Hauling a Kubota BX on a 10 foot trailer

tiredguy

Equipment
B3030 HSTC,B2781 51" front mounted snowblower,60" MMM
Jan 21, 2010
northern lower Michigan
Looking at the picture it wasn't the trailer that was to light, it was the fact that the tractor was on frontwards and I personally would have backed it on
then hung the loader over the ramp gate if I had to in order to balance it out. My 2 cents worth of course but I don't like hauling anything with any weight to it on a single axle trailer at all.
Taking it slow and easy avoiding higher traffic areas etc helps make a short trip with not the perfect setup gets it done as I've been there and done that lots of times too.
Al

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
When I haul mine, (sorry, no pics) I back it on, and set the backhoe bucket on a piece of plywood that sits atop the spare tire that is mounted horizontally on the diagonal braces for the tongue. I then set the FEL bucket on the top of the tailgate, as suggested above. A large piece of cardboard folded over a few times protects the paint on the tailgate & FEL.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Don't do this!

Trailer is rated for 5000lb. My friend towed this trailer with his 350 Ford Diesel 85 miles to my house... with L3800, FEL, and a 800lb rototiller on the 3pt. He has a green tractor and kept telling me his was the same size. Not quite.

I borrowed the trailer to take it in for service on this day. Found out my Toyota only has a 3500lb towing capacity -including trailer. I kept it around 40 mph and started stopping about 1/4 away. The trailer brakes were very good, thankfully.

Awesome trailer in every way, except capacity.

Attachments

00Formula

Oct 14, 2014
Tennessee
Just wanted to update this post to answer some questions.

The trailer has a 2-3/8" diameter axle, so it's rated for 3500lbs. What I meant to say is that I didn't have a sticker on the trailer providing it's capacity, like 2990 lbs.
Tires are rated for 1700-1800 lbs each.
Trailers with load ratings under 3000 lbs don't require brakes.
The tractor weighs 1466lbs and the loader weighs 620lbs per Kubota. Total of 2086lbs.
As others noted the trailer probably weighs 500-700lbs.
As noted the Xterra is a body on frame SUV, just like a truck, and is rated to tow 5000 lbs. The capacity of the tow vehicle exceeds the trailer + load by almost double.
The Xterra has large brakes that didn't feel overloaded by the trailer.
The trailer is pitched up, but only because the receiver is located high on the tow vehicle, and the ball was mounted above the bracket. It could be flipped over to level out the load.
There was sufficient tongue weight as the rear shocks were loaded, and the load never bounced or tracked poorly.

I normally pull this trailer with a Hyundai Santa Fe that's FWD and rated for 3500lbs towing and it's never had a problem towing. I chose to use the Xterra because it's rated for a little more capacity and it's a body on frame RWD SUV.

I appreciate the concern, but trailers and vehicles have load ratings that are determined by their design and capacity. Neither the load on the trailer or the tow vehicle were exceeded in this instance. I understand a double axle 16' trailer might make it easier and have a higher safety factor, but that trailer can also haul a full sized truck that weighs over 5000lbs.

Last edited:

Ezlife45

Equipment
B2650
Jun 5, 2014
Louisiana
Once or twice or short trips, maybe. On a regular basis, I would get a larger two axle trailer.
I hauled my B2650 once with FEL and box blade on a 10' trailer. Did it because I did not have time to get the big trailer out. Never again. Was too squirrely. And I towed with a full size 4 door truck.