Help runaway diesel.

Egoldizen

Equipment
Kabota L3400
Feb 27, 2023
St. Louis
Hey guys I have a 2006 L3400. The other day I was just driving a field and it ran away. Black smoke and high rev. I waited a bit and started it back up. Everything seemed fine, I drove it back home and parked it. Everything looks fine, but I am a little nervous, I don’t want to ruin the motor. Any suggestions or things to check? Thanks!

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
I don’t know your machine but of course excess fuel or oil was being fed to the engine. I just wanted to mention that it would be a good idea to have something ready to block the air intake completely before starting again to stop a run away.

Reactions: 3 users

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Hey guys I have a 2006 L3400. The other day I was just driving a field and it ran away. Black smoke and high rev. I waited a bit and started it back up. Everything seemed fine, I drove it back home and parked it. Everything looks fine, but I am a little nervous, I don’t want to ruin the motor. Any suggestions or things to check? Thanks!
Check you engine oil level and or your hydraulic oil levels......... any of them low?

Reactions: 1 users

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
Checked, My hydraulic was low. Will that cause a runaway
A diesel engine can runaway when ANY source of fuel gets into the intake plenum (engine-oil, hydraulic -fluid...etc) Engine oil can get into the intake thru bad seal within turbocharger. There are not many ways for hydraulic to get into intake. Another reason for runaway can be governor-failure.

As other folks have suggested, it is a good idea to have a PLAN to kill the engine if runaway happens.

For example: If engine oil is getting past turbocharger-seal.... the engine will NOT be able to be shutdown using normal means. (like the off switch)

THE ONLY WAY TO KILL ENGINE IS TO BLOCK AIRFLOW INTO THE INTAKE PLENUM. a block of wood to cover the air-intake is often used.

Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Start it and immediately and quickly feel the exhaust manifold right where it leaves the head, do any of the ports stay cold while it's warming up?

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
Have you checked your fuel cut-off solenoid? Sometimes it's the obvious things.

If you have a CO2 or a halon fire extinguisher, keep it with the tractor. You can put either one into the intake of a runaway engine with no harm to the engine. It will stop the runaway.

Do NOT use a dry chemical extinguisher! You will ruin the engine.

arml

Equipment
B5100e BX2200 JD455AWS JD425
Jan 27, 2022
Pennsylvania
Do not use your hand to block off intake if you have a runaway.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Do not use your hand to block off intake if you have a runaway.
Use a coffee can or something sturdy…not hand, paper, or such.

Vlach7

Equipment
L47 305DT JD500C
Dec 16, 2021
Frazier Park Ca
If you can turn it off with the key that is not a "Run Away" , had that happen with my old JD, fixed it with a rebuilt fuel injector pump. I don't know if yours has a turbo, a bad turbo can give LOTS of black smoke when its burning oil.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
This is very much a fluke, Kubota engines very very very rarely ever have any issue even close to this.
The last one that I worked on that the owner swore up and down ran away, only revved to the limit because of a broken return spring, no where near a run away.

I would say the most likely cause is either fuel contamination, seen several with gasoline in the "100% Pure Diesel" or a bad / failing injector!

Last edited:

Egoldizen

Equipment
Kabota L3400
Feb 27, 2023
St. Louis
Ok thanks! I am going to check some of these things. I will let you know. Thanks for all the help!! A note: the key was off and would not kill the engine.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Is the engine oil higher than it should be, could the hydraulic fluid be getting into the engine and then causing it to get into the cylinders somehow?

You mentioned that the hydraulic fluid was low so I am curious how low and where that fluid is now…

Egoldizen

Equipment
Kabota L3400
Feb 27, 2023
St. Louis
Well, I had a friend of mine who is a diesel mechanic come by. I Had just had the oil changed and they had it way overfilled. He said that when it thinned down that it can blow by and run away. No diesel smell in oil. Changed oil and filter, and ran it tonight for 45 min. No problem. I will have a block of wood under the hood incase this ever happens again. Thanks for all the advice! You guys are great.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Well, I had a friend of mine who is a diesel mechanic come by. I Had just had the oil changed and they had it way overfilled. He said that when it thinned down that it can blow by and run away. No diesel smell in oil. Changed oil and filter, and ran it tonight for 45 min. No problem. I will have a block of wood under the hood incase this ever happens again. Thanks for all the advice! You guys are great.
How low was the hydraulic fluid? Did they happen to drain the transmission instead of the engine when they serviced it? Not sure if it’s a gear or hst trans, but if it’s a gear drive I would definitely make sure the hydraulic level is correct before driving it.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Keep an eye on both the engine oil level and the hydraulic oil level, as a bad seal on a hydraulic pump will move oil from the hydraulic system to the engines oil system.