Is your home security wireless?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
'alarm systems' work one of two ways

1) the house panel CALLS the 'Central Monitoring Station' saying 'house is being broken into'.

2) the Central Monitoring Station CALLS the house,often, to ask for a 'status update'

#1 is NOT truly a secured, monitored system. if you cut the 'phone line', panel can't call out, CMS assumes everything is normal.

#2 IS the better way to do it . CMS asks for status, often, if all 'green' , great. IF 'loss of communications' that is treated as 'trouble/possible break in', guy automatically sent to see WHAT and WHY.

In the systems I designed, I could tell BELL CDA where, within reason , THEIR phone line was open or grounded, even whether it was 'tip' or 'ring' that had the fault and some lines were 15 miles long.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
yep. well sort of...

no 911.JPG

Reactions: 1 user

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I have a monitored system, and if the phone line goes down, I get a call and if they can't reach me, they notify the local police who respond. It is hard-wired and also has listening capabilities. Our store has had 3 break-ins and each time they caught the culprits. It does help that we are less than a mile away from police headquarters and 1 1/2 mile from the State Police barracks who back up the local police. A new patrolman was checking doors and he set off the alarm. When he got back into his car, he was dispatched to check the door he had just "rattled".

P0234

Equipment
BX
Nov 13, 2023
NoVA
In urban / suburban areas perhaps, but in rural areas Internet is often wireless either WISP or from a 4G/5G cell carrier.
Right, which is why the second step is a radio signal jammer.

Look, the whole point I'm making is sure, wirless can be jammed, but so can the whole system. Most criminals are really stupid and just smash and grab. Most homeowners are also stupid and never actually use their alarm system.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
My smoker alarm softly beeps when it is at temp and my neighbor hears it and calls me. Every. Single. Time. Just need to replace my alarm sirens with smoker beeps and I’ll have the Calvary here in minutes.
We had a wired system at the old house and they wanted a fortune each month to “monitor”. It was with Brinks and was well over 250/mo. They drive their sales on fear and show up with police reports, photos and all sorts of crap. 99% of which was not in 100 miles of our location. We now have a wireless system and full monitoring. The insurance discount covers the monthly monitoring fee. I don’t worry about it being jammed. I get calls from the monitoring company if my system drops offline and they can’t connect.

wp6529

Equipment
B7100DT
Oct 31, 2023
TX
Right, which is why the second step is a radio signal jammer.

Look, the whole point I'm making is sure, wirless can be jammed, but so can the whole system. Most criminals are really stupid and just smash and grab. Most homeowners are also stupid and never actually use their alarm system.
Which is why I say local well secured dvr, can backup to "cloud" but someone else's compurer cannot be your only recording.

Your system can just sms you with alarm and pics and then you can decide if somone else needs to be called. Paying for monitoring is a total waste for any normal home.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
re: our system can just sms you with alarm and pics
Providing crooks don't jam the SMS transmitter...

re: Paying for monitoring is a total waste for any normal home.
Depends on how much the monitoring fee is and what discount your insurance company gives.....

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Sign at front door: “ There is a shovel leaning against the side of the garage. If you want a proper burial after you try to steal something here, you should dig a hole the desired depth first.”

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
heck I just tell visitors the reason I bought the BX23S is that it can dig a 6' deep trench, keeps ky-otes from finding 'buried treasure'. When they ask why do I have 2 big bags of lye, I just say it may have to go in the trench, one day.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
heck I just tell visitors the reason I bought the BX23S is that it can dig a 6' deep trench, keeps ky-otes from finding 'buried treasure'. When they ask why do I have 2 big bags of lye, I just say it may have to go in the trench, one day.
I don't think lye is necessary if the hole is deep enough. Also, I thought that they used lime.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Sign at front door: “ There is a shovel leaning against the side of the garage. If you want a proper burial after you try to steal something here, you should dig a hole the desired depth first.”
Thats funny... That you think they can read!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Max must be a popular name for Rottweilers. My former next-door-neighbor Chuck moved many years ago to his dream-property… a hundred acres with a small brick home and a barn with two ponds… We’d been close next-door-neighbors when we lived in town and shared a beer, tools, kid-watching, whatever for a couple years before he bought his dream-place and moved out about an hour southeast of town.. I did the same the next year…opposite direction an hour from town.
Chuck still worked in town for a microchip mfr’r… but he loved living on his own place and didn’t care how far he had to drive to be there.

Chuck always held a big outdoor Barbeque on the 4th of July, inviting the same crowd each year until we were all just like extended family to each other. Since he lived so far out he bought a Rottweiler puppy with the hopes of raising him to be a good babysitter for his kids and guard dog for the home while he worked 40 miles away in-town. Max grew up to be a big-ol’ friendly lean-against-your-leg friendly dog at those 4th of July celebrations, quickly accepting all of us a “family”>

One day while out driving near the end of a work-day I realized I was only a couple miles from Chucks place and he’d be home in another half-hour or so…. and I knew the ‘fridge on his back porch had cold beer in it…. so figured I’d go sit on the porch and sip a beer while awaiting his return home…and then we’d have a nice visit before I headed home on a 2-hour drive to my place on the other side of town.

When I pulled up to Chucks drive I forgot the combination to his gate-lock… and was about to just hop over the gate and walk the 50 yards to his back porch for that cold beer ….when I saw Max…. sitting upright beside the porch in the middle of the drive…. intently watching me about to climb that gate.

“HEY, MAX! GOOD DOG!”, I called out.

Max didn’t move a muscle.

Whistle-Whistle- Hey Max! Com’-Ere Boy! Whistle-Whistle.

Max remains steady as a rock… staring me down….like he was thinking ..”OK Buddy…. Act like you think it’s OK to come over that gate…. Come On now….Just climb over that gaaate…”

I KNOW THIS DOG! This dog KNOWS ME! We’ve been huggin’ and pettin’ and playin’ Fetch for a couple Years… when Chuck was home… Wha’s that matter with you?

”Whistle-Whistle… HERE MAX!”

Doesn’t even blink. Like a statue Max sits,…. Eyes Intent on my every move.

I ended up sitting in my truck for almost an hour wishing I had a cold beer in my hands, before Chuck drives up to find me blocking his driveway.
The MOMENT Chuck gets out of his car and comes over to shake my hand…. Max BOUNDS up the drive to the gate all excited to have Daddy home and company to PLAY with!

When I told Chuck how his dog had stood-and-Stared-me-down…. He told me, “You know, Max is such a big Ol’ Friendly Dog… I’ve always worried that he wouldn’t make a good guard-dog while I was away. I’m GLAD you finally CONFIRMED he knew what his job was!”

I replied, “Chuck, that dog simply snookered me…. I didn’t know if I could count on him to remember me as a friend….or if I climbed that gate if he’d take my leg-off! … But I wasn’t ABOUT to TRY HIM!”
IMG_2348.png

This is not Max…. but looks almost identical … A Great Watchdog, full of FUN if he knows you.

Yotekiller

Equipment
Kubota L2502, LP 60" BB, LP pallet forks, 60" KK Tiller, 55" HSI root grapple
Sep 29, 2023
Southern Indiana
Been in the security/surveillance industry for a long time. I have a good system but don't rely on it. Dogs are a very good deterrent an I have two. I also have a means of easily ending someone's life which is well known if you look around the house to the back of the property. Valuables are kept in a highly secured environment. At the end of the day, take multiple measures to protect what is important and don't just rely on one or two....

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Whats funny to me, is why anyone would ask if you had a wireless system,,, things that make one go,, Hmmmmm :unsure:

wp6529

Equipment
B7100DT
Oct 31, 2023
TX
Whats funny to me, is why anyone would ask if you had a wireless system,,, things that make one go,, Hmmmmm :unsure:
Because nearly every advertised "security" system (that lets Google, China, etc. spy on you) is "wireless" for easy installation.

As for dogs, I'd rather be robbed than ever allow a dog on my property.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
To each his own, I dont mind 4 legged critters of any kind on my property,,, its the 2 legged ones I am very wary of

Reactions: 1 user