How to "freewheel" and possible differential lock

lmichael

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Apr 23, 2021
Rockford IL area
So 2 separate question dealing with my G2160
If one needed to push or pull these tractors how does one "disengage" the HST to allow this? On my other machines HST equipped there was always some type of "release" lever to allow freewheel.
Secondly
I have had a few times where the lack of being able to transfer power to the no slipping wheel would come in REALLY handy. My Simplicity Sovereign I had used an auto locking differential. I find no mention of this in the WSM for the Kubota. And unlike the little Honda 4514 I had before this beast is too damn heavy for me to simply pick up the ass end and push it :D
Has anyone come up with a way to perhaps apply one rear brake or the other individually to act more like a "posi"?
Would be a HUGE help :D

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
this will help you with one problem

1637538117194.png

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
If tractor has individual brakes for rear wheels... it is common practice to apply brake on spinning wheel to force the torque to other wheel.

lmichael

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Apr 23, 2021
Rockford IL area
If tractor has individual brakes for rear wheels... it is common practice to apply brake on spinning wheel to force the torque to other wheel.
The machine does have individual brakes but only one brake pedal with balanced linkage. So was just asking if anyone had modified one and how did they do it.
Re, the bypass valve. I did read about it but try as I might I can't find it. I'll have to look again. I am sure it's hiding in plain sight but I can't seem to locate it

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
G2160 is a lawn mower. They didn't see it feasible to separate the brake, or to put a diff lock on it. It's a lawn mower.

It doesn't have a manual bypass valve. Just take the brake off and move it manually, albeit slowly. The harder/faster you push, the harder it pushes against you. Try it and you'll see what I mean.

lmichael

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Apr 23, 2021
Rockford IL area
Yeah, I have been able to push it VERY slowly and VERY little. But it's quite difficult compared to how the little Honda or the Simplicity worked when disengaged. Which is what prompted the ask about a release valve on it.
I realize what it is. I was just hoping it would have some way of getting a little better traction when I am in the culverts. They have always been "challenging". Only the Sovereign of the machines I have owned was able to work those culverts without issue of any kind.
Given the machine I was hoping for a little better is all.