Installing a block heater

Kingstrucking

Equipment
Kubota L35
Apr 5, 2021
Usa
I bought a block heater for my Kubota L35. Everything I've read say it should be installed on the left side of the tractor (exhaust side) where the freeze plug is at? It says you have to drill them out or knock them out? I'm afraid I'm going to mess something up. Is there any suggestions? Also I was going to put a lower antifreeze heater in the line if I can't get the block heater installed. Are those effective at all? If so what size is the lower radiator hose which I right below the exhaust and oil fill cap.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
First - you will need to bang that freeze plug out - sometimes easy - sometimes not! Once you start you are committed !!!!

The lower radiator hose is a little easier - pull the hose, that too can be a beeeaaauch - then decide WHERE to cut , you may need to cut twice to allow for the "TEE". You will need to do some digging to find the ID of the lower hose

this says it is 1.75"

Lower radiator heater

The lower is my opinion is easier and as far as effectiveness - it work perfectly, as the water is heated the hot water will try to rise up and semi circulate up in the block/head.

Kingstrucking

Equipment
Kubota L35
Apr 5, 2021
Usa
First - you will need to bang that freeze plug out - sometimes easy - sometimes not! Once you start you are committed !!!!

The lower radiator hose is a little easier - pull the hose, that too can be a beeeaaauch - then decide WHERE to cut , you may need to cut twice to allow for the "TEE". You will need to do some digging to find the ID of the lower hose

The lower is my opinion is easier and as far as effectiveness - it work perfectly, as the water is heated the hot water will try to rise up and semi circulate up in the block/head.
I agree the bottom hose is the best way to do it. The hose is so old I can't find a number on it . When you say bang out the freeze plug are we talking try to get behind the lip of it with a screw driver that way or is there a different way? One Kubota dealer said I have to drill it out completely. I thought they were rubber or plastic but I haven't checked mine?

Fido Farms

Equipment
L3901, 35 Massey, Summit X 146, Polaris 700 RMK, Yamaha Viking
May 27, 2018
Canada
Easiest way for a block heater install is a silicone stick on oil pan heater. Search besco pads. There are different brands available. low power consumption, easy install most of the time and your oil is warm.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
BE VERY CAREFUL WITH A DRILL!

There was a horror story either at TBN or OTT not too long ago (Couple years maybe), where a guy tried doing that with a freeze plug, to install a block heater, and ended up drilling a hole through a cylinder wall, requiring a new block and essentially a total engine rebuild.

Very expensive and sad experience on his part!

Edit: I think what may have happened was he drilled through the plug so easily, that he did not realize it, and kept drilling thinking he was drilling the plug, but was really drilling into a cylinder wall, or something like that...yes it can happen...

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I agree the bottom hose is the best way to do it. The hose is so old I can't find a number on it . When you say bang out the freeze plug are we talking try to get behind the lip of it with a screw driver that way or is there a different way? One Kubota dealer said I have to drill it out completely. I thought they were rubber or plastic but I haven't checked mine?

Typically you drill a hole insert a bent L into the hole and pull out the freeze plug - I would not want to drive around the hole with a screwdriver - you could score the hole itself.

As for heating the oil pan - better than nothing, but think about this, a good oil will flow perfectly in the cold, and once that "hot" oil hits the cool block and other cold parts it will loose the heat until the part get hot. OIL pan heaters were great when oil didnt flow well cold - now you want to heat the block/head and the water passages.

think of it this way - place your feet in warm shoes feels good - placing an inline blood heater would feel even better on a cold day!

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
given the choices, a lower rad hose heater would be the easiest to safely install AND if need be uninstall. Only need a short section of pipe to replace the heater.
It'd be a real PITA to remove the freeze plug to find out your block heater is the wrong size, saturday night, on a holiday weekend and 14" of snow IS falling......

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
You use a 17mm hex bit socket to remove the threaded in freeze plug on the left side of the block. No drilling required.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
given the choices, a lower rad hose heater would be the easiest to safely install AND if need be uninstall. Only need a short section of pipe to replace the heater.
It'd be a real PITA to remove the freeze plug to find out your block heater is the wrong size, saturday night, on a holiday weekend and 14" of snow IS falling......
could not have said it any better ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
On my old B7510 it was drivers side.
I used the Kubota block heater part # 70000-73274 It is the same thread as the freeze plug.
When my LX2610 comes in a couple of weeks I plan on putting one in it. Not hard to do and cold starts on a frigid day are the hardest thing you can do to a motor....

Orange1forme

Equipment
B2650 HSDC, filled tires, wheel spacers, B2728B , LA534A FEL, 3rd valve kit
Dec 1, 2018
Wa
You use a 17mm hex bit socket to remove the threaded in freeze plug on the left side of the block. No drilling required.
While this is correct for your tractor, the OP's may not be threaded!!!!
Many freeze plugs are/were pressure fit and blew out as a safety.

If it is threaded, like my 2650, it is a piece of cake!!!!

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
My old BX22 was a threaded block heater, and it was a piece of cake to install. This past spring, I installed the block heater in my BX23S, and it was as simple as tapping the bottom edge of the freeze plug to dislodge it, and it wound up at a 45-degree angle at the top. Grabbed it with a pair of pliers, and pulled it out. Installed the block heater according to the instructions, and refilled the radiator, after I hooked up the hoses for the cab heater. Just make sure that you secure the excess wiring for the block heater, so it isn't dragging on the ground. Took a while for all the air to work its way out of the block and hoses.

jkrez

Equipment
Gr2120, LX3310, bh77 hoe, 64 inch commercial snow blower, landpride pallet forks
Apr 16, 2021
Berks County PA
I used to rebuild starters and generators. The bike tractor trailer starters had plugs up at the solenoid linkage. I used to use a center punch to put a hole in it and it would also concave the plug making it smaller in the hole. You could then easily pop it out with the punch with leverage.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Also I was going to put a lower antifreeze heater in the line if I can't get the block heater installed. Are those effective at all?
They are very effective when installed in the lower hose.

Kingstrucking

Equipment
Kubota L35
Apr 5, 2021
Usa
Welp block heater is installed! I was a little nervous so after a cold beer I took the air hammer (watched a guy do it on YouTube) and gently pushed on a corner of the freeze plug. It came right out. I did notice a lot of rust when I pulled the freeze plug. The block heater I got I had to tap in the fitting then thread in the block heater itself..way easier then I thought. I plugged in it and after a 4 days of sitting in 20 degree weather it started better then in the summer!

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Welp block heater is installed! I was a little nervous so after a cold beer I took the air hammer (watched a guy do it on YouTube) and gently pushed on a corner of the freeze plug. It came right out. I did notice a lot of rust when I pulled the freeze plug. The block heater I got I had to tap in the fitting then thread in the block heater itself..way easier then I thought. I plugged in it and after a 4 days of sitting in 20 degree weather it started better then in the summer!
Amazing how we get worried about something that should be simple.

I had block heaters installed in my tractors before delivery. But can understand the worry if one needs to do it later.

Glad it worked out fine for you...and for the next guy that reads this tread and is worried... (y)

D

Deleted member 47704

If buying a new tractor have the dealer put it in. That was the first thing I told the sales guy to add.They loaded the rear tires with rim guard and installed the block heater for $150.

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
If buying a new tractor have the dealer put it in. That was the first thing I told the sales guy to add.They loaded the rear tires with rim guard and installed the block heater for $150.
Sounds like a pretty good deal to me...

D

Deleted member 47704

Sounds like a pretty good deal to me...
I was happy. The block heater alone is around $65.
I bought a Land Pride RB1572 , they delivered it for $50.They had a tractor going to another part of town so put my blade on the truck and dropped it off. 25 mile trip one way.