Kubota B7001 reconfigured??

61DuoGlide

Feb 21, 2017
Coventry, CT, USA
Looking to purchase a small Kubota with a bucket - was looking locally at a nice B7100. The owner says it was his fathers - but doesn't know much about it, could not say where it came from?? I did a little homework prior to, educated a bit on the grey tractor sector. So - I arrive, and immediately realized it had been repainted (brush marks - not sprayed), and new Kubota stickers, newer tires. The ID tag on LH side of tranny had a long number with B7100 somewhere on the string. But, whatever writing was on this roughly 4" square metal tag was wiped off . The alarm bell went off when I looked just above this metal tag, and stamped in the transmission case was B7001, again, a long string serial number. The tractor also had no safety bar, and no seat belt. There were some stickers in the engine area that looked original and were written in English. It had 1200h on the hour meter, and he's asking $6000. I basically confronted him that this appeared to me a grey market tractor, I recalled that B7001 was a grey number from the Kubota website - I walked. I think I made the right call on the B7001 piece. This seems to be the floor price for this size in my area of North East - amazing that these 30+ year old machines hold half their value into eternity - even the grey market ones.

HickoryNut

Equipment
BX25DLB/PForks,Front Blade,3PH,and 3Pt STUFF, BXPanded UA, Piranha, BH Dolly,Rip
Apr 15, 2011
NE Georgia
It very well could have been a B7100. In the late 70's, B7001 was stamped on the housing. I have a 78/79 B7100 with over 3300 hours, aftermarket ROP'S and no seat belt (they did not come with them).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

61DuoGlide

Feb 21, 2017
Coventry, CT, USA
Thanks for that feedback guys - dating this tractor to be late 1970's as opposed to late 1980's as advertised is a huge help, and would put me in a different negotiating position. I also see that Kubota sells ROPS for about $150 to owners of the B7100, plus shipping. Considering your advice, I will take a second look. A 40 year old tractor means inevitable tinkering - but I do trust the basic drivetrain and engine quality of these proven beasts that I'm not all too concerned about a major breakdown. Again thanks -

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
All B7100 Have B7001-XXXXX on the transmission.

Now If you take that XXXXX # and look at http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/001/2/7/1271-kubota-b7100.html it will give you the rough year that it should have been built, 1976 -1985.

I personally think 6K is way too much for a B7100 even with a loader and backhoe in you area!
Yea they go for that here, but that's just because they are really hard to find.
There are plenty of the newer B7100 HST's avalible on your side of the world for much less $$.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA

Not all B7100's started with 7001 - but the early ones did! I do not think you have a grey market tractor.

I am gonna guess you have 4 bolt pattern on the front however.

That 6k is a little high, BUT I have seen worse ! check this out:

https://lynchburg.craigslist.org/grd/5997069811.html

this guy is out of his @#$@#$ mind!!!!! THIS exact tractor was near my street and the guy wanted 7200 ......this guy is trying find a sucker!!! He bought it - moved it 30 miles and charging 1k more if not more than that!

Your machine has very few hours, assuming the hour meter works.

Does it smoke much when you start it? Probably will for a few seconds........

6K might seem high - and you should be able to find a little bigger hp machine if you look harder, but this machine if ok all the way around would be a good deal around 5k ........I would bring that to the table next trip to see it!

you did not say if this was geared or hst.....ag or turf
and as for the rops, few had them and fewer seat belts!

take another look - the series was one of Kubota's finest, and this machine probably has more history than most!

But a picture would help us!

61DuoGlide

Feb 21, 2017
Coventry, CT, USA
Thx for comments Hokie and Wolfman - This is a manual transmission. I'm now 2nd in line because of backing off, but if I do get a call to come back out, I appreciate the guidance on pricing. The tractor was being used when I stopped out - and it was not smoking. For what I need it to do - it seems like a good fit. I understand it does have obvious limitations on payload, and ROPS is a must for me with terraces and hills. This program that Kubota provides to sell ROPS/belts for what seems a very modest price ($149) is good to know. Anything in particular you would look for as any obvious signs that the tractor has underlying issue - any common ailments that these suffer (cracks, transmission, leaks (major))? We get some serious snow on occasion here in CT., I would have it in my plan to get a plow blade for winter plowing - with the 4x4 I would think this would work great. It has Agriculture big tread tires. Little monster tractor - they are cool. :)

61DuoGlide

Feb 21, 2017
Coventry, CT, USA
Snoozers losers. The B7100 was sold to a guy after I looked and passed thinking this was a grey market. The owner informed me he took $4K afetr asking $6K, he was tired of the selling process. Now that was a deal - with a loader and snow thrower. Given the input, I do believe this was a near 40 year old machine with a repaint and newer tires, so I continue the hunt. I will add that the rear Ag tires seemed much wider that what I've seen on most others - I kind of like that as it seems it would be less likely to create ruts in softer ground.