FYI block heater is P/N 70000-92500 and about $60

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It should be the right one, just call them and verify that it comes with the 32mm adapter to fit the freeze plug port.

Install is done on the left side in one of the front plug holes that are accessible.

No special bleeding/purging required, drain coolant, remove old plug, install adapter, install heater, refill with coolant. ;)

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
OH no... Worst case scenario is grabbing the hair dryer, running down the intake manifold for 20 minutes at 1500watts until you start melting the hair dryer, then with judicious starter fluid (do not use on a newer diesel engine!) and about 18V of starting juice, getting your 1958 hunk of iron to actually start in sub zero weather... and enduring the chew out session from your significant other over the hair dryer...

That's WORST case successful scenario. :D

RidiculouslyNecessary

Equipment
L3010 HST
Oct 7, 2014
Missouri
OH no... Worst case scenario is grabbing the hair dryer, running down the intake manifold for 20 minutes at 1500watts until you start melting the hair dryer, then with judicious starter fluid (do not use on a newer diesel engine!) and about 18V of starting juice, getting your 1958 hunk of iron to actually start in sub zero weather... and enduring the chew out session from your significant other over the hair dryer...

Thanks Wolfman, I will take a look and see how easy that plug is to get to. When you say left side, you are referring to what would be drivers side in a vehicle?

I have had to do the hairdryer thing when my PSD had 5 dead glows at +10 F. Starter fluid for me is a very very last resort, unless its an old school deal that can take it. I wouldn't let my father in law use it on my PSD. To date I have never had to use it. Ill use a hairdryer or something else for heat first

Last edited:

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine

When I was about 6 years old I remember my father doing the following to get a tractor started at -30+. Thermometer only went to -30.

Bring battery inside and put near the wood stove.
Drain coolant out of engine and heat it to a boil on the wood stove.
Pour boiling coolant into tractor, let set 5 - 10 min.
Drain coolant, reheat and pour back into engine.
Replace battery, small shot of starting fluid, cross fingers and turn the key.

Repeat as needed.

aaaaaah, the good old days.:cool:

RidiculouslyNecessary

Equipment
L3010 HST
Oct 7, 2014
Missouri
When I was about 6 years old I remember my father doing the following to get a tractor started at -30+. Thermometer only went to -30.

Bring battery inside and put near the wood stove.
Drain coolant out of engine and heat it to a boil on the wood stove.
Pour boiling coolant into tractor, let set 5 - 10 min.
Drain coolant, reheat and pour back into engine.
Replace battery, small shot of starting fluid, cross fingers and turn the key.

Repeat as needed.

aaaaaah, the good old days.:cool:
Why not go 100% and drain and heat the oil? lol Those are some cold temps. We average 15-40 here in the winter, it's all over the place. Lot's of ice, snow melts if you have a warm day, and freezes at night. We usually get a few snaps in February and it will hit -10 F give or take.

I have an interest in rocket mass heaters, and 55 gallon drum stoves. I could put one in the barn but that is terribly inefficient having to go 200 yards to put in more wood. But that doesn't mean I'm not looking for a practical excuse to do it!

Last edited:

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
My father's story is that he used to work logging when he was a teenager and they had gas pony engines to start the logging trucks. These trucks had no power steering and their steering wheels were about 6 feet in diameter because it took that much force to turn the front wheels, geared down of course. So you know how ancient these trucks are. They used to have to build fires under the engines to heat them up enough so the pony motors could turn them over. Every morning in the winter they got up at 4:30am, started fires under the trucks, went to breakfast and by the time they got back to the trucks they could start the pony motors and get the trucks turning over.

So, no need to drain and refill, just light up the whole motor! LOL! :D

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
Why not go 100% and drain and heat the oil? lol Those are some cold temps.
Yes, he did that also but only when It got real cold.;):D

I remember a couple weeks when the temp never moved the thermometer off -30 even during the "heat" of the day.

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
A picture of my father logging when he was in his early twenties. Here he was breaking a trail so they could then pull the logs to the yard.

Attachments

RidiculouslyNecessary

Equipment
L3010 HST
Oct 7, 2014
Missouri
Old school tractor right there!

Can someone help me with float for the FEL? I pushed the stick up into what I believe is float, but the arms press down and lift the tractor up a bit. Is that what its supposed to do? I cannot tell if the bucket is in the float position because of that.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Old school tractor right there!

Can someone help me with float for the FEL? I pushed the stick up into what I believe is float, but the arms press down and lift the tractor up a bit. Is that what its supposed to do? I cannot tell if the bucket is in the float position because of that.
There is a long thread in here about float and how to check it etc. Thick it was a thread about a valve and wondering if it was working right or how to use it right etc. Hmmmm.. try a search for the terms: Float, Stump that should get it for you.

Edit- had a second and searched it. Here's the link http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15941&highlight=Float+stump

Last edited:

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
How many horsepower is that tractor unit? :D
:confused: One horse equals one horsepower. :p :D
Burns hay for fuel, sips water for coolant, plows the field and fertilizes it at the same time. What more could you want? :cool:

RidiculouslyNecessary

Equipment
L3010 HST
Oct 7, 2014
Missouri
There is a long thread in here about float and how to check it etc. Thick it was a thread about a valve and wondering if it was working right or how to use it right etc. Hmmmm.. try a search for the terms: Float, Stump that should get it for you.

Edit- had a second and searched it. Here's the link http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15941&highlight=Float+stump
Thanks, that confirms some of what I experienced. Ill play with it this week!

Marty394

Equipment
L3010 w/ Cab, RCR 1560, RB 1584, SMC Loader, KK II 60" Gear Drive Tiller
Feb 28, 2010
Wisconsin
You're in Mo., what do you need a heater for?? Here in Wi. my L3010 has a heater in the lower radiator hose that Iv'e never used. It has started at -12*F for me multiple times. Just cycle the glow plugs a couple of times, and run a light oil in the winter.

Bob.

RidiculouslyNecessary

Equipment
L3010 HST
Oct 7, 2014
Missouri
You're in Mo., what do you need a heater for?? Here in Wi. my L3010 has a heater in the lower radiator hose that Iv'e never used. It has started at -12*F for me multiple times. Just cycle the glow plugs a couple of times, and run a light oil in the winter.

Bob.
Bob, I would tend to agree. When all my glows were working I didn't have a problem starting my trucks at any temp, lowest I tried here was -9. They were DI's though, I have never owned an IDI. I have only the word of the previous keeper to go on, and I have enough faith in him to know to cycle glows, good battery, etc. and he said single digits and lower it won't start. (I still want to try for myself though, and probably will lol.) In either case I have no intention putting myself in a position to be caught with my pants down. Rather over-prepare. We have 55 addresses in our subdivision and those without 4x4 will not be able to get out when we get enough snow. It needs to start. I do know they don't run light oil in the winter. I may change it soon.

Last edited: