Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I should start splitting some wood tomorrow,,, I only need 5 more cords

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
M4500, New Idea Cut-Ditioner, JD 14T Baler, IH "Plow Chief" plows, Oliver Rake
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
We've had a shelled corn stove for 30 years. Grew up splitting wood and feel your pain. Sure is alot easier to just go get a couple buckets of corn.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
I really miss my place and the wood stove however splitting wood was never high on my list, good luck my friend.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I put a wood stove in our cottage last year.

I love that thing.

The whole wood cutting/splitting thing for me is therapeutic in some respects.

Probably because the place has an LP furnace, so if I get lazy, I just turn up the thermostat. LOL

Now wood storage is quite another issue........Still working on that.

I think I am going to add a "lean to" to the pole barn to store the IBC toes of wood.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
5 cords is a heckuva LOT of wood to split !! I do NOT miss the cutting,splitting,stacking.Today I just be the 'lever lad' for the neigbour.he loads splitter,I handle the lever.
FWIW, turn the IBC totes on their side,then fill so you CAN get to ALL of the wood easily.

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
I enjoy cutting / splitting wood... but of course I do it ahead of time... I like to be 1 season ahead.

I use a 31 ton Huskee (tractor supply) splitter.... will handle about anything.

I sit down on my 5 gallon bucket and get to work.... They get thrown onto a 16' hay conveyor I converted for wood.... pile it up. sometimes I'll stack it... sometimes I leave it in piles..

not much difference in drying time I've found.... if it's covered from rain.

anyway, I'm thinking about buying one of these Electric Kinetic splitters..... they are small but pack a punch....

for kindling or smaller pieces

they can be dangerous though if they don't have a 2 hand operation /safety lever......

which I would probably disable.... :ROFLMAO::LOL:

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
5 cords is a heckuva LOT of wood to split !! I do NOT miss the cutting,splitting,stacking.Today I just be the 'lever lad' for the neigbour.he loads splitter,I handle the lever.
FWIW, turn the IBC totes on their side,then fill so you CAN get to ALL of the wood easily.
Thanks, but I cut a "hole" in them so I can access the wood, and yet still move them around with the forks.

My biggest problem is the 'aesthetics" of the whole thing.

I despise the look of tarps (especially those ugly ass blue ones).

I currently have old pallets that I wrapped in "camo tarps" from HF covering them, but that is not much better than just a tarp.

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
My biggest problem is the 'aesthetics" of the whole thing.

I despise the look of tarps (especially those ugly ass blue ones).

I currently have old pallets that I wrapped in "camo tarps" from HF covering them, but that is not much better than just a tarp.
Keep your eyes peeled on the freeway for a flatbed tarp roll.
They fall off the trucks all the time when new breed steering wheel holders forget to strap them down.

They make great heavy duty wood covers.... not quite leather... but pretty close.

black color keeps the mice and snakes nice and warm....

PS
It takes 2 men and a boy to pick them up .... but they cut easy when you get home....

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Keep your eyes peeled on the freeway for a flatbed tarp roll.
They fall off the trucks all the time when new breed steering wheel holders forget to strap them down.

They make great heavy duty wood covers.... not quite leather... but pretty close.

black color keeps the mice and snakes nice and warm....

PS
It takes 2 men and a boy to pick them up .... but they cut easy when you get home....
I was going to ask, do you go down the highway frequently towing forklift on a skidsteer?

• Haha

fatjay

Equipment
Kubota B8200, B7200, ZD21
Nov 12, 2016
Eastern PA, USA
I like splitting wood, I don't like cutting wood. I'll split wood all day, it's a great workout, but cutting wood i have to deal with the saw cutting out, or the blades getting dull, or mixing up more 2cycle gas.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Ever since I found out I don't have much between L3-L4-L5(mc accident 5 decades ago), I try not to bend into the wrong positions. Had to give up the 'fresh air exercise', can't parachute or jump off short buildings with a single bound......

Hkb82

Equipment
M7060, Ford 5600, can-am defender
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
I have a love/hate relationship with cutting and splitting fire wood. I enjoy doing it when I’m ahead but hate doing it when I’m behind. I cut and split a crap load each year.

Reactions: 1 users

Heehaw

Equipment
MX5400hst Kubota Z726X
Oct 4, 2022
Michigan
We go through about 10 cord a year.
Luckily we have an OWB so very little has to be split. If I can lift it and it fits through the door, in it goes.

Reactions: 1 users

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
I enjoy cutting / splitting wood... but of course I do it ahead of time... I like to be 1 season ahead.

I use a 31 ton Huskee (tractor supply) splitter.... will handle about anything.

I sit down on my 5 gallon bucket and get to work.... They get thrown onto a 16' hay conveyor I converted for wood.... pile it up. sometimes I'll stack it... sometimes I leave it in piles..

not much difference in drying time I've found.... if it's covered from rain.

anyway, I'm thinking about buying one of these Electric Kinetic splitters..... they are small but pack a punch....

for kindling or smaller pieces

they can be dangerous though if they don't have a 2 hand operation /safety lever......

which I would probably disable.... :ROFLMAO::LOL:

Interesting concept, the electric kinetic splitter. I’ve seen gas powered kinetic splinters before, custom made.

The one in the video doesn’t look like it’s a 5-10 year piece of equipment. Maybe 5-10 cords? The electric motor and commentary in the video were equally bothersome. But hearing protection would take care of both.

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
Interesting concept, the electric kinetic splitter. I’ve seen gas powered kinetic splinters before, custom made.

The one in the video doesn’t look like it’s a 5-10 year piece of equipment. Maybe 5-10 cords? The electric motor and commentary in the video were equally bothersome. But hearing protection would take care of both.
Yeah I was gonna give warning about her over-enthusiasm.... She obviously hasn't had much excitement in her life...

I've seen some pretty good size Kinectic splitters

super splitter has been making them for years...

I wouldn't mind finding an older one...

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Yeah I was gonna give warning about her over-enthusiasm.... She obviously hasn't had much excitement in her life...

I've seen some pretty good size Kinectic splitters

super splitter has been making them for years...

I wouldn't mind finding an older one...

Interesting. The unit I’m thinking of was, at least in part, designed by Mark Havel of Havel Design in Oregon. He designed a number of the products LogRite sells. I think Mark worked with another company in Oregon also called SuperSplit (but not the same company in your most recent link) to develop a firewood processor that was a kinetic unit that used a high speed flywheel. This would have been circa 2010 or so. Sadly, in refreshing my recollection on this topic, I found out that Mark passed away in the summer of 2023. He was a really decent person and a heck of an engineer.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I try not to bend into the wrong positions.
Ever since I contracted Done-Lap's disease, I use one of these to reduce bending over.

Gotta be careful not to "bury it" in your shin though.😧

1709029647630.png

• Haha

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
We go through about 10 cord a year.
Luckily we have an OWB so very little has to be split. If I can lift it and it fits through the door, in it goes.

My neighbor has one of those. It works pretty good, but the demons in my head voted to get an inside stove that doesn't rely on electricity. (for when the EMP hits....and remember......it will🤫)

Heehaw

Equipment
MX5400hst Kubota Z726X
Oct 4, 2022
Michigan
My neighbor has one of those. It works pretty good, but the demons in my head voted to get an inside stove that doesn't rely on electricity. (for when the EMP hits....and remember......it will🤫)
Pros and cons to both.
I don’t have to split much at all, but we go through a heck of a lot more wood with the OWB and like you said I need electric to run the pump. If we lose power I still end up firing up the generator for the well so that part really isn’t an issue.
OWB heats the whole house more evenly than an indoor stove, and no mess inside the house. Also we can turn off the water heater during the heating season as the OWB heats the water.
I do really miss an indoor wood heater for the ambiance.