How can I make my tractor safer?

Burt

Equipment
L3700SU, box blade, 6 foot rhino blade, 1 bottom plow, 3 point receiver hitch.
Mar 24, 2012
Goldendale, WA USA
I live on a hilly area. Frankly many times when I'm using my B2320, I feel like it might rollover. That's the last thing I want to happen. I ALWAYS wear my seat belt tight with the ROPs up, but frankly I still feel unsafe.

What are my realistic options? I was thinking about getting some wheel spacers. I know some people don't like them due to tranny issues, but I'd rather have a messed up tranny then a messed up body. Would they go on all wheels? What about more protection? Is that possible on the B2320? Shoulder harness, or full cage is that possible?
Squirm:

You can make it a lot safer by not leaving the key in it.

Seriously, any hill should be taken only straight down, not at an angle as mentioned. Going slow is really important also. The weighting ideas are also great.

We use 2 implements here for field-mowing. The L3700SU (read L3800) with 3 point field mower attached for the flat stuff. For the hills with trees, I use the 26 HP ATV with tow behind mower from DR attached. It is separate and goes into smaller spaces, maneuvers nicely between trees and, being separate pieces, I can unhook easily if need be. I only had to do that once. It will also offset and mow at an angle.

Right now, I don't think there are any PF rules or manuals to give us an idea of safe or not when mowing a hill. I like the idea of getting an experienced veteran tractor driver to give advice (or sympathy) when tackling an unknown hill.

Keep a fresh change of pants at all times.

Good luck,

Burt

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
I've found that the perception of angles doesnt come across that well in photos.

I've climbed a few steep hills on the dirt bike and thought I had really done something, took a pic and showed it to others and they're like, that doesn't look that steep.

Just sayn...

squirm

Equipment
2320HSD
Sep 10, 2013
sacramento
A couple more pics for reference....Yes to valve stems for water injection, I have those and will fill.
All, great comments, highly appreciated.
When on these hills doing loader work, it feels tipsy, maybe I just don't have the experience yet. When I'm out in my Gator, I don't get that feeling at all.

"I've found that the perception of angles doesnt come across that well in photos."
True, the slope rate (rise/run) in some areas is about 2.5/10, give or take some (in other areas, it's less).

Attachments

Last edited:

lsmurphy

Equipment
B7001
Oct 19, 2012
Parrrottsville TN

Very doable.

The only safety feature you possess is what's between your ears.

Loading the tires creates a new lower center of gravity.

Know your plan of attack. Where I think most get into trouble is not so much the slope itself but the low spots and high spots within the slope that cause the tractor to become unsettled.

Once you come to realize the tractor will not tip in a particular area you will gain confidence.

Harvey9

Equipment
BX 1850 with loader, mower and back blade.
Jun 12, 2013
Hantsport, Nova Scotia
I've found that the perception of angles doesnt come across that well in photos.

I've climbed a few steep hills on the dirt bike and thought I had really done something, took a pic and showed it to others and they're like, that doesn't look that steep.

Just sayn...
I agree, and those last 2 photos look much steeper than the first 3. Do as the others have recommended and you'll be much better off. Good luck.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Judgement calls can be tough to make and almost always get you in trouble. On slopes like in the last two pictures, follow your gut instinct and go up and down for safe measure.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
If it really bothers you, perhaps a few sheep,, they will keep a field like that cleaned up in no time at all, and come late fall you can stick them in the freezer of take them to the auction, and get some new ones in the spring, I'm not trying to be a smart arse just another way to take care of a problem. I did that with a lower field where I use to lease for my horses, and after 3 months the thing looked like a golf course.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
One aspect of roll over stability that seems to escape some tractor drivers is that the front axle, which pivots, offers no sideways roll over stability until it reaches its stops by which time one rear tire is in the air. The rear axle is where stability is derived. Anything you can do to add weight below the rear axle is a big help. Ballasting the tires accomplishes this. A weight box carried low down will also help. A wider rear track is another way to gain stability. If you are worried about ascending a slope, back up it. If you drive up the slope the rotational torque of the rear axle can lift the front of the tractor off the ground, like a motorcycle doing a wheelie.
http://www.empirelevel.com/squares/protractors/
Buy a cheap magnetic base protractor and stick it on your tractor for a while to get a real reading of the slopes you are needing to navigate. They are $30 or less at most lumber stores.
Dave M7040

Rotel1974

Lifetime Member

Equipment
mx5100,FEL 72'' grapple,straight,tooth bucket THRD84,JD60tiller,
Aug 24, 2011
Nokomis,IL USA
If you are filling the tires for rollover protection only fill them half full to keep the weight below the axle. From your location you may need to add calcium to prevent freezing.

lsmurphy

Equipment
B7001
Oct 19, 2012
Parrrottsville TN
If you are filling the tires for rollover protection only fill them half full to keep the weight below the axle. From your location you may need to add calcium to prevent freezing.
I have mine filled to about 90%.

Wheels rust in the presence of oxygen, keep'm submerged.

Also, his wheels/tires are so small that 50% will not be enough weight.

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
Naw, we don't get a hard freeze in the Sacramento Valley enough to freeze ballast in tires.

By the photos it appears the location is in the foothills, maybe 1000 - 2000 feet. Occasionally a snowflake or two but nothing extreme.

To the OP: There is a Kubota dealer in Auburn if you don't already know. He/She should be able to help you in your situation.

camembert

Equipment
B7100HST, 2 mowers, post hole borer, backhoe, roller, log splitter
Jun 13, 2013
Hampshire, UK
I live on a hilly area. Frankly many times when I'm using my B2320, I feel like it might rollover. That's the last thing I want to happen. I ALWAYS wear my seat belt tight with the ROPs up, but frankly I still feel unsafe.

It looks like I'm a newbie but OTT deleted all my details in their software glitch a while back - I've been on the forum for a few years now!

I had a similar apprehension when I started tractoring on my hilly (20 - 25%) farm fields. I mow up and down the slope, of course, but you have to turn round at the top so you always have to deal with a side slope somewhere.

I fitted a ROPS and widened the rear track which made things feel safer. I experimented cautiously on side slopes - finding a spot on which I felt uncomfortable, then getting off and pushing on the ROPS to try to tip it over. Didn't budge. I came to the conclusion that there is a long way to go after you feel scared. I didn't say it can't be done, but your instinct for safety is probably more reliable than you suppose.

The conclusion I've reached is that if I stay on my shiny plastic seat without sliding to one side, I'm OK. If I have to start clinging to something to stop sliding off, I'm too close to disaster. Of course it depends on the tractor and the implements you have fitted so it's not an accurate guide.

Always play safe and err on the side of caution - but, unless you're being stupid, you're probably safer than you think.

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
Here is what I did where a new tractor was to be used. I arranged with a neighbor to help. What we did was take my tractor along the steepest parts. Attached to the tractor at a high point, such as the roll bar base was a rope that went up hill to another tractor with rope attached low on the back end. Then we stopped the tractor and, with the rope a little slack, we tried to tip it over by hand with operator sitting on the down-hill side also. That extra push showed it to be quite safe. This tractor had liquid ballast in the rear tires, a rear towed mower. Later I tried it with a belly mower on another tractor, and no problem noted.

I also used that technique for checking a lawn tractor on side hill mowing.

One obvious clue is when your up-hill rear tire starts to lose traction. Steering up-hill is safer than turning down hill. You want to put your center of gravity higher up hill than the lowest support (rear tire).

RDR

Equipment
M5400,B6100E,K008,L175,TG1860Diesel,JD355D,3)Leyland 154D's,YM2000,IH1466
Oct 13, 2009
Danevang, Tx.
Loading tires also stops bouncing with less air in the tire. If you don't have tubes in the tires I wouldn't load them with water or anything corrosive. I have water in all of my tractor tires with tubes. No freezing problem here either.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
ANd I loaded mine with a 50/50 mix of anti freeze, right up to the valve stems amazing the difference it makes

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I safely traversed these slopes today while aerating. On the steepest parts I could not back the aerator up while on the ground, the rear tires spun to bad.

Attachments

squirm

Equipment
2320HSD
Sep 10, 2013
sacramento
All thanks for the great advice and help. I will purchase the inclometer.

Last question, when filling the tires, what is the optimal fill level for stability? half, 2/3, full or ???
Also, where can I purchase some wheel spacers?

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Filling the tires approximately 80% full works great, never (and really hard to do) fill 100%. Less will not give you the weight that you need for it to work efficiently.
One thing is that even though you don't freeze, calcium chloride, or better yet rim guard (beet juice), gives a better weight to volume ratio.

I've found that spacers can be had off of EBay, but most any tire supply company can get them.

turlough

Equipment
L3200, Woods RD60,king kutter 5ft box blade
Oct 27, 2013
arkansas
Mowing or even loader work on slopes can be done much safer if rather than working along the slope or up and down you mow on a 45 degree angle. Doing that will change a 2:1 slope to a more comfortable and safer 4:1. A 4:1 slope becomes an 8:1.