Has anyone actually replaced the HST fan on a BX series tractor?

cal1

Equipment
BX23s
Jul 9, 2011
Battle Ground, WA
Seems like every agrees that this is a really vulnerable part on BX 24 and older machines, a pain to replace and not very well designed (for protection). I've searched everywhere and can't seem to find anyone that has outlined how to replace it. I've ordered the parts and service manual from bigorange manuals but it's taken way too long. Ordered it on the 12th and it just shipped yesterday (22nd) I won't have it in hand until next week. I'd caution anyone ordering things from them to be aware that the "free shipping" has a cost ... time. If you don't need your tractor and it's not in the way, it's no big deal. Fortunately I'm not dependent on it for a job.

Heres the different things I've been told by the local shop mechanics.
  1. You'll need to remove the floor deck and you can replace it from above. NOT true Looks like the rear fenders need to be removed. Not sure what all needs to be done to remove do this
  2. You need to split the tractor NO one has explained what this means
  3. You'll have to disconect the engine mounts and move the engine forward to get enough clearance to slip the fan into place
  4. It takes anywhere from 3-5 hours to replace a $10 part

I've got to believe that damaging the HST fan is not unique, seems like most dealers keep the fan in bench stock. I've heard that BX25's have a skid plate to help prevent a branch from taking out the fan. I'm tired of waiting for the manul to show up. I'm not even sure it it outlines how to replace it. Does anyone have a manual that could fax the pages I need so I can get this back into operation? For something that seems so simple; it's been incredibly frustrating.

Last edited:

KubotaTech

Equipment
None- I get to play with everyone elses stuff
Apr 1, 2010
PA
If you have a BX24 or newer BX series tractor the easiest way to change the fan is to loosen the engine and pick it up enough to move it forward far enough so that you can remove the engine to transmission driveshaft. It isnt a terribly large amount of work but you will need something to lift the engine. You will need to remove the floorboard and the rear fender to access this as well. The older BX tractor fans are able to have the fan replaced by removing the driveshaft without all the other problems of moving the engine. The transmission is much more difficult to move or remove so moving the engine forward is def. the way to do it.

ThisIsNotaStep

Equipment
2005 bx23 tlb
Nov 26, 2010
Ontario, Canada
If you have a BX24 or newer BX series tractor the easiest way to change the fan is to loosen the engine and pick it up enough to move it forward far enough so that you can remove the engine to transmission driveshaft. It isnt a terribly large amount of work but you will need something to lift the engine. You will need to remove the floorboard and the rear fender to access this as well. The older BX tractor fans are able to have the fan replaced by removing the driveshaft without all the other problems of moving the engine. The transmission is much more difficult to move or remove so moving the engine forward is def. the way to do it.
sorry I mislead you, we appreciate good info regardless of where it comes from, the article is on TractorbyNets site, http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...80114-bx-24-transmission-fan-replacement.html

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I just read a long post today on mytractorforum, about a John Deere 2210. Not only does similar steps need to be taken to replace the fan, you have to tear the tractor apart to grease the u-joints. It looks like Kubota isn't the only one with design flaws. The JD/Yanmar actually looks worse to deal with.http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...UWQZiMpTMiQ[/url Be sure to read post #14...

Last edited:

cal1

Equipment
BX23s
Jul 9, 2011
Battle Ground, WA
Do you still have to remove the rear plate under the seat or can you slip the shaft off and drop it enough to replace the fan? The metal rear shield under the seat on a BX24 is humped to give the fan blades rotating clearance. I'm not sure if you move the motor forward it it will hit this hump.

Robocop5626

Equipment
BX23 FEL,BH,MMM
Jul 17, 2010
Alabama
I have a BX23 and sheared off all of the blades of my HST. I ordered two replacement fans for @ $20 and decided to try my luck. Attached are some pics of my process. I tried to compress the propeller shaft enough to slip the new fan in place, but never could work it out. Finally I carefully cut one side of the plastic fan well away from the bolt holes. That allowed me to distort it enough to place it in the necessary location. It was difficult to tighten the bolts because my hands are so large, but i finally got it done. I've had no problems since I managed to replace it.

Attachments

cal1

Equipment
BX23s
Jul 9, 2011
Battle Ground, WA
I finally got mine replaces also. Have you heard about the skid plates to prevent this from repeat? I orderded a set from http://www.bro-tek.com/ Well worth it. I feel confident that this will be the last fan I'll be needing replaced. Wish someone had warned me prior. I would have installed it first thing. I'm not sure why they advertize a front and rear plate. After installing the rear I was confident that it would NOT give good enough protection by itself without modification. The combo of front and rear plates really protect from anything coming up from the bottom of the tractor.

Herm

Sep 20, 2011
Oswego, IL
I have a BX23 and sheared off all of the blades of my HST. I ordered two replacement fans for @ $20 and decided to try my luck. Attached are some pics of my process. I tried to compress the propeller shaft enough to slip the new fan in place, but never could work it out. Finally I carefully cut one side of the plastic fan well away from the bolt holes. That allowed me to distort it enough to place it in the necessary location. It was difficult to tighten the bolts because my hands are so large, but i finally got it done. I've had no problems since I managed to replace it.
I see that you removed the floor deck. I need to do this also, but I can't figure out hoe the PTO knobs come off. Do they screw off, pull off, or is there a special tool?

cal1

Equipment
BX23s
Jul 9, 2011
Battle Ground, WA
Had the same problem. The local dealer tech said they were just pushed on but it seems like they may be glued. I never got them off and don't know if you just need to pull hard and be prepared to buy new ones if you brake them.

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
My factory manual, in Section Transaxle Servicing, page 2-S22 shows how to remove it. At that point the tractor is pretty much torn apart. Looks like a major task.

sawmill

Equipment
bx24 backhoe/fel, 48" Bush mower
Nov 16, 2014
ione, washington
I had to replace the hst fan on my bx24. It's a major job. Afterwards I made a
shield for it. If for some reason I ever have to replace it again, while I have it torn
apart I'm going to cut the drive shaft and put a rigid coupling in it. I wish I had
done it the first time around. I don't know why the factory didn't do that, since the fan is so vulnerable.

Last edited:

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
The fan should be a two-part thing, two halves. Then, some simple method of connecting them, such as epoxy would save a lot of grief out there. Maybe some will come up with a fix we can use.

Orangeglow

Equipment
2015 BX2370
Jun 19, 2014
Prescott, Ontario
The fan should be a two-part thing, two halves. Then, some simple method of connecting them, such as epoxy would save a lot of grief out there. Maybe some will come up with a fix we can use.

I was thinking the exact same thing, except with my idea I would have a split
fan that could simply be bolted together with a couple of allen head bolts threading into imbedded female threads on the mating half.
I,m sure a master craftsman like 4shorts on TBN could make something like that work very easily.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Depends on the RPM's the fan is turning. That looks like a shaft mounted fan so the RPM's are probably near the engine RPMs. A fan turning that slow could have a bolt together make up if it was balanced enough.

Looking at the setup though. I think I'd just make a 2 piece shroud to replace the fan and have an electric fan just pump air through the shroud and past the transmission like the mechanical one does. The electric fan could be mounted off to the side and be easy to replace as well as be thermostatically controlled.

ncridgerunner

Equipment
BX23, finish mower, bush hog, box scraper, blade scraper, fertilizer spreader
Mar 31, 2013
Marion, NC
I replaced the fan on my BX-23. After taking up the deck, I was able (after much trial and error) to compress the shaft enough to get the fan in place.

I accomplished this using ratchet tie down straps to pull the shaft back.

The local Kubota Dealer said this is not possible to do on the BX-24.

After this ordeal I purchased a shield from Bxpanded and have never regretted having this protection.