Hydraulic Pressure increase?

JimDeL

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2380; R4 tires; 54" MMM; FEL w Pirahna bar; Ballast Box; BXpanded skid plate.
Aug 31, 2022
Austintown, Ohio
I see quite a few posts here that suggest shimming the hydro pressure of a BX up to 2000 psi (or beyond).

What effect does this have on the longevity of the pump? I can't help but think that it would reduce pump life due to increased internal stresses.

Also, what about the life of the cylinders on the loader or other implements?

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I haven't messed with the factory settings, and I am aware that many others have increased the hydraulic pressure of their BX machines with no ill effects. The only downside that I can see to it is you might push the machine beyond its design parameters and break or bend a digging part that isn't designed to handle the task. I doubt that it would affect the longevity of either the pump or the cylinders. When cylinders start to leak, it is because they have gone beyond the life cycle of the seals. Most times new seals will cure that issue. If one loader cylinder is leaking, the other will start leaking right after you fix the first one, so do them both at the same time.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I see quite a few posts here that suggest shimming the hydro pressure of a BX up to 2000 psi (or beyond).

What effect does this have on the longevity of the pump? I can't help but think that it would reduce pump life due to increased internal stresses.

Run time and dirty oil is what kills pumps and cylinders. Both can handle 2000 PSI with no problem. Plus thats the relief setting. The vast majority of the time they are running well below that.

Dan

Last edited:

Gb540

Jan 9, 2021
Central US
Find the factory PSI spec and set it there.

The engineers had good reason for picking whatever the pressure is. Sure some parts can likely handle a ton more PSI no problem, but remember your tractor is a system and something's going to get overloaded.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire

Many who are increasing their hydraulic psi, have tested and found it to be below the factory specifications for their particular tractor. They are only shimming to bring it back up to the factory specifications. A few are going over that specification, but most are just getting to the factory specs.

Reactions: 1 user

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I have raised both of my BX's - from 1700 ish to close to 2000 psi,
Makes a huge difference - you can feel it and see it.

AS for why Kubota has it set for a certain spec? IF they set it higher -as in 2000, the FEL would then raise a higher load than the safety margin that an engineer designed and thus get sued.

Same reason or logic that drilling holes in ROPS is a bad idea....

Same reason that hot coffee should not be placed between your legs while driving......

Same reason preparation H has a label that say "do not take internally"

Last edited:

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I have raised both of my BX's - from 1700 ish to close to 2000 psi,
Makes a huge difference - you can feel it and see it.

AS for why Kubota has it set for a certain spec? IF they set it higher - and as 2000, the FEL would then raise a load higher than the safety margin that an engineer designed and thus get sued.

Same reason or logic that drilling holes in ROPS is a bad idea....

Same reason that hot coffee should not be placed between your legs while driving......

Same reason preparation H has a label that say "do not take internally"
Assuming puny 1.5" lift cylinders a 300 PSI pressure increase boosts actuator force by 1000 pounds. I would call that significant. Thats why Kubota used tamper proof adjustment screws on the older loader valves :oops:

Dan

Pawnee

Equipment
L2501
Jul 1, 2021
Ontario Canada
I

AS for why Kubota has it set for a certain spec? IF they set it higher - and as 2000, the FEL would then raise a load higher than the safety margin that an engineer designed and thus get sued.
How could it raise a load higher?
Oh, I think I see what you mean - it would raise a heavier load.
That might be clearer in French.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
How could it raise a load higher?
Oh, I think I see what you mean - it would raise a heavier load.
That might be clearer in French.
Ya - my bad, bad sentence - raise more not higher