How to remove PTO B3350/Land Pride tiller

Sharryn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
'15 B3350, LA534A Loader, Land Pride RTA1258 Tiller, BH77 Backhoe, Forks
Aug 31, 2015
Alexandria, PA USA
I can't find in the manual or on YouTube how to remove the tiller from the PTO on my tractor. This is the first time for me to remove anything from 3 pt. :eek:

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
There are generally 2 kinds of shaft connection, 1st the older style, pin with a spring up near the front, and on the side of the shaft, you push the spring loaded pin in, compressing the spring, then pull back on the shaft. It should pop right off, with a slight tug on the shaft, towards the back. Sometimes the pin needs a shot of penetrating oil, and a tap from a hammer or wrench, to get to start moving. 2nd type has a big plastic collar, that you tug backwards on, and it releases 3 spring loaded balls from the holes, that lock the shaft in the on position.

With both types, it is sometimes easiest, to lower the 3 point, having first dropped the jack leg on the tiller, and remove the 3 3point connections, first, and pull the tractor forward a couple inches, to gain working room for removing the pto connection...:D

mport

Equipment
2013 B3200 backhoe
May 9, 2014
ST. Clairsville OH
I had to fight to get the pto shaft off of my b3200 the first few times I used it. It is easier now that the splines have a bit of wear. Lube it good before ya use it next time.

Sharryn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Aug 31, 2015
Alexandria, PA USA
Hey thanks guys! Mine has the button that you push in. I didn't know that you could pull forward. I thought I would snap it off if I did that, but I know now that it comes apart. That makes it easier to work back there too. My brother finally came down and helped me with it. My thumb was really sore from pushing that button in. Gee I love this forum AND my new Kubota. Thanks again fellas!

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
My flail mower it turns out has a particularly evil button to detach the pto shaft. Here is the thread and a variety of helpful solutions people came up with to help me out. My thumb was totally inadequate for the task.

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20513

What I have since found is that a small piece of wood braced against the base of the thumb works, and even better I found a lynch pin that had kind of a hollow at the pin end that fit over the button. This could also be braced at the base of the thumb. One of these days I'll get the pictures taken to post to finish that thread. I noticed at TSC there were pto shafts with more reasonable buttons, so the whole thing could be replaced. Another hint came from my farrier who tried it out and declared it evil, he said his wife attaches stuff to their bota with no trouble and they douse all the pieces with teflon spray to keep them easy ? to hook up.

Sharryn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Aug 31, 2015
Alexandria, PA USA
Thanks sheepfarmer! My thumb is still sore this morning from that dang button. I'm heading to that thread right now. I have some silicon spray so I just might hit that button with it today. Thanks again!

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
A hammer and an old piece of rebar will let you tap down on that button (after you spray it) without getting the hammer in next to the assembly. You don't have to go all Samsonite Gorilla on it but do tap it with some authority. It will break loose and lube itself up for the next trip down and through when you use your fingers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C-e96m4730

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Mine was grumpy ging on the other day. Engine off(i cant stress that enough) and pto engaged, was much easier to connect. I also foug it easier to disconnect with pto shaft engaged.

notnew2diy

Jul 15, 2014
McHenry county, Il.
Thanks sheepfarmer! My thumb is still sore this morning from that dang button. I'm heading to that thread right now. I have some silicon spray so I just might hit that button with it today. Thanks again!
The PTO shaft is 2 pieces. The piece that connects to the tractor, slide it off. Take it in the garage and lube it up(grin). You should be able to push in the pin w/minimal effort.

HTH...good luck...notnew....

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
...You should be able to push in the pin w/minimal effort...
That's thar's funny right there... don't care who ya are... :D :p

Most implements get left out in the dirt, mud, rain and sun. Spoiled ones like mine get a covered shelter but that's pretty rare. So they get all kinds of garbage in those release pins and it causes them to require a bit more than 'minimal effort'.

The mechanism itself is as old as the hills but that doesn't mean it's the best one out there. The ball release one is out there too but adoption on that is low so I don't think they have a great solution there.

I've seen some 'custom' rigs of that connection as well but most would be frowned upon by some government entity.

So the ol' tried and true methods tend to get used and when they don't work, some folks just 'get a bigger hammer'. Not saying it's the best solution, but I'm not going to kick a frustrated farmer in the backside for going to it either...LOL!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Once you get the button in far enough to release the shaft, move your tractor out of they way.

Then pick up the shaft and spray the inside splines with silicone spray. Spray on the edge of the button where it goes in the yoke so liquid goes up in around the pin that moves in and out, spray both ends.

Push in the button and spray inside the spline areas with the button is pushed in and again with no pressure on the button. This will lube the entire pin.

When you're finished with the attachment, place the end of the PTO shaft on something so it's not on the ground. Get some grease out of a grease gun and smear on the splines inside. Slobber them good with grease, and while you're doing it, push the pin in and release several times, making it's greased up good.

When you hook up the shaft next time, wipe out excess grease, push the button in a few times to be sure it's free. It should slide on easier!!

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Well at least on mine there are a couple of issues. One is the totally stuck position, which might be relieved by the hammer method, but I found I could get it out of by turning the flail drum a little by hand. More lube and wear might help that. Then there is the problem that the button is about 2 mm across, and digs into the thumb in a painful way so that pushing against a really strong spring is pretty excruciating. My pain threshold was exceeded before I could get the thing to completely release. No amount of lubricating solves that problem. As I mentioned an evil design. But the padded stick helps with just a smidge more leverage. .

Sharryn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Aug 31, 2015
Alexandria, PA USA
Hey, thanks for all the tips guys! Now another question... tonight I tried to hook it back up again. I mean, how hard could it be, right? :eek: Well, I finally put the tractor away and decided to try again tomorrow, since it was getting dark. In what order do you all go through to put an attachment on? I hooked on the lower lift arms and then the upper arm first. When I tried to hook the PTO part on, it wasn't lined up so it will fit together again. How do you rotate the shaft so it's lined up and will attach to the PTO again? I'm so new at this you wouldn't believe. Manuals aren't a lot of help for a newbie either. I guess they assume if you bought something like this you should know the basics :rolleyes:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Hey Sharryn, it only took me an hour to put my flail back on yesterday. :( Yes it was the first time doing it by myself since I got it. I just watched when it was delivered. Here's what I did and learned: I hooked up the 3 pt hitch first. I have a quick hitch so it is a matter of matching up the hooks to the pins with the lift arms and then lenthening or shortening the top link to get the top hook lined up right. While I was doing this the pto shaft was just resting on a furniture dolly so it wouldn't get dirty. I had sprayed and lubed the connector and button on the pto shaft to a fairtheewell, and the pto on the tractor. I had not pulled the shaft apart and lubed that section (mistake). I went to line up the pto shaft and push button to get it to slide on and found left hand could not hold up shaft, push hard sliding the shaft to longer position while the right did the button thing with the lynch pin. So I made a sling for the pto shaft and hung it from the top link at about the right height and length. I had some twister things handy but baling twine would work. To get the splines to line up I grabbed the tractor pto shaft and it would turn. If you have the shaft close to it, you can feel when the teeth mesh. Then the hard part is holding that gd button down at the same time you push just far enough to get it started on the tractor pto. Then you can use both hands on the shaft cover to shove the shaft forward until you hear it click and the button pops out because its pin has dropped into the groove on the tractor pto. You can see from the above the importance of lubricating the shaft too.

It may have been luck that finally I got it back on, but if I can do it you can too. :)

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
holding that gd button down at the same time

LMAO :D I don't know why but when sheep farmer says that it sounds funny as hell

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Someone did mention the importance of having the vocabulary of a sailor for this...:eek:

notnew2diy

Jul 15, 2014
McHenry county, Il.
That's thar's funny right there... don't care who ya are... :D :p

Most implements get left out in the dirt, mud, rain and sun. Spoiled ones like mine get a covered shelter but that's pretty rare. So they get all kinds of garbage in those release pins and it causes them to require a bit more than 'minimal effort'.
Glad I could provide some levity, but I was serious.
My implements sit outside, uncovered, 7x24x365 or 366(grin).
I have 3 w/push buttons. If any are hard to press, they get a shot of
used motor oil. Keeping the head outta the dirt and off the ground helps.
Yes, I do the hammer method when needed, but usually, it's not needed.

FWIW...many years ago, dad drilled out his push button and used a grade 5 bolt and double nut.
He never seemed to have a problem(big grin).

To connect an implement, I always start w/the fixed arm.
Next is the PTO shaft, followed by the adjustable arm.
Top link is last.
Only deviation is when I hook up my tiller....PTO shaft is first. It's a bit too long.

Adjustments are made using the HST and/or a 5' metal bar.

HTH...have fun...notnew....

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
One important, simple step to hooking up a 3pt implement. When you backup to the implement be sure your tractor PTO is directly centered between the arms of the implement. This gives you a straight PTO shaft to get hooked to the tractor.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
One important, simple step to hooking up a 3pt implement. When you backup to the implement be sure your tractor PTO is directly centered between the arms of the implement. This gives you a straight PTO shaft to get hooked to the tractor.
Thanks D2 that's a good point. My rig doesn't have a lot of play in it due to QH and pretty tight check apparatus (doesn't have chains), but any slight shift in angle would make it harder. Doesn't sound like Sharryn has qh so could be a problem.

clay45

Equipment
L2050DT, TSC 5ft Rake, Tartar 5ft rototiller, TSC Middlebuster, TSC CarryAll
Feb 6, 2015
SC
Sharryn, Sheepfarmer, and everyone else;

Yall have flat made my day! The "&&8%@!" button just about knocked me from my chair. Since purchasing two old tractors I've done little but chase down this and that and throw money at them since I got them. And I have one of "those" buttons on my tiller PTO shaft too. Once I got the blasted thing to work a few times it loosened right up. Oh, I can't WAIT until the next time I get to hook it up. :)

Right now I've spent the last week wrestling with a "new" old bucket to fit up to my loader. Starting to look doubtful so this thread boosted my spirits a bunch.:D