I was dumb. Now Kubota wants me to 'pay for it'.

HerbP

May 27, 2017
Calgary, AB, Canada
re: a steep-ish hill so I can only mow in the downhill direction.

sounds like the user didn't read what the allowable 'entry/exit' angles are...
I guess maybe re-read what I wrote. I said I raise the deck to get more weight on the front wheels; not because of 'entry/exit' angles.

Tough crowd. Guess I'll just keep to myself.

HerbP

May 27, 2017
Calgary, AB, Canada
I think it's class action lawsuit time. I did the same thing with my landpride mower. It cost me a new tire and inner tube and some spacer bushings I lost. My rim was ok. Needed new blades after.
I found the cotter pin that was securing the pin on the front wheel. It was clipped to the deer fence that I mowed up against not 10 minutes prior to the wheel falling off and enjoying a game of pinball under the deck.

bbxlr8

Equipment
L2501 w/R14s, LA525, BH77, SGC0660, CL 5' BB, CL PHD, WG24 + Ford 1210 60" mmm,
Mar 29, 2021
Eastern PA
SO... After moving to PA on a ridge with lots of stone & obstacles, my previously pristine 25 y/o 60mmm on my F@rd goes through these after 12 years here. It is just a matter of time even with permanent Loctite & grade 8 bolts no matter how careful I try to be. Now I make checking them part of my pre-cut routine.

After looking @ obsolete or insane expensive replacements I found a current NH shaft and mount the 5 1/4 inch solid metal replacement castor wheels from TSC. FWIW They work great & are super durable. There is a solid one similar to the one above from HF but they can't take the abuse the TSC can... IF I have an issue, no big deal.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I was under the impression the castorwheel 'dug into' the hill trying to go up it..course english is a funny language...so I probably misread how the wheel got 'modified'.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I think you misunderstand the point of my post. Yeah, I screwed up (by not checking my pins were secure I guess) and fully intended to have to pay for replacement parts. A non-Kubota replacement online seems to be in-stock and ships from the US for $44.00 but I figured I'll buy local because having parts available locally does have some value to me. But that's quite the delta.

But hey, thanks for your thoughts.
Kubota parts are expensive, it a Kubota not a Chinese knock off.
I tell people when you start bolting on aftermarket Chinese parts you instantly lower the quality and value of the unit.

And for all these point to solid tires, those are not solid tires!

Reactions: 1 user

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I found the cotter pin that was securing the pin on the front wheel. It was clipped to the deer fence that I mowed up against not 10 minutes prior to the wheel falling off and enjoying a game of pinball under the deck.
I've gone to the snap ring pins because they seem to hang on better than the PTO style pins that came with the deck. I seem to lose pins cutting near evergreens with low hanging branches. If I'm not paying attention I tend to lose a wheel when I am raising the deck or when the deck lifts cresting hills.

I've used cotter pins but find they are softer and tend to fatigue break and I lose them too.

HerbP

May 27, 2017
Calgary, AB, Canada
Kubota parts are expensive, it a Kubota not a Chinese knock off.
I tell people when you start bolting on aftermarket Chinese parts you instantly lower the quality and value of the unit.

And for all these point to solid tires, those are not solid tires!
Ironically, the tires on the deck are made by "Cheng Shin Tire". https://photos.app.goo.gl/nsrf9pvtgnxqrMmYA Does Kubota even make tires?

Though since I bought the tractor used, I have no idea what the history is. And obviously the tire wasn't responsible for what happened. But the mower only had 210 hours on it when I bought it so they're probably original.

I do get your point though.

captmikem

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2660 MX 4800 and a bunch of attachments.
Mar 16, 2017
SW Washington State.
what's the axle size ?? You can probably change the bearings in the PA wheel. I've done that with 'oddball' wheelbarrows..
I broke the tailwheel on my plane with a hard landing in Kansas one time at a very small airport. Got a ride into the local hardware store and bought a wheelbarrow tire and wheel for about 20 bucks. worked fine and got me home Washington State.

Works on a plane, ought to work on a brush hog.

M

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
It’s pretty easy to tear stuff up when pins fall out or stuff comes loose while operating; and it’s not always lack of maintenance or negligent operation. A good pre-trip, paying attention while operating, and walk around after breaks all help but sometimes stuff just happens.

Last weekend after about an hour of grapple work I was sticking the front of the tractor into some low limbs to reposition and retrieve a half buried chunk of scrap concrete. As I started to lower the grapple I noticed the stand leg on the right side was hanging down almost touching the ground. If I hadn’t noticed it and kept lowering the boom, most likely I would have bent it badly. The hair pin that holds it in place had to have been in place when I started or it would have been hanging the whole time and damaged long before, so the pre-trip wasn’t the problem. It obviously got pulled out going through the limbs. I had a spare in the toolbox so not a big deal but could have been but for dumb luck seeing it.

Shortly after getting the Kubota took a picture of it on its first run with my Dad’s old brush hog so he could see what was going on with the property while he was away in rehab. Didn’t notice it before, but when I checked the picture before sending, I saw the toplink pin on the brush hog end was totally missing.
2AED42A8-E706-4F90-B91D-EE971A774154.jpeg
I had to lift it to transport to the field so I know it was there when I started. Again, a spare from the toolbox solved the problem and no real harm but more by luck than skill. I retook the pic after replacing the pin and sent him the pic with the pin in place.