I was dumb. Now Kubota wants me to 'pay for it'.

HerbP

May 27, 2017
Calgary, AB, Canada
My GF1800 is only 2WD. A small patch of my yard is a steep-ish hill so I can only mow in the downhill direction. When going back uphill, I raise the deck to get more weight on the drive tires. Yesterday, one of the front casters on my RC60 fell off as I raised the deck and then gleefully bounced under the deck. Of course, the PTO was still active so loud noises ensued.

Guess how much for a replacement? $230 CAD at the local orange dealer.

None of my local stores have an equivalent. For now I've cobbled something together with an old wheelchair tire and will have to get underneath the deck to see what the damage is under there.

PXL_20220608_194617873.jpg

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I'm confused.

You break your equipment and you are surprised that you have to pay for the replacement part?

Also, you acted surprise that the price is on the high end, guess you haven't watched the news about the whole supply chain/post-pandemic and inflation cost increase that is currently going on for EVERYTHING.

Reactions: 8 users

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I spent over 3 decades working at a dealer, now at a different dealer-non kubota. In that time I saw all sorts of things and I noticed all kinds of things. Sometimes accidents just happen and there wasn't a way around it. Other times, not so much. I remember one time testing a customer's ZD331 with a 72" and while mowing I raised the deck and as I began to raise, I noticed the lynch pin missing off of the LF deck wheel. I immediately stopped and headed back to the shop & installed a new pin and then went on my way. Had I not been paying attention, I'd have ended up like your situation, eating the cost of a new wheel assembly.

Something has to hold the wheel from coming out. I may be wrong since it's been years since I've messed with a GF series, but the retaining mechanism that holds that wheel in is easily visible from the operator's seat. I guess you didn't see it missing? Maybe it come out during operation?

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
2/10 rant score, agree with above.
is the rim steel? pound it back. Us Jeep guys have done that for trail fixes many times. Not like it needs to be balanced for highway driving.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Agree with PaulR. Steel rim, solid tire, I would take my frustrations out and beat it back as straight as I could. If that top post of the wheel is bent as well, apply some heat and beat it back in to shape. A bit of orange paint to prevent rust and you will be releasing your inner Carl Spangler in no time. I would be more concerned if I damaged any of the underside on that deck. Check the blades for damage and balance. Make sure you didn’t bend or compromise a spindle or spindle seal. I bought a set of blades for my RC60 last fall and they were only $60 USD from the dealer.

Reactions: 1 user

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I'm confused.

You break your equipment and you are surprised that you have to pay for the replacement part?

Also, you acted surprise that the price is on the high end, guess you haven't watched the news about the whole supply chain/post-pandemic and inflation cost increase that is currently going on for EVERYTHING.
I think this is case of lost in translation. I don't think @HerbP is complaining that much, just making a couple of observations.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
2/10 rant score, agree with above.
is the rim steel? pound it back. Us Jeep guys have done that for trail fixes many times. Not like it needs to be balanced for highway driving.
Agreed!
Maybe, even a little heat, and then careful reshaping with a large ball pean hammer.
This is a very low speed wheel assembly.
It does not need to be perfect!

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
Agree with PaulR. Steel rim, solid tire, I would take my frustrations out and beat it back as straight as I could. If that top post of the wheel is bent as well, apply some heat and beat it back in to shape. A bit of orange paint to prevent rust and you will be releasing your inner Carl Spangler in no time. I would be more concerned if I damaged any of the underside on that deck. Check the blades for damage and balance. Make sure you didn’t bend or compromise a spindle or spindle seal. I bought a set of blades for my RC60 last fall and they were only $60 USD from the dealer.
This for sure!

I would definitely raise that deck first and make sure there isn't one twisted! I'd be surprised if there isn't some damage..
Good luck OP

HerbP

May 27, 2017
Calgary, AB, Canada
I'm confused.

I think you misunderstand the point of my post. Yeah, I screwed up (by not checking my pins were secure I guess) and fully intended to have to pay for replacement parts. A non-Kubota replacement online seems to be in-stock and ships from the US for $44.00 but I figured I'll buy local because having parts available locally does have some value to me. But that's quite the delta.

But hey, thanks for your thoughts.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
I'm confused.

you ought to hear the F150/super duty owners when they rip the $1500 side mirrors off their trucks backing out of the garage 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users

Bugzilla46310

Equipment
2022 BX2680 198? AC 916H
May 22, 2022
Demotte, IN
Harbor Freight or Surplus Center
8 in. Solid Rubber Tire with Steel Hub

HAUL-MASTER
8 In. Solid Rubber Tire With Steel Hub

(869)Write a Review
Replacement tire for carts, hand trucks and more

$799

Compare to
MARTIN WHEEL ZP182RT-2C2 at $19.99 Save 60%
Compare to
MARTIN WHEEL ZP182RT-2C2
$19.99Save
60%

Add to Cart
+ Add to My List

CHECK INVENTORY FOR THIS PRODUCT AT A STORE NEAR YOU

Reactions: 1 users

19thSF

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, loader, MMM, pallet forks, tooth bar, rear blade, JD 318 w/plow, JD X350
Mar 1, 2020
Glendale, Rhode Island
My GF1800 is only 2WD. A small patch of my yard is a steep-ish hill so I can only mow in the downhill direction. When going back uphill, I raise the deck to get more weight on the drive tires. Yesterday, one of the front casters on my RC60 fell off as I raised the deck and then gleefully bounced under the deck. Of course, the PTO was still active so loud noises ensued.

None of my local stores have an equivalent. For now I've cobbled something together with an old wheelchair tire and will have to get underneath the deck to see what the damage is under there.

View attachment 81582
The tires and rim are easy to find. Bearing bore is an issue and would have to match. Try this E-Bay link.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
what's the axle size ?? You can probably change the bearings in the PA wheel. I've done that with 'oddball' wheelbarrows..

radas

Equipment
2022 LX2610HST, 3rd Function, Rear Remotes, BH77
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
you ought to hear the F150/super duty owners when they rip the $1500 side mirrors off their trucks backing out of the garage 🤣
These are the same ones shelling out $11k for a full Carli pintop without breaking a sweat? 😂

• Haha

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca

View attachment 81582
I think it's class action lawsuit time. I did the same thing with my landpride mower. It cost me a new tire and inner tube and some spacer bushings I lost. My rim was ok. Needed new blades after.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
yeah, lawsuit against those that insist on abusing equipment by NOT using within the limits of the equipment.....

re: a steep-ish hill so I can only mow in the downhill direction.

sounds like the user didn't read what the allowable 'entry/exit' angles are...

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
HerbP….. WELCOME to the OTT Forums! Don’t let the self-appointed rant-critics who never think they’ll screw up discourage you from participating! They’re not always that unwelcoming to a new guy.…sometimes a little morning coffee turns them into nice guys again.

I agree with you…whenever possible…buy LOCAL. When that isn’t possible, Messicks is a great supplier of Kubota items and well-worth the shipping troubles for their follow-up/support.

I backed into a fence with my new finish-mower and bent an almost identical part. I managed to hammer and bend it back into shape for temporary use with a shop hyd-press. The mfr’r did send me a replacement part and yes, it wasn’t cheap…. But I learn lessons Best when I have to Pay for them. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 3 users