How did you mount your fire extinguisher?

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
🙋

Do I get to choose which one? 😂

I would like the L, but I could use a smaller tractor like the B 😁
You’d want a totaled one? I will probably be in short supply. But if I survive it, I’ll post pictures.

I’ve got a Craftsman “yard tractor” with a bad hydrostatic transaxle that is available for cheap.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Excellent mounting idea.

BUT: ....Cheap big box store extinguisher.

Plastic valve head, and plastic discharge lever are TERRIBLE ideas!

The plastic valve/lever will snap/break when you REALLY need it!
Sun and age are the enemies of cheap black plastic parts.
Here you go buddy, now you won't have to worry about me anymore. :)
IMG_0024.JPG

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Great ideas.

But I have K TAC insurance. 🙂 lol.

Where I live everything is rainy and wet and green in the summer or frozen solid in the winter. Like selling ice to Eskimos.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
I LIKE it! :D
Those plastic valve assembly POS extinguishers should be outlawed!
^^^^^^

Indeed they should. A few years ago my Scag Zero Turn caught fire. I always kept a fire extinguisher on it and grabbed it to put out the fire. It was one with a plastic nozzle and Pull Pin.

Well.....the damn Pull Pin broke off flush with the handle when I tried to pull it, leaving the extinguisher 'jammed'. Watched my Zero Turn burn to the ground.

EX1.jpg
EX3.jpg

Hkb82

Equipment
M7060, Ford 5600, can-am defender
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
Wait fire extinguisher. How in the world is insurance gonna buy me a new tractor if I put the fire out? If I’ve got issues that catch her on fire I just want a new one.

Reactions: 2 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Wait fire extinguisher. How in the world is insurance gonna buy me a new tractor if I put the fire out? If I’ve got issues that catch her on fire I just want a new one.
If you expect "insurance" to buy you "a new tractor", you better be absolutely certain that you have FULL replacement value coverage.....BEFORE the fire.
Many/most do not!

Last edited:

Hkb82

Equipment
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
If you expect "insurance" to buy you "a new tractor", you better be absolutely certain that you have FULL replacement value coverage.....BEFORE the fire.
Many/most do not!
It’s covered. Was just KINDA a joke. But thanks for the advise to others.

GrizBota

Equipment
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Well, a fire extinguisher might just keep your burning tractor from burning your field, barn, house, loved ones and half the county. It absolutely happens. A few years ago a fellow with a riding mower in a rural area a few ridges to the south started a fire that burned tens of thousands of acres of land, and several homes. I don’t think anyone died, but I promise that fellow’s life is very different now. Loosing a shiny tractor in a fire is the least of your worries.

I might be a bit more serious and sensitive to the fire hazard issue. Loosing a house and having folks think they have to tell your father that his family is gone is something that leaves a mark on a person.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
If I had a fire extinguisher, I would grab it. Only so it wouldn't explode and put the fire out.

I have full replacement insurance.

Showmedata

Equipment
LX3310
May 18, 2022
Boulder CO
like GrizBota, I carry a firex not because I'm worried about the tractor catching fire. I carry it because I'm mostly using the tractor out in the very-fire-prone forest, cutting and chipping for fire mitigation. I'm 100x more likely to spark a fire with my chainsaw, so I want the extinguisher close by.

Hkb82

Equipment
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
I might be a bit more serious and sensitive to the fire hazard issue. Loosing a house and having folks think they have to tell your father that his family is gone is something that leaves a mark on a person.
I’m serious and sensitive to it but it was a joke. I understand people that have experienced something like mentioned would have a more serious outlook.
I do have an extinguisher in all my toys and tools including 2 in the shop.n I get the farm land fire speech but you don’t have to take it to the extreme and point fingers at me for not taking it more seriously. FYI My barn is a steel quanset hut far away from my house and it and all major contents are also insured for the record. Surrounded by swamps and big water being Lake Huron and Georgian bay so it wouldn’t get far. No fields for me I’m not a farmer. Although I kinda wish I was. I would have an excuse to buy more tractors. And you know what more tractors means. That’s right more fire extinguishers mounting location possibilities lol.

Almost any subject can be taken to the extreme or seriousness. I enjoy the funny comments, jokes and sense of humour from members on this forum so I hope they don’t stop. I’m pretty sure 95% of the members can tell when something is just a joke or smart as* response. I’m sorry if I make a few of them.

GrizBota

Equipment
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
@Hkb82 No worries. Yup you got “the speech”. Indeed, without knowing folks it’s not always clear what’s a joke and what isn’t. I’m sure I’ve been misinterpreted myself at times. Primarily I’d like folks to think a little further down the line than their personal potential loss, or what their insurance covers or doesn’t cover. Fire is natural disaster (that can be initiated by man), which has no respect for property boundaries or insurance policies.

Hkb82

Equipment
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
Primarily I’d like folks to think a little further down the line than their personal potential loss, or what their insurance covers or doesn’t cover.
I can assure you I think of other people more then most. I think it’s actually put into our dna being born and raised in rural parts of Ontario Canada. We do have our exceptions though. I can appreciate the safety and reminders and always good to post those but no need to point fingers at clearly a joke. All I was saying.

GrizBota

Equipment
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
I can assure you I think of other people more then most. I think it’s actually put into our dna being born and raised in rural parts of Ontario Canada. We do have our exceptions though. I can appreciate the safety and reminders and always good to post those but no need to point fingers at clearly a joke. All I was saying.
Had it initially clearly been a joke to me (yes, to me), you wouldn’t have got the speech. Nothing personal here. I read the words and interpreted them as I did. You have clarified twice it was a joke, so be it. You’ve got no worries with me.

Hkb82

Equipment
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
you wouldn’t have got the speech.
That’s kinda my point. Your speech should have been just in general and didn’t need to be directed to me or my joke. It makes your insinuations also directed at me. No hard feeling on my side either. I understood what you were getting at. Let’s just let this thread be about extinguisher mounting locations. I will try and let people know I’m joking in future posts. Lol

GrizBota

Equipment
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
@Hkb82 The “speech” was in response to the words written. Regardless of whom. That post wasn’t the only one with a similar sentiment. It’s not personal as we don’t know each other. I generally don’t insinuate. If I’ve got something to say, there won’t be much needed to interpret it. I suggest not taking it personally.

This is only the internet with a bunch of random strangers with a similar interest. Pretty good chance there will be some misunderstandings.