Join first or buy first

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 w/loader, finish mower, tiller, auger, rake. BX24 w/loader, backhoe
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
It would be interesting to know how many bought a new tractor based on what they learned here, but only joined AFTER they discovered how much they didn't know.
I think that would be interesting too.
Sooo.....
Who joined after they bought a tractor and who joined before?
And....
Did you buy new or used?
And one more....
If you did buy after, was your decision to buy new or used based on what you learned here on OTT?

I'll start.
I joined after I bought, and I bought used.

Now it's your turn. :)

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
I was a lurker before I joined for some time, did not own a tractor so felt no need to have the ability to post.

Purchased a tractor then joined.

I knew what I wanted after using my uncles for years, had to be a L3800 or l4600 gear drive. His was a L3400, just not big enough to do what I had planned for it.

nbking

Equipment
L2501HST 4X4, Rtv-x900
Jul 8, 2018
Sonora, CA
I started looking at tractors first, then started lurking here and TBN. About a week after lurking joined, then bought the tractor.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I had my little orange beast well before I found this place,,stopped in for coffee and never left

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I joined about the same time I was pricing mine, so I was a member before the tractor was delivered.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I had my little orange beast well before I found this place,,stopped in for coffee and never left
I did the same ......about 2 weeks after I bought .....scratch the coffee - add the ol Diet Dew!;)

Ortimber

Sep 27, 2016
Oregon
Been on ranch with tractors my whole life.
I bought first, then joined. Finding this and a few other tractor sites has caused my checking acct. to diminish!!!

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
After realizing a plow on my truck wasn't gonna cut it living in here (20 inches the first storm) I knew we were in bad need of a tractor with a blower and a back blade. Off to the Kubota dealer we went looking for a used tractor only to find out it was gonna be more in our budget to buy a new one with the zero percent financing. Not knowing anything about tractors I relied on the sales guy to help me fine what I needed and could afford. A shiny new L3800 is what we settled on which I fell in love with instantly. Probably the next day if not the same day I discovered this form which was icing on the cake. Been camping out here ever since.

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
Bought first. Did some googling to figure out how much resistance my glow plugs should have (they were basically open circuit) and found here. Found out what a gray market tractor was and that I had one before I went to the dealer for parts, which was nice.

InThesticks

Equipment
B2601
Jul 9, 2018
SC WI, US
Bought first...however it took the dealer over 5 weeks to prep it for us to pick it up, so during that time I was reading and video watching.
Many great ideas here, thank you to all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Lurked first, on several forums, tried to absorb as much as possible, bought my tractor, then joined here and a couple other forums also.
Didn't take too long to figure out where the expertise and great members were,
now this is the only forum I visit regularly.

AndyM

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25DTLB
Sep 21, 2016
Vancouver Island Canada
It all happened pretty quick. From the time I decided enough fooling around - I want a tractor! - to buying - to joining this fine group - we are talking a week to 10 days. As this was my first real tractor (the sears garbage hauler doesn't count) I needed all the good advice I can get.

Boy was I lucky to find this place.

maclean

Equipment
BX25D
Jun 25, 2014
Lowell, Or
Bought first. Growing up our best friends owned acreage and always swore they'd buy a Kubota tractor...they never did. My wife and I bought 17 acres of brush and trees and then we bought a BX25D.

Found this site troubleshooting startup issues.

Wish I'd found it from the start. I would have SSQA'd the front end and bought a grapple, auger, box blade, forks and chipper on the zero down loan.

-Mac IMG_20151029_180458191.jpg

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Don, I can relate. I bought a B8200 and added power steering, screw on canister hydraulic filter and oil pressure gauge because I thought they would add to what I was doing, and the challenge.

Didn't have a forum to ask if it can be done, has anyone ever done this, what parts did you use, can you post pictures?

Maybe that's why I find it frustrating when folks come to a forum and ask seemingly simple questions before doing a good internet search. Course now, the search probably takes them to OerangeTractorTalks!

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
Started research on tractors trying to decide what to buy. Decided on a Kubota, found this site, joined and read everything I could about the different models. From info I found here and other places I made my choice, went to an open house at the local dealer armed with the knowledge of what I wanted and how much I wanted to pay. Ended up with the package I wanted at a decent price so have to give props to this site and the internet in general for helping guide me to a major investment. Major piece of info were the issues with the B3350 DPF, these were prevalent at the time of my search. When I found that the dealer didn't even stock the 3350 because of those issues it reinforced what I had researched. Previously my philosophy was more HP the better. Very happy with my first year of B2650HSDC ownership.