how to use float on fel?

jpf

Feb 26, 2016
butler, ga USA
I have a b2301 and don't know how to use the float function for the fel.
when I push forward on the joy stick the fel will pick up the front end of the tractor.
can you tell me how and when to use float?
ignorance is a disability!

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Push a bit harder to get past the detent, I usually do this just before touching the bucket down.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Use the "float" function when you want your bucket to "float" or drift on the ground (not dig in). Might be when you're pushing snow and don't want the loader to dig into the surface you're working on. Or back dragging your bucket to level out some low spots on your driveway.

JustJeff

Equipment
Kubota BX 2350
I have the same question. I know "why" to use float. I have a snow removal business and the plows are always in float when they're down. But I don't feel this "detent" when lowering the loader. Still not sure how to get it into float.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
On a new tractor getting to the float position can seem like you're going to break something! There is quite a bid of resistance when you first get the valve into float. There is a spring and three or four balls the size of a pea that have to be moved, called the detent position.

After continued use the resistance is a bit less on the spring, and you know how hard to push and what to expect.

Operate it like you rented the tractor!!!:D:D

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
Used mine today to level out the ends of my garden rows.

I lower the bucket or as my 2 year old calls it the cup to the ground and then swiftly push the handle till it stops.

If pushed to slowly the front of the tractor will lift off the ground.

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
Doing it on the fly may need some getting used to. I usually come to a stop before I engage float to keep from inadvertent digging / scraping.
You will get used to it once you master it. However if pushing it all the way forward doesn't engage float or it won't stay there by itself you need to have it looked at.

jkcolo22

Equipment
BX25D
Jan 5, 2017
Castle Rock, Colorado
To find the float position, start with the bucket a couple feet off the ground. Slam the stick forward. If the bucket drops straight down (rather than gently lowers) you have found the float position. It's pointless to do it any other way. If you lower all the way, then apply float, you will have already applied down pressure and taken the weight off the front wheels and you can't float the loader when it's also supporting the weight of the machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
lots of us newbies are still learning to do this correctly.

over in my thread the guys explained it there too...

it is really stiff on the new tractor & i dont have it mastered yet either.

keep practicing! thats what im doing. :D

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
But I don't feel this "detent" when lowering the loader. Still not sure how to get it into float.
I have noticed that mine can be difficult to get into float after sitting overnight in sub-zero weather. I suspect the detent freezes. It thaws after working the FEL for 5 or 10 minutes. If I leave it in float when I shut it down for the night, then I have no problems the next day -- first pull is a bit stiff but it works fine from the start.

Technical Ted

Equipment
L3560/cab LA805 loader LandPride RCF2060 rotary cutter, HLA hyd angle snow blade
Jul 2, 2016
Dansville NY
I've found that especially when first learning how to float it works best to cut back on the throttle... run your tractor at lower engine RPM. This cuts back on the hydraulic pressure and volume so you don't pound the FEL into the ground when you put it into float mode.

This works nice on my L3560 when I use auto throttle advance. When plowing snow I slow travel down which decreases engine RPM and put the blade down and into float mode without pounding it down and starting to raise the front end of the tractor. Then, when moving forward the auto throttle advance increases engine RPM and I'm moving snow without banging things around too much.

YMMV,
Ted

jpf

Feb 26, 2016
butler, ga USA
you guy's are awesome,
I know now how to access float even if I'm shy on experience.
time will correct the lack of experience.
thanks y'all.

Reactions: 1 user

scdeerslayer

Equipment
MX5200DT
May 23, 2016
SC
Dang, I've never had trouble finding float. It's harder sometimes keeping it out of float. I get it in float a lot no meaning to, typically after lifting to dump then lowering to a travel height.