Has anyone ever owned or tried one of these

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada

Not necessarily this one but a back pack trimmer as opposed to just a regular trimmer. My old Stihl FS85 is starting to feel it's age like myself, both of us have maybe pushed it a little bit further than we should have. Having a shoulder torn beyond repair I'm just wondering if this may be just a little easier on the old body. Appreciate your input guys.

Reactions: 1 user

michigander

Equipment
B2601
May 29, 2018
Northern Michigan

Not necessarily this one but a back pack trimmer as opposed to just a regular trimmer. My old Stihl FS85 is starting to feel it's age like myself, both of us have maybe pushed it a little bit further than we should have. Having a shoulder torn beyond repair I'm just wondering if this may be just a little easier on the old body. Appreciate your input guys.
That 4 cycle motor looks like the same Honda we have on our Mantis tiller :)
Its quiet and only takes like 2.3 oz. of oil.

ccoon520

Equipment
L2501 w/ FEL
Apr 15, 2019
IA
I have not used one of those or even seen one. Frankly I don't know how well it would work because the rotation would need to be redirected at least 90° then it would still need to swivel to allow for the head to sweep unless you are intended to swing your whole torso. To me it seems to add areas where the motor could get bound.

If you need additional support I do know to that stihl has both straps and double shoulder harnesses for their trimmers that will probably transfer the load almost as good but still have the simple traditional trimmer attached to it. I'm sure other brands have the same things too and should help ease the load significantly.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Guess my even older FS66shpuld probably be replaced but it runs like a top and I'm too cheap to replace it anyway. It's a handlebar with shoulder strap straight shaft model and I have the saw blade too. It will handle a good sized tree no issue.

Most likely be in my estate sale. Stihl stuff lasts forever.

Reactions: 1 user

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
I have one of these Echo trimmers... Very high quality. Made in Japan. Available at HD. Uses the extra heavy gauge string that has a square profile and cuts like mad.

1599583509628.png

I had wanted to try the saw blade attachment so I bought the blade kit for this machine. Comes with a load of bits. Easy on and easy to convert back to string. Take maybe 5 minutes if you label the parts with a sharpie.

The thing I was stunned at is, with the saw blade on, the motor only has to run about half speed, even in deep weeds. It will cut up to half inch woody material and that may take more power but, I don't have any woody brush. Once you get used to the saw blade, there is very little kickback. The blade kit comes with a harness that allows you to put the trimmer weight on your shoulder and then, just pivot back and forth. I am very happy with the saw kit and put it on for applications where the string doesn't quite "cut it," which isn't often.

Attachments

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
I use a Stihl KM131 R (Kombi system). I love it. It does everything in one unit - it is a little heavy though, but I do have the most powerful motor head they make. I have a blower for it, hedge trimmer, weed wacker, brush cutter blade, and pole saw. It runs it all. I also have an extension bar that puts the pole saw out over 12 feet. Its been one of the best outdoor tool purchases Ive ever made.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
WAIT you said honda makes a motor that fits the mantis tiller? I have one and the coil is toast or so the guy told my wife and he wanted 250.00 for a new coil.

michigander

Equipment
B2601
May 29, 2018
Northern Michigan
WAIT you said honda makes a motor that fits the mantis tiller? I have one and the coil is toast or so the guy told my wife and he wanted 250.00 for a new coil.
yep 4 cycle Honda on it :) , here is a link to tiller $399.00 + tax I would have a hard time fixing other one unless special other attachments.

mantis.JPG

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
No experience with that unit you posted, I have basically the same as Tornado minus hedge trimmer and blower but have the tiller head along with string head, brush head, polesaw and extension. But what about this if carrying weight is the issue

C9F7959D-7840-47FA-B6CC-98124E769357.jpeg

down side is from what I see is you buy the yard boss unit as a tiller and can add the wheel kit and string head, but maybe a good stihl dealer could work with you on just getting the trimmer unit?

or this

says it weighs in about 10 pounds and you wouldn’t need to pull start it either. Don’t know which issue was worse with your shoulder.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
You can buy a new tiller for $99.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Echo makes a very nice shoulder harness that has a waist belt so most of the weight is carried on your hips and is very comfortable. I use it with a Echo PAS 365 multi attachment and u bar handles like a true brush cutter. That is comfortable on hands and wrists.

I don’t see any waist belt on what the original poster asked about so I think it would be tough to carry on just shoulders. Neat idea though using the flexible shaft.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
A mantis for 99 bucks??

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Thanks for the input guys, appreciate the help. I guess I'll give a new shoulder harness a try but with the mile long driveway it just seems to get longer every year. Ray I think Echo may be my next trimmer after having an Echo chainsaw. The Stihl is a great trimmer however the Echo is by far the easiest to start and always runs great. I just thought that if one of you had tried the backpack trimmer it would be great to get your feedback. Thanks again.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Thanks for the input guys, appreciate the help. I guess I'll give a new shoulder harness a try but with the mile long driveway it just seems to get longer every year. Ray I think Echo may be my next trimmer after having an Echo chainsaw. The Stihl is a great trimmer however the Echo is by far the easiest to start and always runs great. I just thought that if one of you had tried the backpack trimmer it would be great to get your feedback. Thanks again.
Could you get the tractor mounted trimmer and the the drive would be much less work. I recall that DR Trimmers offer a 3PH PTO driven string trimmer for fence lines and such

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
The other solution is to realize that for this year the weeds/grass have won. It has suddenly turned cold here, feels like mud season under way, snow any time, and so the cold will stifle the edges of your driveway and the snow will bury it. Next year maybe your driveway will look shorter!

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
The other solution is to realize that for this year the weeds/grass have won. It has suddenly turned cold here, feels like mud season under way, snow any time, and so the cold will stifle the edges of your driveway and the snow will bury it. Next year maybe your driveway will look shorter!
Well I must say you shock me sheepfarmer, 2 four little words (cold &snow) and one 3 letter word (mud) all in one sentence, I'm appalled. ;) 😄

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Well guys it looks like I may have been worrying for nothing, pretty sure this will be my last year here, I think it's sold. A buyer had his building inspector in yesterday and we passed with flying colors but until the deal is done its business as usual. Thank you all for taking the time to help me out.