Implement Attaching Tips?

yzinger

Feb 5, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
Hey guys, you might have seen a thread I started earlier speaking about "do i want a snowblower". Well, I have decided yes and it will be delivered this week.

Got me to thinking - what is everyones method to attaching tools to the 3pth?

For instance, I have a bitch of time each time I hook up rotary cutter, not so much with the rear blade as I can lift it side to side etc...

Also, might just be a fun thread.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Some of the ideas in the past are to put the implement on a wheeled dolly that you can position to the tractor instead of trying to line up the tractor and then fighting the implement. Good idea if you have paved surfaces. I have rocks and mud, mostly mud this time of year. I went with a quick hitch and for my brush hog and box blade. For me it works pretty good. Another option is Pat's Quick Hitch. Had I know about Pat's prior to buying the quick hitch from Harbor Freight, I would have gone that route.

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
I've got the adjustable telescoping arms and really haven't had any issues lining things up at all. If I had several 3pt implements a quick hitch might be handy, but I only switch between the box blade and the backhoe. Of course no matter what you use, after you do it a hundred times or so it will get much easier.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
On things that are heavy - placing even a 2x4/concrete block under certain places will allow the "movement" to be better handled.

I too have faced the almost impossible task of hooking up the 5' rotary cutter ......and invented new cuss words!

rule 1 - place on very level ground!

rule 2 - place tractor in neutral ! Why? you can grab a rear wheel and push/pull a couple of inches when needed!

rule 3 - place implement on something that allowing "it" to move somewhat - a dolly is a great idea, but even something that allows a sliding motion will be huge!

IF you have the $ a quick hitch is a great tool! Still requires a good backing up to get everything correctly lined up.;)

yzinger

Feb 5, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
Good stuff guys. Keep it coming.

I plan to make a pad this spring to set my implements on. I already have one right behind garage but it no longer big enough. I have a box blade, rear blade, bush hog, and now snowblower as well as backhoe.

Unit is a MKM 54" - 5 blade rotor - single auger - 366lbs.

Anyways, any folks from Nova Scotia dont worry about snow now - i just bought a blower, I am sure it wont storm now ;)

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
rule 2 - place tractor in neutral ! Why? you can grab a rear wheel and push/pull a couple of inches when needed!
I would add "carefully" to that statement.
Saw a guy preparing to hook up a box scraper to a JD and decided to watch to see if I could pick up some tips. He had the tractor in neutral and had just rolled it a couple inches, then turned to the box scraper, when the tractor started rolling away. It all happened slowly, so no harm done, but the incident stuck in my mind. I guess it wasn't quite as level as he thought.

The other things I could add is to have a long "J" bar handy. Sometimes it's easier to "walk" an implement over a couple inches with a big lever than it is to re-position the tractor.
Dead blow hammer works wonders when one of those pins is almost lined up.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Park your implements on wooden pallets. It's easier to take the implements on/off when they are a little higher off the ground. It also makes moving the implements around and storage easier if you are using forks.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
All great ideas.

My only thought is if you may go the route of Pat's or a QH, consider that when measuring your PTO shaft(s). They will add 3 or 4" to the length needed on the PTO shaft.

PTO's are easy to make shorter, but stretching them is more challenging.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA

thats why rule 1 is .................rule one!;):)

JeepinMaxx

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2660, LA243 FEL, RCK54P-23BX MMM, BX2751 QH Subframe, BX2750D 50" Blower
Mar 27, 2018
Columbia, CT
I was using the pallet method, but ended up going with a HF quick hitch ($79 with coupon). I still store implements on pallets, because the arms on my carryall work like forks when I need to move them around!

jms

Equipment
MX5200, BX2660, ZD221
May 22, 2018
Zumbro Falls, MN
I have both a quick attach (BX) and the telescoping arms (MX).

I try to keep the implement on a pallet or blocks, makes it easier to attach and keeps it out of the water and mud.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ

thats why rule 1 is .................rule one!;):)
Amen brother!

bambam31

Equipment
L3800HST 4x4,R1,FEL, 6'disc, 5'bush hog,piranhaTB,6'grader,6'rake, 48"forks
Apr 3, 2014
Mobile, AL
I have telescoping arms and that has been a tremendous help. I also use a pry bar to get an implement lined up as opposed to moving the tractor. I am seriously considering a QH.

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
I have the telescoping lower arms, which makes life easy.
Someday I will build a barn over an existing 25’ x 30’ slab, with implements on dollies. I currently keep my winter plows on dollies in a cargo box.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Easiest way I found was to get one of the kids do it :D

Jefferson

Equipment
L3200 fel, Bx 2380 fel,60"deck,50"fm snowblower,50"tiller, Brush hog
Oct 14, 2011
West Michigan, USA
Not 3pt but I found it much easier to install mower deck and front snow blower with the front wheels of my Bx 1500 sitting on a 2 x 4.This helped with clearance on mower deck gear box and also allowed me drop the blower down lower to attach stub shaft on quick attachment.

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
Something that works for me.
When I back the tractor an implement into a spot where I want to leave it, I set it down then place a couple of bricks on each side of the rear tire, then disconnect the implement. When I want to hook it up again I just back the tractor back into the spot between the wheels. If it came off there it will go back on there.
And level ground is a given no matter what you are using. If not level at least the tractor and implement should be on the same plane.