How self sufficient are you?

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Dennis T said on another post-
"Folks here seem to have a passion for building things themselves".
That made me think of a question posted on another forum, and I thought I would drag it over here.
How self sufficient are you? It is an interesting question, in light of the economy, the recent onslaught of Hurricane Sandy, and just the general idea.

I heat with wood, which we have more than enough deadfall to keep us warm forever. We have a nice sized creek running through the front yard, so water is never an issue. We garden. We live simple, have spent a good bit of time in third world countries doing mission work, and we know how to survive off of little. So, I like to think that we are self sufficient. I can fix most anything, and I am able to figure things out and think outside the box.
Oh, I have a diesel truck, a diesel skidsteer, and a diesel tractor that have no electronics. Some fuel and air and a battery, and I am good to go.
I am employeed by my church, which is an 1/8th of a mile away. No problem getting to work on my two feet.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Ya know most of us that have grown up out in the sticks, know how to hunt fish, garden and take care of what needs to be taken care of, It is sad to see folks that cant figure out things to survive.
Case in point, 3 years ago we had a really good snow storm and the area was with out power for about 13 days.
Peopel were crying about how much food they lost in the FREEZER, well duhhh,,, snow 3 feet deep in the back yard maybe you could put stuff in a SNOW PILE,, Should things go south,, gona be a lot of really hungry people out there

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
A major snow and wind storm in '93 took power off for 2 weeks here. I cooked with a gas grill and had a small generator to run the lights and refrigerator but not the freezer. I took all the food out of the freezer, put it in coolers , set it outside in the shade of the house and piled snow on top of it. The snow was allmost melted off by the time the power came back on but I lost no food. Had a wood stove for heat. This incident made me become more aware of "What if". I now have 2 generators and am working on some solar heat. As Hodge said, being from the country helps but, when it really gets bad, all the city people will be comeing out here. I hope I'm gone by then, it's going to be really bad.

Mike_B

Equipment
B2320 w/MMM & FEL, & a bunch of Stihl power equipment. Lincoln SA250 for repairs
Oct 27, 2012
the Dusty South
I'm not super self sufficient, but I am too a point. I don't look forward to the day when everyone must survive using wits & what's at hand. I took time 3 years ago to evaluate my life & then rid myself of everything I didn't need. Since then I've been able to rid myself of debt & have a less stressful life. My wife on the other hand hasn't quite gotten the same grasp on it as me. That's ok though since we have each other to count on. In things I'm not so handy at doing myself I will trade labor/favors & assist them so I can learn. I tend to barter a lot, which in a world without money will be a useful skill. Credit with people will take you farther & with better company than a credit score & a banker.

Sent from a tin can & string hooked to a party line telephone. I tap it with a stick like a telegraph

Last edited:

bcbull378

Equipment
GL3830,fel,brush hog,pallet forks,disc,gannon,auger,springtooth,plow,drag,ripper
Sep 6, 2011
Ventura Ca
My family and I are very self sufficient, Our ranch is 9 miles out of town as a kid my father taught me to improvise. We didnt have the neighborhood hardware so we used what we had. I do all my own welding , carpenter and elcetrical work so I have some barter value if it comes to that.We grow most all of are vegitable, beef, pork, grain and my main vise in life is hunting so we always have venison quail dove pheasant and other goodies in the freezer.Have a good water well with a back up windmill when the power goes out . Needless to say theyll come a day when the tree huggers will be lined up at the door wanting a handout , thats the time ill teach them to fish

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Bartering is a lost art. No single person is all-talented, or 100% self sufficient. Being able to scratch each others backs is an important aspect, and I believe firmly in it. My dad taught me that a long time ago. Plus, they can't tax you on back scratching...

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I think for a young buck at 31 I do alright at being self sufficient. I fish every now and then, never been hunting a day in my life. Nobody in my immediate family hunts, alot of extended family does.

I can swing a hammer pound some nails turn a wrench bust some knuckles do a little bit of plumbing and electrical work. As the saying goes a "jack of all trades and a master of none" I can do and know enough to get by with my own stuff and help out other friends who can't figure it out.

I do a little bit of barter or back scratching. If I can't figure it out or know how to do it I know plenty of people who can and we always trade work. Do a job for me and I'll do a job for you.

Yeah I grew up in a suburban area but spent much of my youth growing up with 7 acres of land about a two miles from home where horses were boarded. And when I became of age to drive I'd spend alot of my teenage years out in the country. I really and a miss placed farm boy. I do love it out in the country and hope one day I can have my own hunk of land to call home.

RD Gray

Equipment
BX2200 LA211 Loader 5' rear blade Woods PHD ph35
Oct 31, 2012
Luray, Virginia
Not as much as I was at one time. I was the third of eleven kids raised in Pine Grove Hollow in the foothills of the Blue Ridge. We had to do about everything to survive. I refuse to burn wood, did enough cutting wood growing up. Worked in to many gardens growing up to get a nickel to go to the store and get a bottle of pop. I've gotten lazy with all the modern conveniences around us today. Well I guess if I had to survive I could still manage if it wasn't to hard. Maybe I could talk the wife into doing all the hard work.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Being self sufficient makes good sense for those who are able. Rural land owners are a lucky group. :)
You wrestle wolves? I don't think Chuck Norris can do that...

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
M4500, New Idea Cut-Ditioner, JD 14T Baler, IH "Plow Chief" plows, Oliver Rake
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
Amen on burning wood RD Gray! Did plenty of that and shoveling coal growing up in SE Ohio.
Beyond that - we plant a big garden, freeze and can a lot of stuff, grow our own beef (and then some). Can fix almost anything that can be broken (but am growing tired of that, would rather be able to pay someone to do that stuff now).

bcbull378

Equipment
GL3830,fel,brush hog,pallet forks,disc,gannon,auger,springtooth,plow,drag,ripper
Sep 6, 2011
Ventura Ca
Being self sufficient makes good sense for those who are able. Rural land owners are a lucky group. :)
Yes we are lucky, I to am a rural land owner great pick of the wolf

meanjean

Equipment
Kubota MX4700
Aug 10, 2010
Hazelridge, Manitoba
That wolf was shot in Birds Hill Park which is 10 minutes from our house.

We've got 5 acres and plant a big garden every year. Hunting and fishing has always been a way of life so the food aspect is covered.

The one skill I lack is carpentry. I measure twice and still cut the damn board short! The honest truth is that I don't make an effort bc I have no interest in learning carpentry.

I can pull a wrench, that's where barter comes in.
"You can't tax barter"
Well said.

We are fortunate enough to have a healthy net income between Cheryl and I. This affords the luxury of being able to pay to have certain jobs done. Example:

Had a back door installed last week. Cost was about $600 collective. That's parts ($350) and labor ($250)
My father in law and I could have installed it but it would have been a lengthy, process. The extra $250 was well worth it!

I am doing a cash job for a client of mine. $800 in car parts, I'm charging him $175 to install. Pulling wrenches is a labor of love for me.

My Dad processes his own deer meat. Sausages, smokies, garlic rings.
I can't be bothered. Drop it with the butcher and 2 weeks later and $200 and my hands stay clean.

Maybe I'm a bit weird the way I justify decisions?

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I once dated a gal with gourds like that,,,snicker:rolleyes: