I need a safety officer to see if this is rebuildable

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
They are like most forums. You can get a lot of good, practical information from most members is some area of farming, but there are always some who ARE full of BS. As usual, they're easy to spot!
Is that because they like to brag about their 2 bulls being bigger?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Just rented a JLG Straight boom 65' man lift the other weekend to top some trees near my house. It was the 2nd time I had rented it. Really like this machine. Can do some real damage on the property with it, and create a BIG mess on the ground that I get to clean up wonce the Man lift goes back to the rental company. Cost about $425 to rent it for the weekend with 8 hours of use time. Every hour beyond 8 adds more cost. I never go over 8 hours cuase you can create a huge mess well before 8 hours.
When I lived in AZ, I had a huge (for phoenix) Pine tree on my property, used a boom lift to decorate it every year for x-mas, 22,000 lights on strings and 200 lights on a star.
I owned a big construction company at that time and the rental companies would just send one over for me to use for a weekend.
The last year I decorated the tree, it had grown to 85 feet and the 90 foot boom lift they sent over just barely reached the top.
And if you've never been up 90 feet in a boom lift, it will put a pucker in your backside, big time!

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
When I lived in AZ, I had a huge (for phoenix) Pine tree on my property, used a boom lift to decorate it every year for x-mas, 22,000 lights on strings and 200 lights on a star.
I owned a big construction company at that time and the rental companies would just send one over for me to use for a weekend.
The last year I decorated the tree, it had grown to 85 feet and the 90 foot boom lift they sent over just barely reached the top.
And if you've never been up 90 feet in a boom lift, it will put a pucker in your backside, big time!
Oh you dont have to tell me NIH. Heights is one thing I have a natural fear of. Im ok up 20-30 feet but once I get above that I start to get squeamish. I had to max out the 65 foot lift to top this pine tree that had died just 15 feet from the house. Just the thought of having to do this had made me nervous the whole week leading up to the day of the job. I just took it slow and worked my way up, tried to focus on what I was doing instead of looking down. Even at 65 feet I wasnt really at the top so I was so nervous cutting it, just afraid it could fall back onto the bucket. I cut my wedge and back cut it really high and cut down into the wedge and thankfully got the top to fall right where I wanted it. I do not like going 65 Feet and hanging out the bucket with a chainsaw or pole saw. While consciously I know nothing too bad can really happen, just lots of morbid thoughts start to go through the mind at that height lol. I would add that I did go out and buy a safety harness and everything for this job. The first time I rented I didnt have any harness on at all. I never went the full 65 feet up though. The safety harness did give me some peace of mind.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas

We got one in the company that goes to 165' if I remember correctly :eek: A tech went up in it to the full height and took a video and posted it on the company facebook site.

I'll pass. Just the sway alone is not for the faint of heart. I would probably be glued to the floor and have to have someone use the ground controls to bring me down. That's one unit that only gets used on a very calm day.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Guy down the road has a Sky Ranger manlift, I think it goes to 75 feet. I was asked one time if I wanted to go up in it, I passed. Far as I'm concerned that takes balls of steel. Mine aren't.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Len, yes it can be repaired. As long as the frame isn't tweaked, the rest can be replaced.

Looking at the picture, it looks like the deck is toast, but the rest seems to still be decent.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
My last certification at the Phoenix Fire Academy was complete when the Battalion Chief running the training said he had a voluntary exercise for us if we were up for it. They brought in an aerial and ran the ladder up to it's max height, 115ft. Unsupported. I was the only one who went up, (wearing full turnout gear) and it was probably the scariest thing I ever did. I'm told the bounce was about 6 feet, but it felt like 20 feet. When I got down, they gave me my aerial certification, a pair of pink tennis balls.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Did you ever try the Cathedral Raise?

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Could you please explain?
Raise a 65' Bangor ladder vertically, with 4 guy ropes held by other firefighters and the base held in place by 2 more. Climb the ladder (bringing along a rope so you can haul up tools as needed) and swing one leg over the top so you are straddling the top rung and can work over your head with both hands.

Used for accessing ceilings inside tall buildings, such as cathedrals.

Not as tall as an aerial ladder, but you really, really, REALLY have to trust the other guys on your crew... ;)

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Nope, can't say that would be fun.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Did you ever try the Cathedral Raise?
Nope, saw it demonstrated with a 40ft ladder, but a 65ft would be twice as scary. Like you say, that is trust in your fellow firefighters.

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
They had this one when the city decided to remove the old water standpipe a few years ago. It was painted with lead paint way back when, and removing the paint and repainting it was two or three times as much as removing it. Looks to me they were around 150' high. Two guys in the basket with a torch, cutting it into sections for the crane to take down.

Made my sphincter tingle just watching them sway around up there.

Attachments