OP's problem, but when a kid my grandfather and father always warned to never take a tractor out of gear on a hill.

If you've got a couple ton of hay or silage in a wagon behind you, bad things can happen, and real fast. Happened to a couple of my friends.
This past summer an Amish family near me had probably the most tragic accident ever in my county. A small utility trailer loaded with 9 people was being towed by a very old tractor on a very steep road when control was lost. Wife, 3 kids and a nephew were lost. In addition, there were severe injuries to others.

The exact cause may never be known, the Amish don’t dwell on such things. One theory is that model tractor free wheels in low range but will hold back in high range, opposite what you might expect.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
This past summer an Amish family near me had probably the most tragic accident ever in my county. A small utility trailer loaded with 9 people was being towed by a very old tractor on a very steep road when control was lost. Wife, 3 kids and a nephew were lost. In addition, there were severe injuries to others.

The exact cause may never be known, the Amish don’t dwell on such things. One theory is that model tractor free wheels in low range but will hold back in high range, opposite what you might expect.
Holy smokes, so unfortunate and sad. True, Amish don't talk much.....

I was driving a neighbor's Farmall H with a load of hay behind up their steep dirt town road. Tractor kicked out of 2nd(?) gear. Thankfully, I grabbed both wheel brakes quick, and they held... could have been bad... Had fortgotten about that until now. I had the battery fall out of that H once. It wasn't well-taken care of, and had a lot of hours on it. I was maybe 13-14 at the time.

Some folks would "coast" a tractor downhill, and things would go bad. Others, the old timer tractors would kick out like that and similar bad things can happen.

I had one of my wife's running friends looking at the 'Moline a couple years ago. He's ~ 65 years old. Retired Pharmacist. Told him these old timers will look for anyway to kill you that they can. You have to pay attention when operating them. It's all good; you just have to remember they don't come with ANY safety provisions.

I often wonder how us farm kids survived years ago, but recall how many of my classmates were killed or severely injured.....😢

Last edited:

steveh

Equipment
Kubota L4701, forks, Land Pride rear blade, Wallenstein splitter
Dec 1, 2020
Rocky Mountains
My 4701 with ag tires bounces on our one-lane dirt county road. I learned to just slow down. Bounce gone now.