janky exhaust elbow

TM9311

Jul 3, 2017
normal il
Well after trying 5 places for a cast elbow, all saying in stock and not actually being in stock I made my own. Laser cut flange 3/8, 1-1/4 pipe and fittings are perfect ID.

I cut a 4inch nipple in half, welded the flat side to the flange, threaded an elbow on, threaded the other half into the elbow and then on the bottom of the stock muffler there is a compression fit that slips over the OD of the pipe. I ended up tacking/sealing up with weld (very crooked at my own doing) but it works...

anyone have a better idea? I don;t think it will but I don't want to crack a manifold.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Well after trying 5 places for a cast elbow, all saying in stock and not actually being in stock I made my own. Laser cut flange 3/8, 1-1/4 pipe and fittings are perfect ID.

I cut a 4inch nipple in half, welded the flat side to the flange, threaded an elbow on, threaded the other half into the elbow and then on the bottom of the stock muffler there is a compression fit that slips over the OD of the pipe. I ended up tacking/sealing up with weld (very crooked at my own doing) but it works...

anyone have a better idea? I don;t think it will but I don't want to crack a manifold.
NONE of this happened!!!!!!......

UNless you show us some pictures!!! LOL:D:)

we'd love to see it!:)

TM9311

Jul 3, 2017
normal il
NONE of this happened!!!!!!......

UNless you show us some pictures!!! LOL:D:)

we'd love to see it!:)

I suppose I should mention the tractor, it's my l245dt. I snapped the muffler off on low hangers the other day.

Someone else welded it for me.... I swear. Impatience and a 2 year old rummaging through your garage make you not focus.

IMG_7530.jpg IMG_7532.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Pretty nice.

If you wanted to protect your work from further low limbs you could (obviously before you welded it up) put the vertical piece of the nipple in a lathe and cut a ring around it. You'd then have a weak point for it to have a controlled break.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I suppose I should mention the tractor, it's my l245dt. I snapped the muffler off on low hangers the other day.

Someone else welded it for me.... I swear. Impatience and a 2 year old rummaging through your garage make you not focus.
2 year old in garage while welding...I'd say he's the one that won't focus! :eek:

Looks like it will work fine! ;)

TM9311

Jul 3, 2017
normal il
2 year old in garage while welding...I'd say he's the one that won't focus! :eek:

Looks like it will work fine! ;)

Figured that would get mentioned. Not present when welding, don't worry.

Good idea about the breakoff point. I thought about mounting the muffler to the loader frame and flex to the mani but ehh.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I did the same joyful exercise of not clearing a limb with my Deutz 6206. It has the exhaust manifold with a flange on top and the pipe to the muffler bolt very similar to yours.

I called the salvage place for those parts and the guy said you can't find used, their all broke!

I welded it back together. I also welded a crack in an exhaust manifold on the L305 when I got it. I used a wire welder on one, and a stick on the other. The metal in the manifolds have some steel in the cast iron, or my luck would not have been so good.

TM9311

Jul 3, 2017
normal il
I did the same joyful exercise of not clearing a limb with my Deutz 6206. It has the exhaust manifold with a flange on top and the pipe to the muffler bolt very similar to yours.

I called the salvage place for those parts and the guy said you can't find used, their all broke!

I welded it back together. I also welded a crack in an exhaust manifold on the L305 when I got it. I used a wire welder on one, and a stick on the other. The metal in the manifolds have some steel in the cast iron, or my luck would not have been so good.

I sense it will happen again just because. Not that I'm not paying attention like this time just because haha