help with glow plug issue

tcbro

Equipment
L185, Woods L59 mower, rear blade, L-225, Kubota FEL
Mar 10, 2010
Coatesville, PA
Jes,

I wasn't trying to be negative, I was trying to be helpful. You just joined this site and I didn't know your experience. There have been many newcomers on here who don't know anything about these tractors. I was just trying to make sure you knew the proper procedure.

I don't think I'd be so snotty to someone with the same model that I have, who might be able to help me in the future. See if I try to help you again.

Tom

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Jes,

..... I'll aslo comment that on both my L185 and my L225 the coil doesn't glow for at least 30-40 seconds. I've always assumed that it reflected what the glow plugs were doing, when it glowed the plugs were glowing and it was hot enough to start....

30-40 seconds? Wow I seem to remember mine glowing a little quicker than that but maybe I'm misremembering. It was 60°F out when it was last in one piece though.
Yeah I know old thread. but it covered a bit more of the info I for tackling my bota glow issues, so now just asking further questions to clarify. So thinking my coil or something else is bad/disconnected etc. on my L225. Tractor starts... not too easy now that it is cold of course. I was hoping (but deep down doubting) that my coil had not been coming on cause it was warm enough to not need it previously when turning key left to "Glow", but now its cold and it still does not come on. When I bought it the seller did hold it at glow to start. I did not look to see if it turned red at the time.

Im going to try as another thread mentioned to toy with key position in case it's little off and "far" left is not where the switch contacts any more, but instead maybe just before. If not that got testing to do. Open to any other suggestions.

Now back to topic of the post quotes above...... anyone else find it 30- 40 seconds as mentioned above on the L225 or similar?

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Simple put a test light on the glow plug wire, turn the key backwards, if it lights, then the indicator coil is fine and the glow plugs are getting power.
If it doesn't light go to the next step to verify that the plugs are wired to the switch, but regardless the indicator coil is either bad or mis-wired.

Now turn the key to crank, while cranking the glow plugs should be getting power again so the test light should show that.

If neither times you get power you have a wiring issue.

The time involved to properly heat the plugs is based upon heat and condition of every component in the system, my B7100 is about 30 to 60 sec, My L (which is way newer) is only about 10 sec max.
So on an old L, 30 sec sound about right.
But that is why they put an active glow plug indicator in the system instead of just a light, if the indicator is glowing red so should the glow plugs.

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
Simple put a test light on the glow plug wire, turn the key backwards, if it lights, then the indicator coil is fine and the glow plugs are getting power.
Just my experience with my L275.

Tested glow plugs, they tested good.
Tested glow plug indicator, tested good.
Tested all wires related to glow plug circuit, tested good.
Someone told me, (do not remember who), that the glow plug indicator could test/glow and still be bad. Replaced indicator and got a very noticeable difference in how the glow plugs worked.

Again, just my experience with my L275.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Glow-Plug-I...231?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58b759ced7

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I had GP not working on my L305 about 2 months ago. In the end it was one of the GP wires not having good contact. All of the wires to the GP's have to be a complete circuit.

I had the dash off. Checked wiring at the switch. Checked the GP indicator (even bought and installed a new one). THEN I checked the wires on the Glow Plugs!! Wrong sequence. I should have started at the glow plugs.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I had the wire cooked to my gp's in a hard to reach location. Checked the switch and indicator, checked connections to the gp's and they were good. When I got fed up and went to run a new wire to the gp's, I found the wires melted and stuck to the side of the engine block. :rolleyes:

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
...on an old L, 30 sec sound about right.
But that is why they put an active glow plug indicator in the system instead of just a light, if the indicator is glowing red so should the glow plugs.
Here Here to logic in simplicity.

Thanks.