Husky or Stihl

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Husky is alot like Toro. They both make homeowner and commerical line up of products and some of the equipment is made to the mass market. And Stihl makes a varity of their products meant for the weekend warrior, however Sthil's homeowner line up is only sold threw dealers as is the Toro commerical line up of equipment.

BigT

Equipment
The mighty B7100 ,woods rm59, yo mama
Apr 24, 2011
Baseball Hall of Fame
I have an 18 inch bar on my saw that handles most jobs. I was thinking about getting a longer one but had second thoughts cause it works fine. What size do you fellas run?

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I have an 18 inch bar on my saw that handles most jobs. I was thinking about getting a longer one but had second thoughts cause it works fine. What size do you fellas run?
I run a 20" on my 390, and a 25" on my 660. We cut bit stuff, so the 20" is a minimum. I could use a smaller saw/bar for limbing and light stuff, but I don't want a third saw- the 390 is small enough to use for lighter duty.
You should really research your saw- if you are comfortable with an 18" bar, you might not want to move up- a larger bar will take more power, and you may not be satisfied then. There is always a balance between the right size bar and the next one up.
We just switched the bar, sprocket, and chain on dads Husky 254, to 3/8"s. The saw lugs a lot more now, so the bigger chain is a little too much for it. That was just an increase from .325 to .375.

Jim-Iowa

Oct 14, 2011
Newton,Iowa
I used to always use Homelite and liked them very much.
Eric said"--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I make my equipment buying decisions based on a proven long standing history of a company and product."

I wish I could say that! I don't reccoment buying when your angry but Last August, I had the Homelite out on one of those 95 degree days when the humidity was close to the same. It ran for about 10 minutes, died and would not start? I can probably fix it but was mad to have driven 14 miles and not acomplish much.
I went home and then to the hardware store and bought a new Stihl MS180C.
It's not a big saw having a 16" bar, but it's all the saw I ever want to run(I have come to accept at 61 I'm not the man I once was).
I am delighted with this saw! It has the easy start and I love the tool less, chain tightener.

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
When i was just a kid (50 + years ago) , my grandfather had a homelite xl12. He and my father both burnt firewood. Allmost every weekend we were in the woods cutting. He finally got tooo old to cut and my father got the saw. 25 years later my father gave me the saw, said it didn;t run anymore. I took it apart, rebuilt it and notched the exhaust ports out some. MAN, would that thing run!!!
Several years later, I stopped by a friends house and he was out cutting logs (sweet gum, hard stuff)with a stiel. He made some comment about a Homelite wouldn't even cut this tough wood. I just happened to have my XL12 in the truck. We both laid down on the log at the same time and I beat him thru it. I don't think I've ever seen such a stunned look on anyones face.
After he got over the shock, I told him I had worked on the eng a "litttle".
Two years ago he brought me a cylinder out of an old Xl12 homelite and said, "make it run like your old one". Wonder what my Stiel would do if I did the same thing to it?????

Freakingstang

Oct 23, 2011
NE Ohio
I have the following stihl saws:
MS 660, ms440 (all time favorite saw), an ms 360 pro, and an 026

For husky, I have a 55 rancher, 372xp with a ported big bore kit, and a 346xp that has been ported as well

I also have a 5100 and 7900 dolmar. These are probably my two favorite saws. Big and little for the best in wood cutting. I Also won the 7900 from a dealer at a saw race...

The ms440/ 044 magnum is probably the best multipurpose saw of all time. Best power to weight ratio. Had tons of grunt and isn't super peaky like the 371/372xp huskys are.

KenB2920

Equipment
L5240 brush hog,flail mower,wicked grapple,tiller,Danuser F-8 PHD,BB,RB 7' rake
Jun 17, 2011
Almont, mi
I have an ms 270 cb for the summer now and although I can't compare it to many other saws, this has cut everything I have put it to. I am a weekend warrior for the most part. I am Not cutting wood everyday, but a few times a month. Approx. 2-3 cords of wood so far. However, now that fall is here I will probably be cutting 2-4 more cords in the next month. I have faith but so far I believe the chain is whats most important ( when comparing comprable saws).

Approx 30 plus downed trees I have that need to be cut up and are currently laying on the ground. Approx 6" - 18".....

QUESTION: How long can wood stay on wet ground (kinda swampy) before it A) rots B) is no longer useable in a fire place.

I would like to get it all out of the woods but it is going to be a chore
accessing it all since The tractor won't make it back there. Heck the atv will
barely make it.( that many downed trees) but it's all good oak / ash for the majority .... So I may have to take it out literally a log at a time instead of a
6' lengths or more which I would prefer.

Other saws used: echo which was great with a 14" bar while I live in the city.
But that would not hack it in the country. I was cutting side by side with my brother in law using the echo and my stihl Faster, more power , and 18 vs 14 inch bar. Chain lasts longer, longer cutting time with larger fuel tank. World of a difference. My buddy just picked up a husky 450 which seems comparable to the stihl but I have-not seen it yet. We will do some side by
side cutting and i will let you know how that goes.

Big box vs dealer. World of a difference. Big box Limited to no service. Dealer took every extra step possible with me. Thank you lumberjack shack. He even asked if I want to learn a little on how to operate it. I laughed thinking what's to know since I have used saws. Simple things like flipping the bar upside down after every couple chain sharpenings. I was amazed at the little things I learned. (and I have used numerous small engines while running my lawn service. It's always good to step back, swallow your pride. I am always amazed at what I learn from someone when I thought I knew it all. Life I guess. Oh well I rambled enough. Lol I will probably read this after my nap, laugh and delete it.

asbug

Equipment
B7001 - looks orange to me... Woods 5' scrape, 42" rotary cutter, shreader/chip.
Feb 11, 2011
Varnell,GA - USA
029 Farm Boss - I just cut up a true 36" wide Red Oak with it. I have had this saw for 14 months and I love it I honestly think that this saw will last my lifetime, not alot of things I buy I feel that confident about.
Cut my teeth on my G'paw's REAL saw a 420 farm boss - that thing was a hoss, just lay the saw on the tree and it'll do the cutting under it's own weight. My uncle has that saw and one day I'll get it.....
I have cut up like 35 full sized trees with my 029 (>18" trunks) as well as approx 3 acres of smaller arm sized undergrowth. I have an OLD XL2 that I use to clear brush, only because it is the saw that I grew up with and had to repair every time it broke growing up, so I am quite attached to it. I have stripped the stud off twice and have re died it to a metric then to the next smaller standard... Smokes like a marlborow when I start it (50:1 Sthil gas) but it gets the limbing and small stuff done still with it's 13" bar (lill' bit).
KC

asbug

Equipment
B7001 - looks orange to me... Woods 5' scrape, 42" rotary cutter, shreader/chip.
Feb 11, 2011
Varnell,GA - USA
I would like to get it all out of the woods but it is going to be a chore
accessing it all since The tractor won't make it back there. Heck the atv will
barely make it.( that many downed trees) but it's all good oak / ash for the majority .... So I may have to take it out literally a log at a time instead of a
6' lengths or more which I would prefer.
I have the same issue and I pull up the mountain 5' - 6' lengths of normal trees with the tractor (B7001 = 42" wide w/ 4WD - so it can get between stuff), as for the large >20" stuff I just cut it into burnable lengths (14") and use an old mule log chain (with hooked ends) to pull each heavy piece to the drive way where I can split it into manageable pieces for the screw woodspliter.
- I feel your Pain -
KC

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Asbug, next time you mix up some fuel for the saws add a little bit of Seafoam into the mix. It'll help clear up the smoke, clean and condition your fuel and the saw will run like a scalded dog for sure. This new ethonal fuel crap in tearing up power equipment.

You cant over do it with Seafoam and you can find it at every auto parts store.

KenB2920

Equipment
L5240 brush hog,flail mower,wicked grapple,tiller,Danuser F-8 PHD,BB,RB 7' rake
Jun 17, 2011
Almont, mi
MS 270cb and I love it. The dealer "lumberjack shack" is where I purchased it and those guys know customer service. I can't say enough good things....