Status
Not open for further replies.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Around here all the fast food places are short handed. Folks call in order, told be ready for pickup in 30-40 minutes. They get there and still wait 45 minutes. Everyone's upset and take it out on the young staff that is there.

I eat at home and don't have that problem!

Reactions: 1 users

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
Many of our local restaurants have reduced hours (only doing breakfast/ lunch or lunch/dinner) due to lack of employees.
The local Bob Evans had gone to serving only breakfast and lunch back before the pandemic, open 6AM til 2PM. Then, due to staffing shortages, they closed altogether. Same thing in Elkhart, then in Mishawaka too. It sat empty for a couple of years, and finally early last fall, the signs were changed, inside was renovated, and the exterior made over. Now the sign has a new name, I forget what it is, some kind of pancake house, and "Now Hiring". It still hasn't opened.
However, there is no shortage of new Mexican restaurants opening in the area during the pandemic, I know of at least six within 10 miles.
My favorite breakfast joint, Tony's, has been able to survive. Early on they were only take-out, so all the regulars supported them with plenty of business, tips for the staff and some donations. They have been able to keep most of their staff and replace a couple of waitresses that retired after 20-25 years working there, and seem to be doing okay.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
My wife is working 6 days a week to keep her store going with just one employee. The store is open 7 days a week for the past 49 years. Not certain how long this will go on, but at some point, she wants to retire. Can't sell it because there are no buyers with any money, and there is no way that she is going to walk away with a contract with nothing to back up the signature. The people that have money are not interested because it means that they will have to work, and the people with no money will sell off the inventory and walk away. It is no wonder that so many businesses today are closing down.

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
Henro said... I always wore a mask when buying beer, but noticed that the employees never did. Not that a mask makes that much difference...

Dont make a difference? Why would you say that? Dont want the mask haters to pounce on you? What do I know but I will tell you what I think about masks. My wife and two daughters work in covid infested hospitols. They are exposed on a daily basis which puts me at a high risk. None have gotten sick so far thank God. Covid gets you through the respiratory system. Masks work when worn correctly. :rolleyes: They suck to wear but do work. JMHO!

Reactions: 1 user

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
If you're talking about the one next door to Bob Evan's I walked out of that joint two weeks ago for the same reason. A cook didnt show up and its a 30 minute wait at 1/3 capacity.
YUP dats the one!

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Those things aren’t new; been around forever and none of those things provide an annual income. What is new is that many older folks decided to retire during the past few years, and due to declining birth rates after the boomer generation, there are less young people to replace them. Also, the pandemic caused many people to flee the service jobs to places that offer health insurance benefits. Many went to work at places like Walmart or Amazon warehouses because of the benefits. It’s going to be tough times for small businesses that cannot offer benefits to employees in the future. Just a fact about changing times.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
Those things aren’t new; been around forever and none of those things provide an annual income. What is new is that many older folks decided to retire during the past few years, and due to declining birth rates after the boomer generation, there are less young people to replace them. Also, the pandemic caused many people to flee the service jobs to places that offer health insurance benefits. Many went to work at places like Walmart or Amazon warehouses because of the benefits. It’s going to be tough times for small businesses that cannot offer benefits to employees in the future. Just a fact about changing times.
I understand all that. I believe many have found their way to get on those programs and find the free food, utilities and child tax credits and made that a way of life.

Geezer3d

Equipment
Kubota LX2610SU
Apr 22, 2021
Heart of the Catskills
This lifestyle existed long before the plague, it was just made worse by our response to the the plague. It will continue as long as some people can get more by staying home than they would get by entering the job market.

On the other hand, automation of many jobs will soon make it easier for the economy to get along with fewer workers. Things are going to be very interesting.

Reactions: 1 user

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
Why is everyone so worried? Don't you remember that Brandon told everyone in October/November 2020 he was the only one with a plan to beat covid!!! Here we are 13 months later with three different strands, no tests to be found, and record numbers of deaths and cases. Patience is a virtue :p

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.