Hauling a Kubota BX on a 10 foot trailer

00Formula

Oct 14, 2014
Tennessee
I recently purchased a BX2670-1 and needed to transport it between my father's house and my house. I checked the weight on the tractor + loader (~2100lbs) and the capacity of similar trailers (2995lbs and the trailer probably weighs 900lbs) as I bought my trailer used so it had no rating, and this combo is right at the limit weight wise. I transported the deck and the box blade on the trailer, but on a second trip. The tractor and the loader fit, but it was a tight fit to keep a decent weight distribution. I wanted to post this as other people have asked if the BX will fit on a 10' single axle trailer. It will if that's all you have to use. I only hauled it a few miles, and it pulled fine, I just don't think I would haul it this way for a long trip. Also, I know the front straps should have been further back to hold the tractor "down", and I'm sure I committed other hualing offenses.

Update on page 3 and below.

Just wanted to update this post to answer some questions.

The trailer has a 2-3/8" diameter axle, so it's rated for 3500lbs. What I meant to say is that I didn't have a sticker on the trailer providing it's capacity, like 2990 lbs.
Tires are rated for 1700-1800 lbs each.
Trailers with load ratings under 3000 lbs don't require brakes.
The tractor weighs 1466lbs and the loader weighs 620lbs per Kubota. Total of 2086lbs.
As others noted the trailer probably weighs 500-700lbs.
As noted the Xterra is a body on frame SUV, just like a truck, and is rated to tow 5000 lbs. The capacity of the tow vehicle exceeds the trailer + load by almost double.
The Xterra has large brakes that didn't feel overloaded by the trailer.
The trailer is pitched up, but only because the receiver is located high on the tow vehicle, and the ball was mounted above the bracket. It could be flipped over to level out the load.
There was sufficient tongue weight as the rear shocks were loaded, and the load never bounced or tracked poorly.

I normally pull this trailer with a Hyundai Santa Fe that's FWD and rated for 3500lbs towing and it's never had a problem towing. I chose to use the Xterra because it's rated for a little more capacity and it's a body on frame RWD SUV.

I appreciate the concern, but trailers and vehicles have load ratings that are determined by their design and capacity. Neither the load on the trailer or the tow vehicle were exceeded in this instance. I understand a double axle 16' trailer might make it easier and have a higher safety factor, but that trailer can also haul a full sized truck that weighs over 5000lbs.

Last edited:

Dieselbob

Equipment
BX 2230, LA211 loader, 60â€￾ MMM, 2â€￾ wheel spacers, grille guard, gauges, bucket e
Nov 17, 2014
Fort Wayne IN
Your tow vehicle looks like it's sitting level, so the whole think doesn't seem to bad to me. I wouldn't be afraid to haul it that way. I am working on a deal to buy a used two horse horse trailer that I can cut the body off of and have a short tandem axle trailer with brakes. I think that would be a perfect BX hauler.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
That would make me nervous!!! Not trying to be a d$$$, but what happens if you have a blow out? Much safer with a tandom axle with that much weight. If you have a blow it, it might sway some. Blow out on that style trailer and that one side can turn into an anchor. Had a coworker get tossed off the road suddenly do to a blow out. Did about 5k in damage to the equipment and snapped the tongue off the trailer.

Check your tire ratings. And also check the axle. Some axles come through stamped or have a tag that has the load rating. Might get lucky and have the axle marked

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
Not all trailers are created equal.
5-ft x 10-ft Treated Lumber Utility Trailer with Ramp Gate

Trailer | Brand : Tractor Supply Co.®

Product Type : Open

Application : Utility

Payload Capacity : 2,115 lb.

Gross Vehicle Weight Rating : 2,990 lb.

Bed Width : 5 ft. | Bed Length : 10 ft. | Floor Type : Wood | Number of Axles : 1
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/sto...l-wood-floor-trailer-2000-lb-payload-capacity

As you do not know the correct weight rating, you are assuming yours is the latter, 2115 lb. Not an assumption I would make. This trailer does not have breaks and you have a smaller tow vehicle, not a good combination. Agree on the previous single vs tandem assessment and that the axle should have a weight rating on it. In a hard breaking situation, can your vehicle stop itself and the trailer in a reasonable distance or will it push your vehicle a long distance, jackknife it or or worst cause it to roll over.

Personally I would not do it but others will disagree.

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
Overkill is under rated. get a dual axle trailer and sell off this one. never worry about it again, and you can transport it with the implements together

mwe060

Equipment
BX 2370-1 60'MMM FEL R4
Nov 19, 2014
Little Rock, AR
Nice trailer, I have to agree with others that it is on the small size.

I would sale/trade it or put sides on it and use for small brush and firewood.

You really need a heavier trailer with brakes, more so with the xtera.

Also, that bucket looks like a great tail light breaker.

If this trailer is only to move it couple miles on back roads I could see being ok with it.Anything more; get more trailer.

Dieselbob

Equipment
BX 2230, LA211 loader, 60â€￾ MMM, 2â€￾ wheel spacers, grille guard, gauges, bucket e
Nov 17, 2014
Fort Wayne IN
A couple of points. According to the specs I found, that tactor (bare) weighs about 1400 LBS. I'm not sure about the loader weight, but it doesn't seem like you would be up to 2100. Yes, you should try to accurately determine the weight rating on the trailer, but honestly, the limiting factor on these trailers is usually the tires as much as anything. If you have tire with a good enough weight rating, I wouldn't get too concerned, especially if you are not trucking down the interstate. I routinely haul 1 ton plus of rock or dirt on a little six foot single axle trailer (hand built) behind an S10, and as long as you use common sense, it is no issue to keep it under control. Be extra extra careful on wet roads though.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
There are a lot of variables, and obviously the trailer itself handled the weight fine.
If's and but's can drive you crazy.
The trailer ramp handled the weight, the trailer isn't bowing, obviously it towed fine (weight was distributed forward enough), and that trailer has larger tires- a lot of 8 and 10 foot trailers run smaller ones.
I would be comfortable transporting a BX on that trailer for short distances, and the one concern that I would have would be braking. I would either use a larger tow vehicle, or a trailer with brakes.
I would tie it down more securely. In the event of an accident, you want the tractor to stay on the trailer.
Trailers are conservatively rated. Unless that trailer is real puny, it is heavy enough for that load.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
At the risk of calling down the wrath of the safety police, I haul my B7100 on a 10 x 6 single axle trailer behind my 4wd crew cab F350. But it's not the bare minimum crap from Homer Depot & the like. The trailer, axle, rims, and tires all rated at 3500lbs or higher. I had it custom built to haul my Rhino, and would have gone larger except I'm limited in parking area, and the ability to wrestle it into said parking area. (it's hell getting old) I even had a blowout with the original cheapo Carlisle tires while hauling my Rhino, a set of paddle tires, 10 extra gals of fuel, & a small generator. It tracked perfectly, with no bad habits- I simply pulled over & put on the spare. I await the barrage...:rolleyes:

PS- I tie the tractor down 3/8" chain & ratchet & lever type load binders in 4 places, then strap any implements with ratchet straps.

Last edited:

Patrick BX

Equipment
BX2660 w/ LA243 Loader and RCK60B23BX
Nov 13, 2014
Midland, MI
Xterra's and Frontiers have larger brakes than most 1/2 ton trucks and are rated to tow 5000 lbs. In fact my '06 Frontier is rated to tow 6000 lbs. I hauled my 2660 with loader and 60" mmm home on the highway (70 mph) with no trailer brakes and you couldn't tell. It was on a 16' tandem though. My previous truck was an '02 Xterra. They are great trucks.

Attachments

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
If the axel has room to move (not bottomed out or just above bottoming out) it should be good. I would worry about the stopping power so I'd have that tested on a calm street someplace, working my way up to 40mph. If it behaves well and the vehicle handles it in a reasonable distance, then you should be good.

I'd be most worried about balance, if the rears are weighted, how much weight was on the tongue, etc. Single axel transfers all that stopping weight to the tongue so hopefully your hitch and tongue assembly can handle it.

If you are going to make a habit of this, I'd add another axel under that trailer with brakes on it and a stopping package.

mwe060

Equipment
BX 2370-1 60'MMM FEL R4
Nov 19, 2014
Little Rock, AR
Xterra's and Frontiers have larger brakes than most 1/2 ton trucks and are rated to tow 5000 lbs. In fact my '06 Frontier is rated to tow 6000 lbs. I hauled my 2660 with loader and 60" mmm home on the highway (70 mph) with no trailer brakes and you couldn't tell. It was on a 16' tandem though. My previous truck was an '02 Xterra. They are great trucks.
6000 lbs goes away QUICK. remember you have to subtract your trucks payload and you can never exceed that payload. Best to have the tongue weight on truck to figure this out.

Ie. 300 in passengers + 100 in cargo. =400 lbs of payload. Plus the trailer puts say 300 Lbs on the truck. = 700 lbs of your GRVW if you only have a max payload of 600lbs. trouble arises quick as you will never reach that 5000lbs rated tow weight.

I always cautioned people about the whole Trailer tow rating vs payload rating. it is often way over looked. I'm pretty country tho so i do somethimes opt for the " ahhh, it will be fine "

Goodluck and be safe in all reguards

Patrick BX

Equipment
BX2660 w/ LA243 Loader and RCK60B23BX
Nov 13, 2014
Midland, MI
6000 lbs goes away QUICK. remember you have to subtract your trucks payload and you can never exceed that payload. Best to have the tongue weight on truck to figure this out.

Ie. 300 in passengers + 100 in cargo. =400 lbs of payload. Plus the trailer puts say 300 Lbs on the truck. = 700 lbs of your GRVW if you only have a max payload of 600lbs. trouble arises quick as you will never reach that 5000lbs rated tow weight.

I always cautioned people about the whole Trailer tow rating vs payload rating. it is often way over looked. I'm pretty country tho so i do somethimes opt for the " ahhh, it will be fine "

Goodluck and be safe in all reguards
The point being that hauling a 2000 pound tractor is more than within the safe limits of the vehicle being used. These BX's weigh less than a typical small car.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Now the dealer when he "hired" the driver to deliver my BX-25D to my house, came with the Bx on a single axle 12' long trailer - I was SHOCKED !!!! the hoe was turned as far as it could be and the bucket was overhanging the front of the trailer!!! WHEN HE backed it down the freaking rear end of the truck almost came off the ground!!! I shyte you not .....I was thinking dear God......

anywho - it made it in one piece!!

The first time I rolled up and down on my 14' DOUBLE axle, it about raised the tail end of the SUV!

ON another note - since that time- I made something that you see on large trailers, it is a "foot" that I made out of 2x10 - I took one piece about 12" long and then turned another piece under it forming a T --- the trailer then squat and presses down on it taking the load off the ball and tongue.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
The point being that hauling a 2000 pound tractor is more than within the safe limits of the vehicle being used. These BX's weigh less than a typical small car.

I think the most concern is if the trailer is safe to haul it. Inlaws hauled my l1501 around for the 5 years they had it with an envoy, and 16ft tandom trailer. Tractor Weighs in right at 2000lbs, plus the scraper blade or bush hog. Trailer was long enough so they could balance the load. Towed weight was about 4000lbs. The longer trailer gave them the room to adjust the position of the tractor so if they hit a bump it didn't pick the back tires off the ground and throw them in a ditch.
If the op happens to load the tires on the bx, or adds rear weight it could change the front to back weight ratio, to where it's a dangerous situation.

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
I think you did just fine, and I commend you for subjecting yourself to the judgment of the safety police to demonstrate what can be done.

Just for fun you should run that combo over a scale if you ever have the opportunity.

Oct 8, 2014
oregon
LilFoot is right about attachments having to be strapped/chained. I like chains but if you use straps put a twist in them so they don't get that flutter.

Leyland

Equipment
BX25D
Oct 31, 2014
Southwestern Ontario
I don't think its a matter of "if" you can do it, its a matter of "is it safe to do it?" in my opinion, with this set up. Not safe at all.

the weight limit of trailer with tractor on it will be maxed out or over capacity. This is never a safe thing to do. More importantly is the size of the tow vehicle than the trailer. mid sized pick up's and SUV's are not great for towing heavy loads. Even if rated at 5,000lbs or 6,000lbs, that will be with a trailer that has brakes, no passengers/cargo, etc. Physical weight of trailer and load in an emergency stop or blowing a tire at speed will throw that little SUV all over the road.

put the same trailer on behind a pick up truck (even without brakes) would be a different story. Or a tandem axle trailer with brakes behind your SUV.... Unfortunately it is human nature, mostly due to the economy to get along with what you have and not to spend money for the "once in a while" that you may use it.... At a minimum, if keeping this trailer, do your self and others a favor and put a proper sized brake-axle system under your trailer and adjust the controller it when towing. about $350-400 to do so or sell and invest in a better trailer. Money that could save a life.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Not all Mid-size pickups and SUV's are the same.

My Dakota is as heavy as most full size pickups (sucks on the gas mileage side... ugh) but with it's tow package and air suspension, I've safely towed loads of 7,000 lbs. It's more of a function of the trailer having brakes or not.

I agree that a light vehicle, a heavy single axle trailer with no brakes is a bad combination. Turn that into a double axle with brakes, and suddenly it's far more safe and as long as it's within the GVW/Tow ratings, it's fine.

I towed a fully loaded single axle (no brakes) that weighed about 2000lbs (full of new plywood) and my truck was only a little slower on the braking and it barely noticed it back there. I can't speak for the Nissan's shown, but the result is highly variable on the vehicle weight and braking power.