Is your home security wireless?

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I saw this short news report today and I started thinking about my home security system. I have a wireless home security system and I suspect that many on this forum have one also. I am now rethinking my home security system and maybe go to a hard wire system. If anyone knows of anything that can be done to prevent a jammer like the one being used in this short video from disabling a wireless home security system, please let us know.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I am not sure really there is a fool proof way to stop someone that is determined…but you might give them reason to try an easier mark…Maybe consider a couple of these…(mine are wireless😂).

Attachments

• Love
Reactions: 9 users

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I am not sure really there is a fool proof way to stop someone that is determined…but you might give them reason to try an easier mark…Maybe consider a couple of these…(mine are wireless😂).
I fully agree with those wireless solutions. Unfortunately, my wife does not agree. She says that the upkeep of those systems is too maintenance intensive at our age. I want a happy life so I will keep my wife happy by not getting that security system.

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
My wife throws things.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Hardwired as I was in the industry for several decades.
I use ULC listed switches ( NO/NC) , three wire, into window comparator front end so cannot be 'compromised. Panel was direct wired to ULC AA listed central monitoring station and 'system' has never been 'compromised' or 'hacked', can even work if one of the 2 com wires is down.
All wireless systems are easily hackable....

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I have been out of the industry for over 4 decades, but the one thing that I learned is that any system can be compromised by those who have the experience to know how. A hardwired system is still the best, along with both hardwired phones, backed up by cell phones to various agencies notified. This is how many jewelry stores are protected today. One of the phone systems would also notify a 24/7 UL-listed monitoring agency. I am certain that there are many advancements available today, however, I am not aware of what they are unless I were to call a friend in the business.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Mines wireless. Requires some kibble and a couple cans of food a day 😁😁😁😁

Reactions: 2 users

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Hardwired as I was in the industry for several decades.
I use ULC listed switches ( NO/NC) , three wire, into window comparator front end so cannot be 'compromised. Panel was direct wired to ULC AA listed central monitoring station and 'system' has never been 'compromised' or 'hacked', can even work if one of the 2 com wires is down.
All wireless systems are easily hackable....
I agree that hardwire systems are the best. They are also the hardest to install if not done during initial construction or during a renovation. Hiding the wires is paramount and hiding/disguising the cameras if possible is important too. I don't have the physical ability to install a good wired system and I don't really have the money to hire an installer.

I was hoping that someone could suggest a way to prevent disruption of a wireless system that is already installed. Since I am home most often I really don't worry about security when I am home. It is when I am not home that I am concerned about. The response times of law enforcement for residential burglary in my area is abysmal. The criminals are long gone before anyone arrives. I need to be able to monitor my system when I am not home so that means a wireless system in my case.

So far, we have not had any hot burglaries ever in my area, nor any home invasions of any sort yet. Probably because we live 6 miles from the closest town. However, we have had at least one shed broken into and a couple of yard thefts in the past 10 years that I have lived here. That may not sound like a lot to be concerned about, but I am the type that prepares for what may happen, not necessarily what has historically happened. Hence, I am vigilant about watching vehicles that drive in our neighborhood and taking notice of any activity that is out of the norm, or vehicles that I do not recognize. I do not hide that fact that I am watching them. It is my feeling that if wrong doers know that someone is watching closely that they are less likely to target our neighborhood since we have just one road to access it.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Usually the 'alarm system' will have small battery backup, so replace the battery, even rewire to use a HUGE sealed battery.
Install 4 or more sirens, 2 inside ,2 outside. The more noise the better.
Alarm panels will have a primary and a secondary callout line. Usually primary is connected to home phone line, secondary is a 'cell phone' device that calls the central monitoring station(CMS). If can't connect on primary, automatically use the secondary.

Newer panels allow the home owner to call INTO the panel to check status,change stuff.... There may be an 'ap' you can load into your cellphone to automatically call the panel to ask 'are you OK ?'

The systems I designed, 3 decades ago, direct wire, were called by central monitoring station computer every 15 seconds. Sadly 99.44% of all 'alarm systems' are 'dialout' based. Meaning the home unit has to call the CMS and easy to defeat..cut the landline or use a 'jammer'.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The response times of law enforcement for residential burglary in my area is abysmal. The criminals are long gone before anyone arrives. I need to be able to monitor my system when I am not home so that means a wireless system in my case.
So what is the alarm system going to do for you when you not home?
Let you know "Hey your place is being burgled, what you going to do about it?"
or is it a "please wait to come home so you don't get shot by the peep/s robbing your place scenario"

Alarm systems are only good if they have an active response to it going off, IE cops / security rolls up, Neighbors come out hot, or your lucky enough to be in the shop out back with an AR at the ready.

I did hundreds of wired alarm systems and so many people get a false sense of safety and security from them.

Any good wireless system will know it its being jammed and go off regardless.

Reactions: 1 users

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
or is it a "please wait to come home so you don't get shot by the peep/s robbing your place scenario"

Alarm systems are only good if they have an active response to it going off, IE cops / security rolls up, Neighbors come out hot, or your lucky enough to be in the shop out back with an AR at the ready.

I did hundreds of wired alarm systems and so many people get a false sense of safety and security from them.

Currently this is what happens. The cameras send a push notification to me with still pictures and video. I determine if action is necessary. If action is necessary, I then call one of my neighbors that I have an agreement with. They then call 911 and report the intrusion, and report that they are also responding to the alarm and that they will wait for the police to arrive. After that it is a matter of keeping each other notified as to what the status is and react accordingly.

Where I live almost all of us are active or retired military. We have each other's backs and keep each other informed about what we have going on such as visitors expected and things like that. It is not a perfect system but it is certainly better than simply waiting 30 minutes or more for cops to arrive.

Mostly, it is just us neighbors knowing each other and watching out for each other. Kind of like a neighborhood watch but better.

P0234

Equipment
BX
Nov 13, 2023
NoVA
So on a hard wired system, what is stopping a bad guy from cutting your phone line and using a cell jammer so your backup (if you have one) can't call out?

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 w/ 60" MMM, LP 72" Snow Plow, EA Wicked 55" Grapple, and Woods 60" BB
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
Agreed, I have a wireless security system, a dog that hates being disturbed at night and a number of additional discouragers if someone chooses to proceed further.

Last edited:

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas

Same here. We have the 'DEWS" system. And you're NOT getting past that undetected!

Dachshund Early Warning System.

We have two of them.....because its good to have 'redundancies' when it comes to security.

07-04-18.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca

Get a camera recorder so you can watch blurry-cam video that may or may not show what happened. Also buy a big box of microwave popcorn at costco.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
re:
So on a hard wired system, what is stopping a bad guy from cutting your phone line and using a cell jammer so your backup (if you have one) can't call out?

Nothing if the crook is smart but....
If your landline is underground, it'll slow him down. Also when cut alarm system immediately uses backup.
If there's a cell jammer used, your cellphone ap SEES that 'loss of communication'.
If you have cable internet, that's a 3rd layer of detection, again if 'loss of communication', you're informed.
If paranoid, get a satphone tech transmitter.....4th layer.....
If really,really paranoid, use a LASER com device to neighbour if less than 2KM away.

In the end 'alarm systems' are for 'detection' NOT 'protection' (BIG legal difference BTW...). You want to make it hard for the thieves to get in, don't advertise you have $$$ things to steal( like cut up the box the new TV came in...not just toss into garage).Don't leave the extention ladder out! Have lots of loud sirens go off(thieves hate noise ). Also have 2-3 hirez trail cameras well hidden, to get great shots of thieves and their stolen car. Have several solar powered PIR LED come on when anyone comes near the house.
Do NOT tell anyone that you've 'upgraded' your security and how, the less that KNOW the better.
Bottom line, make them forget about YOUR place, go to someone else's.

wp6529

Equipment
B7100DT
Oct 31, 2023
TX
Hardwired is always best. Cameras are imperative and they must be properly placed and aimed, 4MP or better and have supplemental IR floodlighting in the area (not just the built in IR). The DVR must be 100% secured and local, no "cloud" junk.

A "security system" works two ways, either:

1. You are home and the alarm gives you an extra minute to grab a weapon or get to a safe room.

or

2. You are not home, any sort of "response" is going to arrive after the intruders are gone and you will need clear, high quality pictures / video to have any chance of identifying the intruders.

The idea that any sort of "monitoring station" will help or police response will arrive for anything other than documenting after the fact is pretty much fantasy.

P0234

Equipment
BX
Nov 13, 2023
NoVA
re:

Nothing if the crook is smart but....
If your landline is underground, it'll slow him down. Also when cut alarm system immediately uses backup.
If there's a cell jammer used, your cellphone ap SEES that 'loss of communication'.
If you have cable internet, that's a 3rd layer of detection, again if 'loss of communication', you're informed.
If paranoid, get a satphone tech transmitter.....4th layer.....
If really,really paranoid, use a LASER com device to neighbour if less than 2KM away.
All landlines/home internet services terminate at a NID, at least anything built in the last 30-40 years. There is usually a nice bright orange conduit sticking out of the ground to make it even more apparent.

Not sure what you are talking about as far as jammer and something seeing a loss of communication, maybe you can link me to something because the devices I have just assume its a weak signal.

So after you take care of those two things, there is nothing left to worry about, there is not reason to even care if the alarm is wired or wireless, it doesn't matter.

Now if you want something effective, you can hide your real NID and setup a decoy, that when cut, calls the PoPo.

wp6529

Equipment
B7100DT
Oct 31, 2023
TX
All landlines/home internet services terminate at a NID, at least anything built in the last 30-40 years.
In urban / suburban areas perhaps, but in rural areas Internet is often wireless either WISP or from a 4G/5G cell carrier.