Is cruise control worth having??

GonHuntin

Sep 6, 2012
NE Okla
Just took delivery on a new B3300su and was wondering if cruise control would be a worthwhile addition?? I don't mow any larger pastures, but I will be mowing about 3 miles of fire breaks.

Thanks!

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
All my tractors are gear trans machines. I can't imagine having to hold down a pedal all the time to make it go. I would think cruise would be a good option.

dmanlyr

Equipment
L3200, Hustler Super Z
May 30, 2012
Graham, WA
I would say absolutly.

While you are thinking of it on long runs, there is another use. And that is when moving dirt and using down pressure on the bucket (which reduces your steering with the wheels due to unloading) - without the cruise set you cannot take your foot off the HST pedal to control the individual brakes. (brakes used in this case as steering brakes)

I have found this very useful as I tend to use my L3200 very close to fixed and easily damaged items. Much like using the bucket as a garden spade rather than a hammer!

I hate to get off the equipment to move anything that can possibly be moved, hauled, pushed, carried or otherwise dealt with by the machine I am using.

David

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
Yep. I also have manual transmissions, but cannot imagine having to hold the gas pedal constant. My bet is you'll use it most of the time, and be glad to have it.
I hate the fact that my garden tractor has a hydrostatic, and every time I take my foot off the control I do a nosedive.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Yep, definitely worth it for me.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
To the fellas like me who have a gear tranny, do you guys not throttle up the rpms and let that guide you as "cruse control"?

Just about everything I do on my tractor I pull the hand throttle up and work the tractor that way. If I'm grading in a tight area up close to a house or building then I use my foot throttle.

Mystro

Aug 20, 2012
Central Pa.
It wasn't important to me and I have not found myself needing it. As long as your seat is adjusted correctly, the controls are easily operated and doesn't induce fatigue. Really depends on the terrain.

DanDan

Equipment
BX1860, L2600DT
Sep 21, 2012
SoCal
Just took delivery on a new B3300su and was wondering if cruise control would be a worthwhile addition?? I don't mow any larger pastures, but I will be mowing about 3 miles of fire breaks.
The good news is that "cruise control" is a dealer-installed option on the B3300SU (at least it is in my area) so your ship has may not have sailed on this yet.

The HST is brilliant for some kinds of work, but awful for ahead slow and steady.

I think you will probably want it.

helomech

Apr 15, 2011
East Texas
I would say absolutly.

While you are thinking of it on long runs, there is another use. And that is when moving dirt and using down pressure on the bucket (which reduces your steering with the wheels due to unloading) - without the cruise set you cannot take your foot off the HST pedal to control the individual brakes. (brakes used in this case as steering brakes)

I have found this very useful as I tend to use my L3200 very close to fixed and easily damaged items. Much like using the bucket as a garden spade rather than a hammer!

I hate to get off the equipment to move anything that can possibly be moved, hauled, pushed, carried or otherwise dealt with by the machine I am using.

David
My MX5100 cruise disengages when I hit the brakes. I just use my left foot to hit the pedal I need to brake. I am going to go outside and see if it disengages when only one pedal is pressed or if both have to be for it to disengage.

Disregard above. He is correct the cruise control DOES NOT disengage if only one of the brake pedal is pressed. It only disengages if both of them are pressed.

But yes I love the cruise control.

Last edited:

helomech

Apr 15, 2011
East Texas
but awful for ahead slow and steady.
HUH? How is this? I have the MX5100 HST 4wd and have not had any issue with using the hst in any position. Please explain, because I believe you are very mistaken. The HST can operate exactly like a gear tractor. I had a 50 hp gear tractor and this HST will operate circles around it. IMO the only reason not to have a HST is to save costs. If I was only cutting large open fields than i would buy a gear tractor only because it is cheaper not that it will do it better than the HST.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I have a rudimentary version on my B7100, and never use it.
I also don't find any issue with speed control on the HST, and it isn't fatiguing. I have and always will love a manual transmission, but I also appreciate my HST. They both have merits.

DanDan

Equipment
BX1860, L2600DT
Sep 21, 2012
SoCal
HUH? How is this? I have the MX5100 HST 4wd and have not had any issue with using the hst in any position. Please explain, because I believe you are very mistaken. The HST can operate exactly like a gear tractor. I had a 50 hp gear tractor and this HST will operate circles around it. IMO the only reason not to have a HST is to save costs. If I was only cutting large open fields than i would buy a gear tractor only because it is cheaper not that it will do it better than the HST.
Maybe my wording was too harsh... didn't mean to start an HST flame war, just offering an opinion.

That being said, the OP was asking about "cruise control" on a newly purchased HST tractor.
In my opinion, after 5 minutes of slow and steady straight ahead without cruisecontrol, he/she will still have a smile on his face.

After 10 minutes of the same, the toes will be tingling.

After 30 minutes, he/she will be begging somebody else to stand on the HST pedal:
"keep the pedal right here; not any faster-- and definitely not any slower".

(Smile on face may, or may not, remain at this point.)

Here is where the gear tranny shines, and where HST cruise control would be welcome.

FWIW, the wife will not use the HST tractor to groom the 1 acre pasture, but would gladly drive the gear tractor all day long doing the same to all of the other fields.

...The HST can operate exactly like a gear tractor...
Not without cruise control, which was my point.

Of course: different strokes for different folks; your mileage may vary.

Last edited:

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Maybe my wording was too harsh... didn't mean to start an HST flame war, just offering an opinion.

That being said, the OP was asking about "cruise control" on a newly purchased HST tractor.
In my opinion, after 5 minutes of slow and steady straight ahead without cruisecontrol, he/she will still have a smile on his face.

After 30 minutes, he/she will be begging somebody else to stand on the HST pedal:

Here is where the gear tranny shines, and where HST cruise control would be welcome.

FWIW, the wife will not use the HST tractor to groom the 1 acre pasture, but would gladly drive the gear tractor all day long doing the same to all of the other fields.

Perhaps you have a medical condition, like a pinched nerve or something. I use my HST for a couple of hours at a time mowing, and I don't get fatigue, I don't have tingling, and I don't beg someone to take over. It is fine. I don't use the cruise, either- my property is too rough for that. I mowed it for years on gear drive Wheelhorses, and while I would be happy with a gear drive tractor, I am also happy with my HST. I certainly don't find it to be inferior, just simply different.

Last edited:

DanDan

Equipment
BX1860, L2600DT
Sep 21, 2012
SoCal
Perhaps you have a medical condition
LOL

Maybe so; I appreciate your concern.

The OP said there are 3 miles of fire break to mow; at 3 miles/hour that is one full hour of keeping the foot on the pedal.

All I am saying is: if in that time he/she wants to do anything else with that foot, cruise control would be nice.

Affronts to my person aside, I think I have said all that I can about my opinion on the matter.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
DanDan, I tend to follow your thoughts on this issue. I've been thinking back to this past hay season and some of the 16 and 18 hr days in the field. I would hate to hold a pedal down for that length of time to make it go. I know my rear gets tired holding the seat down so I feel sure my feet would be the same. LOL :D

I guess that's why Kubota builds so many different models and offer the options they do.

Dune33

Equipment
L3800, 72 kk mower, 48" tiller, plastic mulch layer,
Jun 14, 2012
Wyoming, MN, USA
I have a L3800 i use the cruise for tilling and mowing, look at it this way it,s the chrapest option that the dealer can install, i would say it,s a must have.

helomech

Apr 15, 2011
East Texas

I would not want to mow long stretches without cruise control on my HST. But if I was just using the tractor for mowing I would probably buy a gear tractor, just to save cost ( I think the HST added about 4-5k). But for what I do the HST is a lifesaver. I got rid of my gear tractor because on these steep hills the gear tractor was just not safe. The brakes where not enough to hold the tractor on some of the inclines. And standing on the brakes while still heading down hill towards a deep creek is not fun. With the HST I can just let off the pedal and it stops, then I can hit the other pedal and just back up.

KenB2920

Equipment
L5240 brush hog,flail mower,wicked grapple,tiller,Danuser F-8 PHD,BB,RB 7' rake
Jun 17, 2011
Almont, mi
I don't use it often, but I am thankful I have it. It has definitely come in handy paying for itself

richie

Equipment
B6000, S850 tiller
Feb 13, 2013
Eufaula, Washington
I have had the chance to operate multiple different tractors with foot pedal HST, everything from lawn mowers to large tractors. Personally, I like to just hold the pedal down with my foot. I feel like I have more control over the tractor. Also, I have found with some tractors that when I engage CC at a certain speed and take my foot off the pedal, I lose some speed. This can be quite irritating when you get used to a certain speed mowing a big field.

I own a geared tractor and having it go without pushing a pedal doesn't bother me at all. I just expect it! but thats a whole different thread!:D

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
HST is the only way to go. GST is a PiA. Won't guy a clutch-shift-gear machine again.

CAUTION regarding "cruise control".

If operator's brain goes to sleep and you get in a bind that cruise control may get you dinged, hurt, or killed.

Even if it disengages when brakes are used (on one of mine) it won't instantly disengage, it's more like a long slow decrease-to-idle. The other of ours that has cruise won't disengage with braking (backhoe, made to hold RPMs).

If you tend to get lulled into fog-state when cutting circles bushhogging I predict you'll use it once too many times and wish you hadn't.

Personally, I rarely use any of the cruise controls on these tractors and in fact have the one that disengages upon braking cable-tied to prevent use. Just a little too spooky for me.

Regardless of your choice, just be careful.