Kubota B6200 4WD double wheels or wide wheel on the front

Zimoludek

Equipment
Kubota B6200
Jan 2, 2024
Mahwah NJ
Hi all, I have some questions of my own, front turf tire size is 20.5x8x10 while I see someone mention here that they use 20x8x10 wouldn’t that mess up with the ratio on the 4x4 I like to install 20x10x10 since I can’t find 20.5x10x10 and I’m looking for someone to confirm that this .5 first number is no big deal. I need wider tires in the front as the original turf tires are destroying my grass when I drive with a full scooped of rocks in the front loader, I would love to put two and two wheels in the front but not sure that could be done and yes I have substantial weight on the back of the tractor to balance out my front loader but still not enough. My property is next to wetlands so my grass is always on the moist side. Just to add, I do have two sets of wheels for my B6200 4WD turf on the tractor and a set of rims with AG tires. Is there any chance that I could sandwich my front turf wheel with my AG wheel (after changing the tire on it from AG to another turf) Thank you all for your help.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
The measuring is the key - a 20.5 tire "should" measure about 20.5" in diameter - and a 20" should measure 20 - but that is NOT always the case.

As for the width - make sure it will not rub the inside on the steering or anything else.

AS for mixing - the diameters of the sets must be the same as the ratio of OEM - so mixing the turfs with the Ags may not work depending on the diameter of the sets.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
First the difference between a 20.5 x 8 - 10 and a 20 x 8 - 10 is negligible so no it won't kill the front end.
Now going from a 20.5 x 8 -10 to a 20.5 x 10 - 10 is going to push it past the right ratio needed.

You can't mount turfs on ag rims they are not the same width if they are the same dia. (most are not).

Putting duals on the front is very risky as your just asking to break parts.

What you need is a proper PLY of tire, low ply tires squash under load and dig in where higher ply tires hold the weight and hold there shape better.

And you need the proper amount of rear ballast.
If the front tires are digging in you do not have enough ballast or it's not far enough back to balance the load.

Reactions: 1 user

Zimoludek

Equipment
Kubota B6200
Jan 2, 2024
Mahwah NJ
First the difference between a 20.5 x 8 - 10 and a 20 x 8 - 10 is negligible so no it won't kill the front end.
Now going from a 20.5 x 8 -10 to a 20.5 x 10 - 10 is going to push it past the right ratio needed.

You can't mount turfs on ag rims they are not the same width if they are the same dia. (most are not).

Putting duals on the front is very risky as your just asking to break parts.

What you need is a proper PLY of tire, low ply tires squash under load and dig in where higher ply tires hold the weight and hold there shape better.

And you need the proper amount of rear ballast.
If the front tires are digging in you do not have enough ballast or it's not far enough back to balance the load.
Why would the width matter ? isn’t the ratio calculated off of the diameter and width has nothing to it ? 20 and 20.5 plays into the ratio calculation while 8 or 10 width doesn’t isn’t that the case ?

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
The .5 difference can be compensated for by changing air pressure.
I doubt that a marginally wider tire on the front will make much difference on how it affects your lawn. As Idaho said, focus on counterweight. Or, you could put a platform on the 3 point and haul the rocks on the rear of the tractor, or take less of a load each trip.

Zimoludek

Equipment
Kubota B6200
Jan 2, 2024
Mahwah NJ
The measuring is the key - a 20.5 tire "should" measure about 20.5" in diameter - and a 20" should measure 20 - but that is NOT always the case.

As for the width - make sure it will not rub the inside on the steering or anything else.

AS for mixing - the diameters of the sets must be the same as the ratio of OEM - so mixing the turfs with the Ags may not work depending on the diameter of the sets.
The width is not the problem, they will fit just right, but as per feedback from below I will have ratio issues with a tire that is 10 instead of 8 in width. I feel that width has nothing to do with ratio but now I’m a bit lost. As to 20.5 vs 20 I understand that both are made to certain tolerances but when you buy a tire online you won’t be able to know the true measurement until it arrives. Thanks for your feedback.

Zimoludek

Equipment
Kubota B6200
Jan 2, 2024
Mahwah NJ
The .5 difference can be compensated for by changing air pressure.
I doubt that a marginally wider tire on the front will make much difference on how it affects your lawn. As Idaho said, focus on counterweight. Or, you could put a platform on the 3 point and haul the rocks on the rear of the tractor, or take less of a load each trip.
I’m near wetlands so my grass even after few days of sun is still moist, last year I moved 20ton of river rock to the pond and with my existing setup it was fine but it could had been better since the front wheel tracks were more visible than the back, I do understand the counterweight and I have been playing around with it (putting my engineering degree to work) I do still feel that a wider (as much as possible) tire in the front would do a big difference, double wheels would be best but locating another two front turf wheals not easy in my area, I get it attaching them together would need to be done right with proper reinforcement and that’s not a problem, tractor had no power steering so less to brake :) Thanks for your help.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
OK , you want to run a wider tire of a different size,,gp a head and do it, if you do not use 4wd it aint a problem....... However if you plan on using 4wd the rolling ration between the front and that back have to match the gear ration of both the front and read differentials.

Lest gears beginith to nash ,and grind upon each other, making noises as boulders grating against the face of the earth. And be rendered useless causing thee to spout great quantifies of naughty words, and proving that thy tools are not enabled to fly with out thy rath.

In my fog addled old mind there is a chart for the ratios and sizes, I dont remember where it is. Find it and you should be much closer to you answer

Zimoludek

Equipment
Kubota B6200
Jan 2, 2024
Mahwah NJ
OK , you want to run a wider tire of a different size,,gp a head and do it, if you do not use 4wd it aint a problem....... However if you plan on using 4wd the rolling ration between the front and that back have to match the gear ration of both the front and read differentials.

Lest gears beginith to nash ,and grind upon each other, making noises as boulders grating against the face of the earth. And be rendered useless causing thee to spout great quantifies of naughty words, and proving that thy tools are not enabled to fly with out thy rath.

In my fog addled old mind there is a chart for the ratios and sizes, I dont remember where it is. Find it and you should be much closer to you answer
But I plan on changing only the width of the tire the diameter will be the same or just .5 smaller all else is the same, would that mess with the ratio ?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The width is not the problem, they will fit just right, but as per feedback from below I will have ratio issues with a tire that is 10 instead of 8 in width. I feel that width has nothing to do with ratio but now I’m a bit lost. As to 20.5 vs 20 I understand that both are made to certain tolerances but when you buy a tire online you won’t be able to know the true measurement until it arrives. Thanks for your feedback.
The diameter and width is not the way you think.
A 20x8 and a 20x10 are not the same rolling circumference.
As the tire gets wider it also gets taller, it's just the way tires are made.
Also you would need to have the rims widen too in order to go from a 8" to a 10" width.

Now the issue with the duals has nothing to do with attaching the rims to each other or the tractor.'
It has to do with the fulcrum force on the axles, the hubs and bearings.
You're going to break one of those!

Reactions: 1 user

b454rat

Equipment
B7100HST
Dec 10, 2022
Windsor NY
The diameter and width is not the way you think.
A 20x8 and a 20x10 are not the same rolling circumference.
As the tire gets wider it also gets taller, it's just the way tires are made.
Also you would need to have the rims widen too in order to go from a 8" to a 10" width.
This makes ZERO sense. A 20x8 has the same diameter than a 20x10, or it wouldn't be called a 20"!!! If a tire get taller as it got wider, then it would be a taller tire. A 20x8, 20x10, 20xwhatever is 20" tall, no matter what. If they make a 20x10, then it's still a 20" tire. If it gets taller, then it wouldn't be called a 20" tire. Now (in extreme cases) if you take a narrow wheel, an install a wide tire, then yes, it would be a taller tire. But the height change would be so small, it wouldn't make a difference.

Last edited by a moderator:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
This makes ZERO sense. A 20x8 has the same diameter than a 20x10, or it wouldn't be called a 20"!!! If a tire get taller as it got wider, then it would be a taller tire. A 20x8, 20x10, 20xwhatever is 20" tall, no matter what. If they make a 20x10, then it's still a 20" tire. If it gets taller, then it wouldn't be called a 20" tire. Now (in extreme cases) if you take a narrow wheel, an install a wide tire, then yes, it would be a taller tire. But the height change would be so small, it wouldn't make a difference.
Good luck to you!

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
My BX22 had 8" rims on the front, and when I went to the dealer to get new tires and rims, they sold me the same rims that my BX23S uses, a 10" rim. They told me that the 8" was no longer available from Kubota and that this was the replacement. I bought the pair and put them on and didn't have any problems before selling the machine. Is the next owner going to be having problems, I don't know. Now, I question did they change the gearing between the BX22 and the BX23S? I still have the old tires and rims, so I might check the circumference of the old and the new to see if they are the same. Won't be able to do this until tonight's snow melts enough to get to the old tire's resting area.