Husky or Stihl

BigT

Equipment
The mighty B7100 ,woods rm59, yo mama
Apr 24, 2011
Baseball Hall of Fame
After starting a recent logging adventure with my little tractor and spending some time in the woods...
I started to wonder if any of you have a Favorite saw. I have a Stihl, some of buddys who've bee using Huskys may have been swayed after getting to use mine.

:cool:

Kubota_Man

Equipment
BX24, Rear blade, Front blade, Snowblower, 54" MMM, Box scraper, Landscape rake
Dec 25, 2010
Kellogg, Idaho
Stihl gets my vote. I hava a couple of their products and never a problem.

DBCSteve

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL, box scraper, Artillian forks & grapple, GR 2120 mower
Jul 23, 2011
Snohomish, WA
Stihl for me the past 20 years: 045, 034, 034S, 290 and 250. Great saws, real work horses.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
We own several Stihl saws and other stuff, but have a Husqvarna that has worked very well also.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I had a Husqvarna 257 chainsaw, and still have a 235 weedeater. I like Husqvarna, but prefer Stihl because of dedication to service and staying true to who they are, service and parts availability, and a better product.
I will quantify the last part of that- there is a difference in what you buy at Lowe's and TSC, and what you buy from a pro line Husqvarna dealer. Most people, in what I read, refer to saws bought at the stores. I have cut along side them, and my Stihl's (390 and 660) run better, and I can get parts and service much easier than you can at Lowe's or TSC. I know that Husqvarna still has a pro line and dedicated dealers, but not in my area. They are simply harder to deal with than Stihl, which I have 4 dealers within 30 miles of me.
My 257 was a great saw, but it didn't outperform my 390, which is the same size saw. My 225 runs great, but ergonomically, I like my Stihl FS130 better.
At the end of the day, both saws are good, and will perform well for most any homeowner. But, if you use a saw heavy, and cut bigger timber (we cut for my family, my mom and dad, and my brothers family- we cut a lot of wood), then for me and my needs (the real key here), Stihl makes more sense.
I had a Husqvarna 257, and now have a 390 to replace it, and a 660 magnum. My brother and dad both have Husqvarna 254's, and my dad replaced a Husqvarna 272 with a Stihl 440 magnum.

Last edited:

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I like my little 16" ORANGE Husqvarna (235 model i believe).
I've run the HECK out of it.
Good point- they are both orange, so they must be good.
Although, Stihl orange is more like Kubota orange...

Toyboy

Equipment
BX2230D - RCK60-22BX - BX5450
May 18, 2010
Hayward Wi
I have them both. .017 Stihl and a 371XP Husky. Both are really nice saws.

Deneh

Equipment
Zen Noh ZL2000FD
Dec 2, 2010
Herlong, Calif
I have a 024 Stihl given to me by a friend two years ago who bought a two Sears models...I bought a new Stihl last year for a present to me :D
Since last year, his Sears models have given up the ghost and my Stihl has force him to rethink giving away his old one! :D

Hook

Equipment
L3240 with LA514 FEL, Box Blade, Howard Rotovator, All Purpose Plow, Sub Soiler
Jul 6, 2010
Jackson, Georgia
Years ago I made a living with a Stihl 045. No problems.

WinnieCouple

Equipment
L245DT, razor brush hog, small disc, double bottom plow, 5' Turfline Box Blade.
Aug 1, 2011
Hico, Texas
Good point- they are both orange, so they must be good.
Although, Stihl orange is more like Kubota orange...
My Kubota is older and faded, so its pretty close color match....

My Dad has a Stihl, not sure the model, but the teeth on the chain are FAT, hanging off the sides of the bar. I'm sure it cuts a 3/8" or better groove, where mine is about the same as the bar, gets a little tight some times.

He only uses OAK in his Lopi~ fireplace insert. Oak is HARD.
I've just been cutting up mesquite that has been pushed down, green or dry it cuts pretty easy.
anyway... anyone that spends any time slinging a chainsaw KNOWS what hard work is...!!!
watch your toes men..!

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Every professional tree company I know swares by Stihl. I use all pro series Stihl weedwackers blowers and chain saws in my fleet of equipment in my landscaping business. And as Hodge mentioned spend the little extra and get the professional model of saws from Stihl. Even Stihl has a home owner line of power equipment which is a little cheaper but not as long lasting or heavy duty.

Tmac60

Equipment
B3000/63" Front Blower/FEL/Box Blade
Sep 22, 2011
Spring Lake MI
Stihl for service and parts, like the feel of it better than any Husky I have had in my hands. 029,039 cant recall the number on my 3rd....

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Every professional tree company I know swares by Stihl. I use all pro series Stihl weedwackers blowers and chain saws in my fleet of equipment in my landscaping business. And as Hodge mentioned spend the little extra and get the professional model of saws from Stihl. Even Stihl has a home owner line of power equipment which is a little cheaper but not as long lasting or heavy duty.
Another benefit is that Stihl is made in good old Virginia Beach, Va.
http://www.stihlusa.com/corporate/

firejunkie

Equipment
Kubota Mx4700 4w/FEL, Modern Ag cutter,Dirt dog Box blade and Rake, Custom forks
Mar 19, 2011
greenwood, SC
The company for which I work carries both Stihl and Husqvarna brands, from construction to forestry and land management products. Both are fine products (true commercial lines that is. Not ANY of the products the box stores sells) We rent and sell most of there lines, for me the edge would be Stihl , barely. Both offer good support, Stihl is a bit easier to order parts, both parts pricing is similar. You can find dealers at outside stores as well as large rental companies (United, RSC, Sunbelt are all dealers) you can even buy a used unit for less (10-50%less)than new.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Well my last saw was a Mac PRO 10-10 yeah a real old gal,, lasted me 30 years and wore out several bars gawd knows how many chains and I dont even want to think how much wood it cut. But when it went tits up I bought a Husky about half the weight and bloody fast, slimer chain so a smaller kirf, though it can get wedged a bit easyer becaise of that so it seems. I have the 360 with an 18 inch bar and that saw has cut stuff no 18 inch bar should have ever attempted,so I am pleased,, Now the down side of this saw,, the bolts holding the muffler come loose and will egg out the holes inthe cylinder cooling plate it is attched to. over sixe drill and a heli coil didnt help much so it runs like a hot saw LOUD. And its not to hard on fuel. I did go to Harbor Fright and got one of their CHEAP chain sharpners,, the best 30 bucks I ever spent, if you can sharpen 4 chains it has paid for it self and I have done a bunch of chains so Im way ahead of the game. WOuld I buy another Husk, in a heart beat,, but like all orange things ya got get the next bigger one,,,lol

BigT

Equipment
The mighty B7100 ,woods rm59, yo mama
Apr 24, 2011
Baseball Hall of Fame
I 'm surprised I havent heard more from the Husky crowd. There usually rowdy when it comes to talkin about there saws.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I 'm surprised I havent heard more from the Husky crowd. There usually rowdy when it comes to talkin about there saws.
Yea- I have witnessed few arguments as big or as bad as Husqvarna vs. Stihl. Very passionate folks.
Why is that? I get my feathers ruffled too, but maturity says that if you are happy with your saw, then own it, and don't worry what someone else likes or thinks. But, for whatever reason (I'm a shadetree psychologist, not a professional), people feel passionately that whatever truck they drive, and whatever tools they use, and whatever saw they run, is the best.
Maybe it is insecurity. Who knows. I say make your own choice, do your due diligence, don't worry what everyone else thinks, and enjoy what you have. I love my Dodge/Cummins, my Stihls, my Kubota, my yada yada yada. If you don't like it, don't buy it for yourself. Just don't tell me that I'm stupid for owning it.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I make my equipment buying decisions based on a proven long standing history of a company and product. My dad started a landscape business just before I was born and I'm 30 years old today and I have in my posession some of his equipment he used when he started out the company. Now I'm not saying I buy Stihl equipment because my dad bought it, I'm sayin I buy Stihl equipment because what my dad had over 30 years ago is still running like a scalded dog today. That to me is proven history of a company and its products.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I make my equipment buying decisions based on a proven long standing history of a company and product. My dad started a landscape business just before I was born and I'm 30 years old today and I have in my posession some of his equipment he used when he started out the company. Now I'm not saying I buy Stihl equipment because my dad bought it, I'm sayin I buy Stihl equipment because what my dad had over 30 years ago is still running like a scalded dog today. That to me is proven history of a company and its products.
To be fair, Husqvarna has a strong, respectable history, up to this point. To me, though, the move to go to mass market, and the corners cut to facilitate that, make them undesirable to me.