Is propeller shaft supposed to run all times~???

joekimtkd

Equipment
B7510DT, 4' Snow blower, 4' Loader, 6' Blade, 6' 3PH Finish mower, 6' box blade,
Aug 16, 2009
Durham Ontario Canada
One of my neighbor checked and called Kubota dealer and said, "while press down the clutch and check Propeller shaft and see if it could be stopped by hand. if it is so, it is okay". And I did and it stopped by hand. but question is Why is it constantly running even though clutch is disengaged~?

and when it stopped by hand, all those rattling noise stops too. So I checked parts manual (B7510DT) and there are 4 ball bearing in it on each end. Without taking a part, I put some grease into "Coupling ball outer (67111-13710)". and noise is down a bit.:D It has 447 engine hour on it now.

Another question is, if I could make some modification some how to make this propeller shaft to stop every time I depress the clutch~, Would it be okay to do so? Reason for that? I wanted to get rid of that gear grinding noise when I try to engage gears...:D

Any input will be appreciated. Thank you.

Joe.

Last edited:

Theekillerbee

Jun 28, 2009
Pleasant View UT, USA
Perhaps your Kubota dealer is also a hand surgeon that needs business! You should never, and I mean NEVER grab onto a PTO shaft while your tractor is running! If it would have been fully engaged it would have the ability to mangle your hand/arm in a very bad way.

joekimtkd

Equipment
B7510DT, 4' Snow blower, 4' Loader, 6' Blade, 6' 3PH Finish mower, 6' box blade,
Aug 16, 2009
Durham Ontario Canada
Of course, I wouldn't touch the PTO shaft. as you said my hand will be mangled Mango.:D

I have B7510DT tractor.
As you could see these two images, from Clutch shaft to Propeller shaft.
It look a like transfering power from the engine to transmission.

But, Why is it keep on turning even clutch is disengaged~???
and dealer said it is normal~?!

That Propeller shaft is the one could be stopped by hand after clutch is depress down.:cool:

Joe.

Attachments

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
Hi Joe. I figured that was what you meant. The shaft on my B72oo did that but you should be able to stop it real easy. If you hold the clutch in for 5 seconds can you put the tractor into gear without any grinding. And can you shift the pto in gear with no grinding. If you can then you have no problem. Your tractor is a standard transmission pushing the clutch in and trying to put in gear in 2 seconds may not work. Some one on here once said that with a standard transmission patience is a virtue. If it still grinds after 5 seconds then you may have to adjust the clutch. When you adjust the clutch you want the pedal to push just alittle bit farther it may not take much of an adjustment :D dusty

Last edited:

joekimtkd

Equipment
Aug 16, 2009
Durham Ontario Canada
I'll try those what you said tomorrow~ and will let you know.
but adjusting clutch pedal... I did. made pedal all the way down too but still same. but holding 5 second... I don't think I try that yet. and PTO engages without any noise, I think...:D
I'll test them tomorrow and I'll let you know.
Thank you. I'll see on Nov. 28th...

Joe.

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
Do you have a workshop manual for the tractor. It will show you how to set the clutch properly. If you can stop that shaft by hand then it isn't out by much. The clutch doesn't slip at all does it. dusty

joekimtkd

Equipment
Aug 16, 2009
Durham Ontario Canada
Yes, I do have Work shop manual. and I followed all the way.:D

Now, I did a few TEST today.

1. wait for 5 seconds, and 10 seconds, and more but propeller shaft is keep on turning and gear is still grinding when I try to engage the gear shift. and also PTO engaging grinds too. (While holding clutch pressed down)

2. Put a small piece of 2 x 4 under neith of the clutch pedal to hold clutch down and using vise grip to holding propeller shaft lightly and testing gear shifting and NO MORE GRINDING on gear shift and PTO engaging~~~!

3. But~ once PTO is engaged, propeller shaft completely stops all by itself every time I depress the clutch down. and NO MORE grinding on gear shift and PTO engaging.~~~!!!;)

So, I guess this tractor (B7510DT) is designed to using PTO all times.:cool:
If I use snow blower or finish mower, I don't have to worry about gear grinding but if I don't use them... I have to be careful on gear shifting, I guess~!:(

Dusty, if it wasn't for you, I would never found this far. So~ I thank you~!!!
I owe you a coffee and donut~~~:D
Oh~ if you know anyone sells used Box blade, Please let me know...

Joe.

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
Joe I still think the clutch is out of adjustment or worn out, but we need one of the real smart guys to chime in here because what you are describing isn't right. The tractor should not do that. Keep digging someone will have the answer. You don't owe a donut, maybe a coffee:):). I hope to see you on the 28th and I will keep an eye out for a box blade.What size do you want, it should be at least as wide as your back wheels. 54 or 60 inch maybe.:D Dusty

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Hi,
It would be better if the input shaft stopped alright but there really isn't much to stop it when your tractor is in neutral. If the clutch disc is at all draggy on the splines it will be enough to keep it turning a bent or heat damaged disc would also cause it. But if it is that easy to stop my guess is that it's the nature of the beast!. Some transmissions have a brake to prevent this, If you wanted to make one for yours it wouldn't hurt anything. could be as simple as a strap around the shaft that pulls tight when you push the clutch pedal.
Ed

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
Joe, Highway#6 Landscaping across the road from Quality homes on #6 south of Mount Forest had a box blade for $200.00 or $250.00. Don't know if it is still there but it is worth a call.:D Dusty

Ob1kubota

Equipment
M9540DT
Jul 26, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Of course, I wouldn't touch the PTO shaft. as you said my hand will be mangled Mango.:D

I have B7510DT tractor.
As you could see these two images, from Clutch shaft to Propeller shaft.
It look a like transfering power from the engine to transmission.

But, Why is it keep on turning even clutch is disengaged~???
and dealer said it is normal~?!

That Propeller shaft is the one could be stopped by hand after clutch is depress down.:cool:

Joe.
Hey mangled Mango :D show ole OB1 whats inby the clutch housing. Copy your WSM showing the Clutch disc please :)

joekimtkd

Equipment
Aug 16, 2009
Durham Ontario Canada
Dusty~~!

Could you get me a phone number or something?
I'll be down today after lunch to get it.
Thanks a million.

Joe.

joekimtkd

Equipment
Aug 16, 2009
Durham Ontario Canada
Ha ha ha~~~ I went there today. 'cause I couldn't wait for your post.;)
but they said it's been sold around 2 weeks ago. and what they have now there is regular scraper blade for $200.
Thank you again for everything though.

I'll get you coffee and donut on Nov. 28th.:D

Have you checked my youtube video yet? If you haven't, check it out.
You will see more stuff on Nov. 28th...:p

http://youtube.com/watch?v=u8y2Z84Xa6E

http://youtube.com/watch?v=QCqU13Ilciw&feature=related

Joe.

Ob1kubota

Equipment
M9540DT
Jul 26, 2009
Birmingham, AL
:p Joe after looking at those Utube videos OB1 afraid you come to ALABAMA and kick his A... if he tell you something wrong about you tractor. :rolleyes:

Take your clutch housing ispection plate off and look in there with a bright light and telescopic mirror or a bore scope if you can get one and look for two clutch plates. I suspect you have an live independent clutch problem and the only way to tell is to look in there for adjustment, wear, rust, etc...

:eek: ole Ob1 Wise saying, " never bring Tae-Kwon do to lightsaber fight " :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjCyZ2P9bCA

joekimtkd

Equipment
Aug 16, 2009
Durham Ontario Canada
I come in piece~~~!!!:D

Inspection plate is a small rubber cup on B7510DT. It is about 2 1/2" in diameter. and after open it, all I could see is wall of Fly wheel stuff.
I guess, I have to wait till my neighbor mechanic to come to check for me.

Thanks a million.

Oh~ I bought a 6' box blade yesterday, Dusty. Thank you again.

Joe.

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Hi Joe,
Your B7510dt doesn't have a live independent clutch. It doesn't have a live or independant pto either. all you will find in there is one clutch disc. It could be warped or sticking on the splines causing it to turn but I doubt it. I believe it is the nature of the beast because you can easily stop it with your hand. If the disc was warped or sticking it would not be easy to stop. Remember, there is not much turning in the transmission when it is in neutral and the pto is not engaged. It takes very little contact in the clutch to keep it turning. Expensive tractors and trucks have a transmission brake for exactly this purpose! Kubota didn't think it was necessary. You could build yourself a little transmission brake or just shift the transmission with the engine at idle and put up with the grind like all the other B7500 owners do.
Ed

joekimtkd

Equipment
Aug 16, 2009
Durham Ontario Canada
Ah~~~! my manual says it has single disk clutch~!
My neighbor mechanic called local Kubota dealer and he told me dealer said grinding gear is normal for my tractor~, but I didn't think it was right at all. :D

Once PTO is engaged with snow blower, propeller shaft completely stops with clutch depressed. but no PTO, it keep on turning and keep on grinding...:(

So, I might have to build something like "Transmission brake" like you said.
I was thinking to use leather belt or something to set on the clutch pedal and tighten up the propeller shaft upon the clutch depressing.

Is there anyone would have better idea on this matter?
Please, let me know. I will wait~~~~~~!!! and thank you~!

Joe.